• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brand new 255 FSH Sport E - Manufacturing Defects?

ril3y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hello All,

I am super new to jet boats. I researched what I wanted and it was the 255 FSH Sport E. I quickly put my name on waiting lists all over the country and got lucky last weekend. I had to drive to Kentucky to get the boat but it was worth it! I do not want to come across as petty or nit-picky on this posting so I am asking for advice.

I have noticed there are things that are just not "right" and some are straight up lower quality then I personally would expect out of a $85k boat. I will list a few things I have found and kind of am asking... Is this to be expected? I have never bought a new jet boat before.

I have created a google photos album that you can look at here for all of the images and examples. You can also comment on the photos if you have an opinion.

There are changes to the boat that were not in the advertisements and Yamaha's official website.
1. The stereo controls are missing, they were on the dash next to the throttle but now are completely gone. You have to mess with a touch screen to try to lower the volume. The unit on the aft swim deck is still there.

2. This is the big one. The handles for the stern seating were these nice aluminum squarish integrated directly into the gunnels. My wife loved these. However now that we have the boat they changed it to a chrome rod that just screws in.

3. Also a head scratcher. The boat + trailer height is listed at 117" which would have BARELY fit into my workshop. However after I got it home. It's nowhere close to that number. At least 1 foot (almost 2 feet counting the non flip down nav light) above 117". This really screws me as now I have to budget a 1.5k cover and possibly off site storage as it snows here in MD.

Low Quality Control / Defects:
1. The engine cover has these little snaps that you push to to allow it to lift up. These look to be cut out with a skill saw, and a poorly skilled worker at that. Over saw marks etc. I would expect this to be something that was baked into the design like the rest of the boat?

2. I took off the plexiglass over the console (top area) where you would place a VHF radio. Its rough cut fiberglass as well. Not a huge deal but the weird thing is there were 2 nuts just free floating sitting in there. I have not got this on the water yet but I suspect this would be super annoying if they started rocking around in there. (no picture of this)

3. The T top that sits on the aluminum tower is slightly off to one side (say 1/2"). No picture of this.

4. Inside compartments there are pretty rough fiberglass protrusions. Not sure if this is normal either.

Now that that is out of the way. I really still love this boat. I think its pretty amazing! What I am trying to understand in this post is am I being too critical? I can't help feel like a little bit of bait and switch going on. I get if I saw a prototype boat and they changed things. But the majority of the "missing" features are still shown right on Yamaha's website.

Can anyone with more experience with Yamaha and buying a new boats in general chime in?

IMG_1970.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would discuss the missing items with your dealer. Clearly they made some changes from their prototype to the final version (I wonder if their site mentions this- I doubt it).

As for the quality issues, we've seen some comments from some new owners that they've had some concerns. Most dealers will correct those issues for you - this is the downside of buying a boat not in your area. My dealer has been amazing about any issues I had - there were some gel coat scratches - they fix them all.

ril3y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would discuss the missing items with your dealer. Clearly they made some changes from their prototype to the final version (I wonder if their site mentions this- I doubt it).

As for the quality issues, we've seen some comments from some new owners that they've had some concerns. Most dealers will correct those issues for you - this is the downside of buying a boat not in your area. My dealer has been amazing about any issues I had - there were some gel coat scratches - they fix them all.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yah it is a down side. However, I think most of this is on Yamaha right now. There is a dealer in Baltimore that I suspect I could go to if Yamaha decides to "fix" it. My dealer is reaching out to his Yamaha rep right now. So we will see.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick reply. Yah it is a down side. However, I think most of this is on Yamaha right now. There is a dealer in Baltimore that I suspect I could go to if Yamaha decides to "fix" it. My dealer is reaching out to his Yamaha rep right now. So we will see.
Dont be afraid to call customer relations and get corporate involved. I had to, and Im still not satisfied because my dealer isnt even capable of fixing stuff to an expected standard. Dealer experience will vary thank god, mine was great prior to purchase, during purchase and delivery, but they failed at the PDI and subsequent fixes. Keep riding yamaha corporate as you want everything documented.

In regards to the missing items and or changes from the tour boat.....compare it to the boat on the site current. Are they different from that? If not you have a legitimate gripe. If things got changed due to material shortages and or a change, you might have to live with it.

TAKE PICTURES OF EVERYTHING! Keep for reference and if things go wrong in future you have some kinda leg to stand on.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
just looked on yamaha site. They def show those gunnel rails and the stereo controls. ID BE PISSED. Kinda false advertising if you ask me.

Run this up to corporate for sure!

ril3y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dont be afraid to call customer relations and get corporate involved. I had to, and Im still not satisfied because my dealer isnt even capable of fixing stuff to an expected standard. Dealer experience will vary thank god, mine was great prior to purchase, during purchase and delivery, but they failed at the PDI and subsequent fixes. Keep riding yamaha corporate as you want everything documented.

In regards to the missing items and or changes from the tour boat.....compare it to the boat on the site current. Are they different from that? If not you have a legitimate gripe. If things got changed due to material shortages and or a change, you might have to live with it.

TAKE PICTURES OF EVERYTHING! Keep for reference and if things go wrong in future you have some kinda leg to stand on.
Thanks Wicked92! Like I said I am about 8 hours away from where I purchased it, however they are still escalating it to their Yamaha rep for me. The boat on the website 255 FSH Sport E has everything shown and I have listed the differences. I do suspect that covid shortages etc had to do with this. However, I am still paying full price for "cheaper" components. I have lots of photos!

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
even this video shows the stereo controls and the integrated handles!

ril3y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
just looked on yamaha site. They def show those gunnel rails and the stereo controls. ID BE PISSED. Kinda false advertising if you ask me.

Run this up to corporate for sure!
Just noticed you have a 20201 25' too. NICE boat!
Yah they are escalating it. We will see how it goes. I honestly have no idea how they would "Fix" this as it looks like its baked into the gunnels. My wife is pissed. That sleek area she was really digging. If I am fishing she can chill up in the stern and she just "like it".

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Jetboatpilots boat is similar to yours.....

ril3y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Jetboatpilots boat is similar to yours.....

This is the ONLY other person I have seen to actually have this boat BTW. On youtube that is. It does look like this engine cover snaps are "hand sawn" too. I am a wood worker and kind of a perfectionist when it comes to cuts so perhaps it just irks me more as its a noob issue to over saw things. You HAVE to sneak up on your line :)

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
While I do not have a FSH, I have similar issues. I am missing the USB input at the helm for the audio system, a 12v power source at the stern, and there should be 2 USB charging ports on the port side, not 1. These items are listed in the build data. Also, in the owners manual, there are instructions on how to use the equalizer, that software is missing.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Without looking to confirm it, I will wager that in the fine print somewhere Yamaha states they can make changes where ever and whenever they please.

ril3y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
While I do not have a FSH, I have similar issues. I am missing the USB input at the helm for the audio system, a 12v power source at the stern, and there should be 2 USB charging ports on the port side, not 1. These items are listed in the build data. Also, in the owners manual, there are instructions on how to use the equalizer, that software is missing.
The audio controls missing on the dash is more than just an annoyance for me. You have to click though a menu to get to the controls on the 7" lcd. I think this could be an issue while driving then needing to turn the stereo off in a hurry. There is a slight work around, there is a phone mount in the center that I could bring up the audio on and just use that to control it. But still, having a tangible waterproof button to turn down / stop is important I think.

Did you bring up your issues to Yamaha?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This is the ONLY other person I have seen to actually have this boat BTW. On youtube that is. It does look like this engine cover snaps are "hand sawn" too. I am a wood worker and kind of a perfectionist when it comes to cuts so perhaps it just irks me more as its a noob issue to over saw things. You HAVE to sneak up on your line :)
this is just them hiring underskilled workers, and no quality control. Or they just have very loose quality standards now that the shop foreman let slide. This stuff wouldnt fly in my shop. It takes just as long to do it right as it is to butcher things like this.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Captain obvious here…

This last year has been an unprecedented time in our lifetimes. Tell these issues to someone who lived through the Great Depression and WWII and little sympathy would be offered. Still, it makes you want to spit the dummy and throw all the toys out of the pram!

This world wide shut down has spotlighted the business plans of just time inventory, off shoring of many of the components that go into these boats, as well as so many people willing to just sit at home and collect unemployment ( there was no unemployment in the Great Depression).

I have a high degree of confidence Yamaha will make right things that are wrong in the end.. they are scrambling like a lot of other industries. Ford has thousands of 2021 F-150’s in storage because they cannot get computer chips.

Things are turning around slowly but surely. I’m seeing an increase in goods that have been in short supply for a while now, it just takes time.

If your boat works, take it out and enjoy it as much as you possibly can and hopefully by the time next off season comes around the supply chains will be back to normal and all the fixes will be taken care of. But definitely document everything with either your Yamaha dealer or corporate. As @Wicked92 states, take pictures of everything and email them to the dealer or corporate so you have it all documented.

ril3y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Captain obvious here…

This last year has been an unprecedented time in our lifetimes. Tell these issues to someone who lived through the Great Depression and WWII and little sympathy would be offered. Still, it makes you want to spit the dummy and throw all the toys out of the pram!

This world wide shut down has spotlighted the business plans of just time inventory, off shoring of many of the components that go into these boats, as well as so many people willing to just sit at home and collect unemployment ( there was no unemployment in the Great Depression).

I have a high degree of confidence Yamaha will make right things that are wrong in the end.. they are scrambling like a lot of other industries. Ford has thousands of 2021 F-150’s in storage because they cannot get computer chips.

Things are turning around slowly but surely. I’m seeing an increase in goods that have been in short supply for a while now, it just takes time.

If your boat works, take it out and enjoy it as much as you possibly can and hopefully by the time next off season comes around the supply chains will be back to normal and all the fixes will be taken care of. But definitely document everything with either your Yamaha dealer or corporate. As @Wicked92 states, take pictures of everything and email them to the dealer or corporate so you have it all documented.
I get what you are saying, and in my post I stated that I am still happy with the boat. I do plan on taking out this weekend. I understand how supply chains have been affected. I also suspect that if I ordered something and it could not be completed as ordered that Yamaha would explain and let the buyer know. The real MAJOR non cosmetic thing is the mis-information of the height on trailer. This value is off by quite a bit and has upset my ability to store this thing properly. That being said I am curious if there is anything else that is listed that is incorrect. The inconsistency of features are specifications that I have discovered is a bit concerning to me. This post is really an information gathering post.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I get what you are saying, and in my post I stated that I am still happy with the boat. I do plan on taking out this weekend. I understand how supply chains have been affected. I also suspect that if I ordered something and it could not be completed as ordered that Yamaha would explain and let the buyer know. The real MAJOR non cosmetic thing is the mis-information of the height on trailer. This value is off by quite a bit and has upset my ability to store this thing properly. That being said I am curious if there is anything else that is listed that is incorrect. The inconsistency of features are specifications that I have discovered is a bit concerning to me. This post is really an information gathering post.
Right on…. I hope that you have a great time on the water this weekend! As far as storage.. I feel your pain on not being able to put in the barn there.. as an alternative check out Empire covers, you should be able to find a 1200 or 600 denier nylon cover for your boat. I have one for mine and during the shoulder seasons it has held up well to a lot of snow and really cold temps. I got the 600 one as it is around 40 pounds and the 1200 is 80 pounds, glad I got the one I did as it is a careful business putting it on and taking it off. Takes about 7-8 minutes to install or remove it.

BD36EF31-B5FD-46CD-B635-799C8F15D834.jpeg

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
The audio controls missing on the dash is more than just an annoyance for me. You have to click though a menu to get to the controls on the 7" lcd. I think this could be an issue while driving then needing to turn the stereo off in a hurry. There is a slight work around, there is a phone mount in the center that I could bring up the audio on and just use that to control it. But still, having a tangible waterproof button to turn down / stop is important I think.

Did you bring up your issues to Yamaha?
June 19th is my scheduled 10 hr. Will be bringing my list.

ril3y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We had a blast! Went out to the bay under the Chesapeake bay bridge and into the magothy river. Little chop 20-25 mph seemed to be the best speeds with the state of the Chesapeake today. My wife named the boat knot a cop because my daughter said it looks like a police boat. It kind of does.

Attachments

ril3y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Update, they agreed to "fix" things that were different than what the website shows via warranty support via my dealership. So we will see.