• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge pump not working

Sccala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wondering if anybody can help me here.… I have a 2011 242 Limited. I noticed first thing this spring, that my bilge pump wasn’t working. I’ve been using a handheld unit for the past month.… Not like I need much pumping anyway. But whatever.I still want it to work. I pulled it off of the mounting plate with those clips on the side. I checked to see if there was any kind of interference with the impeller. There’s not. The screen has been cleaned off as well. But when I turn the switch on at the dash, it does not pump. Do bilge pumps go bad? Or is it maybe a blown fuse?

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could test the wires to the bilge pump with the switch on to see if it’s getting power. If it’s getting power from the wires then yes the bilge pump is probably toast!

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is it original? I replace mine every 8-10 years or so. The bilge on my 2017 went bad last year. Like @Acard7 says, check the wires with a DMM first just in case.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get yourself a multimeter and see if you have 12v dc at the pump. Sometimes the shaft gets stuck, try to spin the propeller with a screw driver and then turn it on. Your bilge fuse breaker is at the helm area if you want to push it to try and reset it.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you check fuses / breaker ?

Sccala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Get yourself a multimeter and see if you have 12v dc at the pump. Sometimes the shaft gets stuck, try to spin the propeller with a screw driver and then turn it on. Your bilge fuse breaker is at the helm area if you want to push it to try and reset it.
I have a multimeter, but how do I test the wires? When it comes to electrical, I turn into a toddler. So, treat me as such as you explain what to do lol

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Its in the engine compartment just behind the engines bolted to the fiberglass transom wall. It the large plastic screw cap on the ECM computer under the round cap is the fuse box...........there should be a puller and even a few spare fuses also.

Hope this helps

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Its in the engine compartment just behind the engines bolted to the fiberglass transom wall. It the large plastic screw cap on the ECM computer under the round cap is the fuse box...........there should be a puller and even a few spare fuses also.

Hope this helps
Pretty sure the fuses in the ECU (engine control unit) are only for engine operations and not the bilge. The bilge is typically fused or circuit breaker controlled at the helm. There may also be a fuse at the battery.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a multimeter, but how do I test the wires? When it comes to electrical, I turn into a toddler. So, treat me as such as you explain what to do lol
Follow the wires back from the pump, my GUESS is that there will be a clip connector on that line to make swapping out the pump easy. Undo the connector and insert your multimeter into the wires coming from the boat side and see if you get voltage. If no voltage, then you have a power issue to the pump.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pretty sure the fuses in the ECU (engine control unit) are only for engine operations and not the bilge. The bilge is typically fused or circuit breaker controlled at the helm. There may also be a fuse at the battery.

The little round things have fuses behind them. It may be for the switch and/or light, and if so, then you have a line to trace for power

1000023755.jpg

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The little round things have fuses behind them. It may be for the switch and/or light, and if so, then you have a line to trace for power

View attachment 223009
Those are typically breaker buttons.....yours are fuses?

I was referencing his comment that the OP should check the fuses under the round caps on the ECU.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those are typically breaker buttons.....yours are fuses?

I was referencing his comment that the OP should check the fuses under the round caps on the ECU.
I gotcha.

I haven't had to use them or check them, but they're the same as some dash fuses in some of the trucks I drove for Pepsi, so I just assumed they were fuses behind there. Round 5 amp or 2.5's were what were typically in them.

I'll have to give them a closer look in a bit

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length