• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bonehead move...forgot to lower antenna...hit bridge....grrrr....repair???

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK you smart peeps out there, this bonehead forgot to lower his new antenna and went under a bridge and cracked the very tip off (like the last 2 inches....perhaps less). The element inside is undamaged, and from everything I've read online, the fiberglass is just the support for the wire, so if you use something non-metal, one can simply repair the tip. The easiest solution would simply be a rubber cap of some sort.....any ideas on this?

Should I just bit the bullet and pay $65+tax and get a new one and chaulk it up to experience....or attempt to repair it?

Uhhhh... Jet boat fleet admirals don't have half ass broken crap on their boat! Just saying... Leave that to us lowly capts.

OK you smart peeps out there, this bonehead forgot to lower his new antenna and went under a bridge and cracked the very tip off (like the last 2 inches....perhaps less). The element inside is undamaged, and from everything I've read online, the fiberglass is just the support for the wire, so if you use something non-metal, one can simply repair the tip. The easiest solution would simply be a rubber cap of some sort.....any ideas on this?

Should I just bit the bullet and pay $65+tax and get a new one and chaulk it up to experience....or attempt to repair it?
I think I would try to fix it, otherwise you will need to run the cable all the way to the radio again - major PIA I would think.
Unless you have the fancy connector - if it exists - I would like to know if you do - I may want to upgrade to that!

--

Should be a simple fix with any clear two part epoxy, imho

Is this the quick disconnect antenna/mount from Shakespeare you posted about putting on? I may have a 4' spare if I can find it. I paid for one and they shipped two. It is for VHF and white. I will look for it.

Oh BTW pictures help.

Edit: Found it, could be a cheap alternative for you @JulianPM me if interested.
20180506_124034.jpg 20180506_124046.jpg 20180506_124105.jpg

Last edited:
How long is the piece that broke off? Maybe a piece of clear tubing and cap from hardware store will work? I have a 3D printer, some hose and printed cap come to mind if you can't find a matching cap for the tubing you use. If the repair can be done such that looks decent enough to not make you mad when you look at it, I would certainly attempt it. If it looks good, you can pass it as a customization instead of a repair!!!

I think I would try to fix it, otherwise you will need to run the cable all the way to the radio again - major PIA I would think.
Unless you have the fancy connector - if it exists - I would like to know if you do - I may want to upgrade to that!

--

The fancy connector is nice. Just unscrew the antenna right off and stow in the ski locker.

The fancy connector is nice. Just unscrew the antenna right off and stow in the ski locker.
Do you guys have a link, please. i'm not finding it...
I would like one!

EDIT - link to something members here have used, that works.

--

Last edited:
Sorry this happened ... but this is oddly comforting. The flag officers do make mistakes ... fellow swabbies take note! Come on @Julian ... please use some of my FAVs duct tape or crazy glue and post a pic.

Thank you.
Are those quick connect mounts a (fairly) new product?
I feel I've been sheltered...

--

Last edited:
That one maybe, but definitely not new. I had a removable one on my 242 for the 2015 Bimini run. I had a Pacific Aerials P6101 w/ a P6115 mount on the front of the helm. @biffdotorg has it now, and the antenna is still probably stowed in the helm storage. Only ever had it on for the Bimini trip.

Very clean installation. What was the process for running the antenna cable through the tower?

@Julian I say cap it and leave it shorter, that way you'll clear the same bridge the next time you leave it up... :cool:

Thank you.
Are those quick connect mounts a (fairly) new product?
I feel I've been sheltered...

--
"Fairly new" is subjective. I have been using mine for 2 years. One of the first mods. I put on the boat after we got it.

Last edited:
Back