• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini July 1-8 2019 - Others welcome to join us - This trip is ON!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Christiana & @Wytiger , having a full size marine radio is really a good idea for this trip, I'd consider installing one vs just having a hand held radio. Personally, I wouldn't make the trip without one. You will get much better range and have much more security with one.

I see you've already mentioned getting gas cans....I would also ensure you have some speed nozzles and vents for them as it makes filling up on the ocean much better because its faster! (having had to rescue someone out of gas...I can attest to the value of this).

I have one more international trip (Saturday) and then Bimini!!!! Not long now! Hope the weather is nice to us!

Wytiger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've purchased a self priming siphon for refueling on the water. Do you still prefer the speed nozzle?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've purchased a self priming siphon for refueling on the water. Do you still prefer the speed nozzle?
I do prefer the nozzle....I can dump a 5 gallon can into the tank in something like 30 seconds. A siphon will take a two minutes. Some prefer the siphon approach though as you won't be out over the side of the boat. Each to their own. But do make sure you have practiced it before doing it the first time on the ocean.

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
House trained, boat trained, quiet mouth. Just bought our family of 5 our AR230. Not ready to commit to a Bimini with them till I do a dry run. BUT I have more time in the summer and would LOVE to do this trip, keep my mouth more quiet, my wallet more open and learn this trip. Anyone looking for a 1st mate for any of the bimini trips. 47 yr old Financial Advisor Dad of 3. Love to fly down, meet up and do the trip offering Gas and Lodging $$$ along with duties like filling gas can's etc. 27 years or inland and great lake boating experience. LOVE the blue water and LOVE to swim...anyone need a first mate? I'll buy the ticket and fly down and help defray your costs.

Christiana

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do prefer the nozzle....I can dump a 5 gallon can into the tank in something like 30 seconds. A siphon will take a two minutes. Some prefer the siphon approach though as you won't be out over the side of the boat. Each to their own. But do make sure you have practiced it before doing it the first time on the ocean.
My husband has been looking for a fast way to refuel. I like the idea of the nozzles but our gas cans are brand new. Everything I’m seeing says they’re for cans manufactured before 2009. Have you used these on a newer gas can? And yes, we’re planning to practice refueling this weekend!

Wytiger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My husband has been looking for a fast way to refuel. I like the idea of the nozzles but our gas cans are brand new. Everything I’m seeing says they’re for cans manufactured before 2009. Have you used these on a newer gas can? And yes, we’re planning to practice refueling this weekend!
We have this type of nozzle on our gas can for our lawnmower. We bought that can in 2015. I think my bil picked them up at harbor freight for 4-5 dollars

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
House trained, boat trained, quiet mouth. Just bought our family of 5 our AR230. Not ready to commit to a Bimini with them till I do a dry run. BUT I have more time in the summer and would LOVE to do this trip, keep my mouth more quiet, my wallet more open and learn this trip. Anyone looking for a 1st mate for any of the bimini trips. 47 yr old Financial Advisor Dad of 3. Love to fly down, meet up and do the trip offering Gas and Lodging $$$ along with duties like filling gas can's etc. 27 years or inland and great lake boating experience. LOVE the blue water and LOVE to swim...anyone need a first mate? I'll buy the ticket and fly down and help defray your costs.
Unfortunately our boat is full this year....last year we had space and took veedubtek and his wife.

I'm not sure if they will fit....if you have a harbor freight near you it might be worth checking them out.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
What is the status for booking at sands right now? I wonder if it is all vrbo or how it works while in transition. Looking ahead for july 2020 and no idea how to price rooms.
Probably upgrading to a 2 bedroom since the sil may be coming and another sil and husband are questionable.
Maybe lock in this years rates?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What is the status for booking at sands right now? I wonder if it is all vrbo or how it works while in transition. Looking ahead for july 2020 and no idea how to price rooms.
Probably upgrading to a 2 bedroom since the sil may be coming and another sil and husband are questionable.
The only rooms available are those owned by private owners. The pool of rooms owned by Robert's (being sold along with the common areas and docks) is not being rented right now as far as I know. @Bruce may know more.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lee,

There should be a new rental pool before 2020. I predict a grand re-opening for Memorial Day 2020.

I also expect that the new rental pool will come with new pricing that I can not predict. Bimini Bay rental rates are similar to the current Bimini Sands rates. They may act as a cap for Bimini Sands rates. Bimini Sands disfunction should be creating a shortage of lodging this year. However the ongoing power outages and the 24 arrests last night are likely to reduce rental demand.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I would much rather have personal owned units as they seemed far better condition.
I basically don't want to tell the person wanting to come with one price And it becomes more. Then i eat the difference although i can't imagine it skyrocketing too much. I have been wrong before and will be again

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Speedling, the nicest condos were the developer show condos. There also are a number of privately owned condos that are very nice as well as some that are poorly furnished and maintained. The Asplundh family has announced plans to buy Bimini Sands from Rupert Roberts. If they open up the unsold condos for rental I expect that they will be very nice.

@Julian, the sale to the Asplundh family is unlikely to close before your visit so Peter is likely to remain in charge while you are there. Power will likely be fluctuating or even off for long periods. I understand that a water leak was repaired restoring water pressure but that is the only improvement that I expect between now and your visit. If the power is off pumping water and fuel will be an issue.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian, I hope your are right but feel you should be mentally prepared for much longer power outages. The demand is low now compared to the 4th which will be the busiest period of the year.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian, I hope your are right but feel you should be mentally prepared for much longer power outages. The demand is low now compared to the 4th which will be the busiest period of the year.
Good point....I am mentally and physically preparing myself. I am bringing some small battery powered fans (they last 20 hours on low power) so we have air moving in the event of longer outages.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've explained to my family the situation in Bimini and even with all the drama, they still want to go and are very excited. They say they don't go there for the power or accommodations. They go for the water, the aquatic life and the peace and quiet. Hell, we're out on the boat 90% of the time anyway. But to cover my ass, I'll bring an extra couple of grand just in case we decide to spend a few days in the Nassau area or the Exumas.

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've explained to my family the situation in Bimini and even with all the drama, they still want to go and are very excited. They say they don't go there for the power or accommodations. They go for the water, the aquatic life and the peace and quiet. Hell, we're out on the boat 90% of the time anyway. But to cover my ass, I'll bring an extra couple of grand just in case we decide to spend a few days in the Nassau area or the Exumas.
I’m at Resort World right now, the lights are bright, the Internet is fast and the air conditioner is cold!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m at Resort World right now, the lights are bright, the Internet is fast and the air conditioner is cold!
Were you there during the arrests? 150 officers invading the island at night would have been exciting!

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Were you there during the arrests? 150 officers invading the island at night would have been exciting!
No, but the locals said they were rounding up some people involved in murders.