• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
MOPAR slow car rather drive NO car!😃
I just traded my 392 Charger for a Hybrid back in January so we could buy our new Yamaha. I really miss that burnout machine, especially now with gas prices at record lows.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just traded my 392 Charger for a Hybrid back in January so we could buy our new Yamaha. I really miss that burnout machine, especially now with gas prices at record lows.
Gas....what is that? LOL.. Our gas expenditure has gone down 75% since this started. Same with dining out and dry cleaning.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Gas....what is that? LOL.. Our gas expenditure has gone down 75% since this started. Same with dining out and dry cleaning.
Ha! I was just informing my wife of our numbers last night. January we spent $260 on fuel. February with the new hybrid we spent $160. March with her being home and me taking the hybrid and not the truck to work we spent $60.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yep. I filled up my truck with diesel on the 14th of March and I still have over half a tank.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
True that! My wife had to take a 20% pay cut during this ordeal but with us not going out and spending money on gas I think the deduction hasn't made a dent in our income.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Both Still working here! But, with no soccer, (i would be coaching two teams, school and club, and driving 90 miles a day, 4 days a week) gas is a non issue. Motorcycle weather helps that. Wifey just started wearing a mask to work, they are busy as ever, especially with ship from store.... (shes Target manager) I did the mask for the first time at the grocery store Monday. But... just used my riding balaclava which is pretty well sealed. There were maybe 10 people there.

eating take out an awful lot.... keep local eateries going. (and relieve stress lol)

Trying to remain positive, ignoring the WH press conferences, theres nothing to learn from them, let the medical experts handle it.....just doing our part to make it simpler! But, Then I have to hit menards, moms sink supply is leaking badly,.. its SWAMPED. Thats not the issue... but what IS: do you need 6 people(two of them elderly) to buy potting soil? ugh.

I still hope we see the peak soon, and numbers drop, and we can begin to plan recovery. The public panic is the uncertainty.

They closed a local boat ramp this week... which was promptly re-opened after much public petitioning. This is how many of us will socially distance for the remainder of the spring/summer lol

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My Ford Pass app for my truck sent me a message yesterday to start my truck to maintain good battery health! That's sad.......
Mine did too, I think it was just a friendly suggestion to all.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
LOL...gas for cars $0.0 ------ Gas for boat: Same as always :)

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
But, Then I have to hit menards, moms sink supply is leaking badly,.. its SWAMPED. Thats not the issue... but what IS: do you need 6 people(two of them elderly) to buy potting soil? ugh.
Michigan is pissed off at Menards.
Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said the retailer is using marketing and sales practices to draw in customers for non-essential purposes. She sent Menards a letter on Wednesday demanding the company stop any activities that violate the spirit of Whitmer's stay home order.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This is a bit unnerving. Looks like a fair bit of extrapolation based on one relatively small data set, but if true, this will make getting the world reliably back to work (before populatioms are vaccinated) much more difficult. Key finding: based on early-ish Wuhan outbreak data, R0 is not about 2.2 as has been estimated, but is closer to 5.7. Ouch.

At the risk of getting flamed a bit and trying to keep politics out of it, does it seems like IF the R0 number is that high, then likely this thing was here long before January 21 and the rate of asymptomatic people is much much higher than we know? The first human to human transmission case occurred here in Chicago at the end of January, a woman traveled home from Wuhan and gave it to her husband. Wouldn't it spread just as fast here as New York City? Currently Chicago's biggest hospital system is nowhere NEAR even close to alert levels for running out of supplies or equipment (confidential inside info so I'll leave it at that). There are stories of people showing up to donate blood in small communities where 60 people are tested, none of whom have symptoms, 67% of which have the virus. Guys, I know this is serious, and I am not trying to downplay anything, but just what are we really accomplishing by sheltering in place AFTER this thing is very universal? There have been numerous stories of folks contracting this without coming into contact with a KNOWN case, but it had to come from somewhere. Could we in fact be beyond the real height of this thing?

Some other interesting statistical oddities include the number of pneumonia deaths this season are dramatically lower than in previous years. Are these cases being reported as Coronavirus deaths? We know not everyone dying has a test, especially early on. Some people were told no by health departments when they asked for tests for deceased family members. I apologize and don't want to "trigger" anyone with my statements here, but if we can't air our opinions and occasionally vent here then what's the point of a forum? Maybe it's only me, and I risk a lot of push back for saying it, but feeling a bit angry that through all of this we aren't even allowed to talk about plans for putting our economy back to work. Coronavirus is dangerous, of course. But what happens in 6 months when people don't have health insurance or money for other necessities?

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Michigan is pissed off at Menards.
Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said the retailer is using marketing and sales practices to draw in customers for non-essential purposes. She sent Menards a letter on Wednesday demanding the company stop any activities that violate the spirit of Whitmer's stay home order.
I don't know about Michigan, but our local Menards has limited shopping to 2 people per "party" and nobody under 16 in the store at all.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Menards here did the same thing. I was like, "cool, i'll use the pickup at store option then!" NOPE, they charge extra for that.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Stats out of GA as of today. So far we’ve had 1 death under 50 with no underlying conditions and it was a 31 year old male. Not trying to state anything, just putting out facts from our state.

DF175162-2973-4945-A2D0-D99362469261.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nissan had a really bad run of altimas especially in the 2000's. It left a bad impression for everyone. I never thought i'd buy a Nissan but last year I bought a 2010 Nissan Pathfinder that fit all my requirements. I like the truck with the exception of the bad gas mileage for a V6.
We are going into year two of a Nissan Rogue......It's a fine transportation appliance at 18k miles in. There is quite literally NOTHING remarkable about it. It's as vanilla of a vehicle as you can get. But the wife likes it because it's quiet, smooth, the right size and has a giant sunroof. I like it because it's cheap to own and operate, and I don't have to drive it often.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The death rates I have seen for other areas too point to a very large impact to those already prone to sickness. In New York 80% of the dead and over 60 years old. those 70+ are 63% of the total dead. Coronavirus: New York state issues list of deaths by age

The majority of those with the disease at any age still recuperate, which is good, but the rate of death is much higher for those older, and that's why they are so greatly represented in the death figures.

0 to 9
0​
10 to 19
2​
0.06%​
20 to 29
22​
0.62%​
30 to 39
76​
2.13%​
40 to 49
158​
4.43%​
50 to 59
377​
10.58%​
60 to 69
663​
18.61%​
70+
2265​
63.57%​
Total
3563​

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The death rates I have seen for other areas too point to a very large impact to those already prone to sickness. In New York 80% of the dead and over 60 years old. those 70+ are 63% of the total dead. Coronavirus: New York state issues list of deaths by age

The majority of those with the disease at any age still recuperate, which is good, but the rate of death is much higher for those older, and that's why they are so greatly represented in the death figures.

0 to 9
0​
10 to 19
2​
0.06%​
20 to 29
22​
0.62%​
30 to 39
76​
2.13%​
40 to 49
158​
4.43%​
50 to 59
377​
10.58%​
60 to 69
663​
18.61%​
70+
2265​
63.57%​
Total
3563​

There might be many reasons for that of course but also some very interesting biology.
Unlike many DNA viruses cleared by the so-called “innate” immune system, covid viruse is primarily cleared by antibodies. As we age the so-called “repertoire” of available antibodies becomes restricted, or “oligoclonal” - and therefore less useful for clearing infections, and more prone to give rise to various blood cancers instead (leukemia/lymphoma).

Evolutionarily speaking, it makes sense - humans did not evolve to live past reproductive age of about 30-something years, lol. Consequently our immune system, and more specifically the “adaptive” part of it, did not evolve under stringent pressure to function really well at old age as we become reproductively irrelevant, evolutionarily speaking that is, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.