• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Bimini Trip July 12-18th

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lets hope this holds.....there is still some discussion about having a negative covid test and being quarantined. Not sure how I'd be able to drive from Raleigh to Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale and say I've been quarantined for 14 days!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lets hope this holds.....there is still some discussion about having a negative covid test and being quarantined. Not sure how I'd be able to drive from Raleigh to Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale and say I've been quarantined for 14 days!
The quarantine thing was concern as well. I’m ok with testing if that’s what they decide to do in the end. My other concern is everything moves slower in the Bahamas and I’m not sure if the July 1st date was calculated on Bahamas time or not but it appears to be progressing nicely

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hoping they firm it up sooner than later. I've got flexibility on AirBNB reservation to cancel up to 1 week out but if we're not going to the Bahamas we're going to Florida with the boat and availability in Florida is dropping daily!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hoping they firm it up sooner than later. I've got flexibility on AirBNB reservation to cancel up to 1 week out but if we're not going to the Bahamas we're going to Florida with the boat and availability in Florida is dropping daily!
How about this for firming it up they will be allowing private boaters back on June 15th

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My brother is a firefighter/paramedic and has had multiple tests. Different results on each including antibody tests. The tests are pointless with the mutations and such already is my best guess.

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do we have a comm officer? I'm getting up to speed on marine VHF and noticed that these radios have group settings as well as a position polling function to display the other boats in the group. Have these been used in the past? What channels are normally used for the trip over and back and for making group announcements while there? Thanks for the help.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do we have a comm officer? I'm getting up to speed on marine VHF and noticed that these radios have group settings as well as a position polling function to display the other boats in the group. Have these been used in the past? What channels are normally used for the trip over and back and for making group announcements while there? Thanks for the help.
We use channel 69 for the whole trip. As we get closer we'll figure out the timing of the various crossing groups.

Yamaha212limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Add our crew of 8 to this trip. We have 2 confirmed reservations at Bimini Sands (units 10-C and 4-A). I also booked a 2 bedroom (unit 20-A) that I plan to cancel. Let me know if anyone needs it before I do.
We have a 2018 242X that is yet to be named.
I would be interested on that reservation. Still available?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We use channel 69 for the whole trip. As we get closer we'll figure out the timing of the various crossing groups.
So no-one has used the position polling feature? Seems like it would be a good backup in case of bad weather.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So no-one has used the position polling feature? Seems like it would be a good backup in case of bad weather.
This was discussed in one of the Bimini threads a few years ago. I think some had tried it but it was more involved than it initially seemed and with so many folks with varying equipment that they weren't experts on, and that may or may not be networked together, it was of limited use. My Plotter has the capability to show polled location info but my VHF only has NMEA 0183 versus the NMEA 2000 on my plotter, so networking them together, although not impossible, doesn't make sense for a single trip. I could literally buy a new NMEA 2000 VHF for the cost of the 0183 to 2000 converter cable, which run around $200.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We did share MMSI numbers in the past but not many people had chart plotters or numbers to make it useful/effective. The reality is that we cross in a group that doesn't lose sight of one another (or shouldn't). We cross when the weather looks to be good.

That said, it would be interesting to try and improve our coordination and location capabilities. My Garmin 94SV supports DSC and I think I have it wired correctly to my Standard Horizon radio, but honestly have NEVER tested this. This would require some time with the captains before departure to get this tested and understood.

That said, sharing MMSI numbers would be a good idea.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am keeping the group list up to date on the first post, so if you are joining this crossing and your name isn't there let me know.

Also, if you want to share your MMSI # there, I will add it.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I think some that go may have capability and not realize it. I bought my vhf before i understood much of that and it has dsc but not ais. I want to upgrade to have ais and a plotter but wife says not worth the money. Need an inexpensive option.