• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I took a massive pay cut. Whole company did....anyone making over 100k took a cut, and the more you make the more was cut. Some people being furloughed, layoffs, etc.

Fortunately our expenses are down some too (but no where near as much as my pay cut).

Hospitals are stopping paying their IT bills....so shit is rolling down hill. Elective surgeries have mostly been cancelled - which is hospital's primary revenue stream. I expect we'll see some hospitals fail/close without support.

Neighbor just flew up to NY (nurse) to help NY medical staff - he'll be there two weeks, then quarantined in a hotel for 2 weeks.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took a massive pay cut. Whole company did....anyone making over 100k took a cut, and the more you make the more was cut. Some people being furloughed, layoffs, etc.

Fortunately our expenses are down some too (but no where near as much as my pay cut).

Hospitals are stopping paying their IT bills....so shit is rolling down hill. Elective surgeries have mostly been cancelled - which is hospital's primary revenue stream. I expect we'll see some hospitals fail/close without support.

Neighbor just flew up to NY (nurse) to help NY medical staff - he'll be there two weeks, then quarantined in a hotel for 2 weeks.
Well, welcome to the club... In my case - new job which is pretty strictly NGS cancer diagnostics, and the volumes are down multifold across all testing panels. Except the new the covid testing is up (my company became major covid testing provider on the Eastern seaboard, overnight) but that does not even begin to fill the revenue gap due to loss of regular testing.

--

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

We have been notified that healthcare is going to be slow to pay their bills. MN health care is slated to lose $3B in the next 90 days, see this article. A friend says they are going through 2nd round of layoffs at his hospital system, first one was 25% of their workforce. They will need a bailout to continue, which we will all end up paying for and our children.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@31BVeteran, I received "200 Clear Report Covers 7 Mil 8-1/2 x 11 Plastic Binding Sheets unpunched" from orelam on eBay this morning.

They are equally clear to the Xerox Clear Color Laser Transparencies that I had been using, a little thicker and half the cost.

The 200 packs of 7 mil are sold out but other quantities and thicknesses are available from the same seller.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have been notified that healthcare is going to be slow to pay their bills. MN health care is slated to lose $3B in the next 90 days, see this article. A friend says they are going through 2nd round of layoffs at his hospital system, first one was 25% of their workforce. They will need a bailout to continue, which we will all end up paying for and our children.
China should have to pay for all this. The CCP is to blame for the source and spread of this man made virus.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
China should have to pay for all this. The CCP is to blame for the source and spread of this man made virus.
Something will happen but that all depends on our upcoming election.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If that is proven I would agree.

However a mostly American, international group of scientists without Chinese involvement concluded that the virus was unlikely to be man made.

"It is improbable that SARS-CoV-2 emerged through laboratory manipulation of a related SARS-CoV-like coronavirus. As noted above, the RBD of SARS-CoV-2 is optimized for binding to human ACE2 with an efficient solution different from those previously predicted. Furthermore, if genetic manipulation had been performed, one of the several reverse-genetic systems available for betacoronaviruses would probably have been used19. However, the genetic data irrefutably show that SARS-CoV-2 is not derived from any previously used virus backbone."

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
L
I don't know where you live, but I can tell you - where my family is staying right now very little has changed for anyone there to see as people there live as if (almost) nothing happened, in rural setting there is plenty of social distancing to start with. Not so much in more populous places - this thing gone out of control would no doubt had ended our economy as we know it.
--
Precisely why a "one size fits all" approach to our response has been such a huge mistake. I don't think anyone can tell us if we have controlled it or not. Testing will tell that story. But either way our economy (and by extension us) has paid the price. I really have a disdain for the political jockeying surrounding this deal on both sides of the aisle, all it does is muddy the waters.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
L

Precisely why a "one size fits all" approach to our response has been such a huge mistake. I don't think anyone can tell us if we have controlled it or not. Testing will tell that story. But either way our economy (and by extension us) has paid the price. I really have a disdain for the political jockeying surrounding this deal on both sides of the aisle, all it does is muddy the waters.
I couldn’t agree more.
My point was meant to be more along the lines alternatives such as mob rule are unlikely to improve the economy.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don’t think anyone is saying doing nothing would be good. I’m just saying the local gov't overreach and arresting people is a bit much and NOT what this country was founded on. LEO's and state officials are sworn in and take an oath to uphold the Constitution. In my state, in short it says this. Nowhere does it have *exceptions to the rule* because of virus. That's my second biggest problem with this whole ordeal is the state and local governments abusing their powers. The biggest problem I have is nobody likes to talk all about the elephant in the room. Those that have been directly affected the most in the entire country and that is the MILLIONS of people who have lost their jobs. The many small businesses that will likely not survive this shutdown, stimulus package or not. Those impacts have a HUGE trickle down effect on those affected not to mention you and I in our local communities. Many may become homeless, lose their families, many may die from starvation, suicide, deep depression, turn to drugs and alcohol to cope and a slew of other issues when faced with such adversity and stress. Potentially far more damage will come from job loss and business loss than this virus will cause. Look you can still “social distance” and do your personal hygiene without state official overreach or nanny state hand holding. That’s what we were all doing before these shutdowns was it not? The numbers for this virus are WAY DOWN from initial doom and gloom analysts and so-called experts’ numbers. In my state we were supposed to lose over 5,000 people and that was a “best case scenario if we did everything right”. That number has since then been a laughable moving target that it went down to 2.500, then 1.500, then 500 and now currently they say somewhere around 430 people projected to die from the virus. Want to know how many died on average each year from the flu in my state? 1,200 people. I don’t follow each state but I would love to know what y’alls numbers initially were projected to be compared to what it actually is today. Hell at one time they said my state was going to be the 4th highest death toll state in the country based of per capita. Completely not the case at all today. That could change I guess but we seem to be plateauing here.

I don't know about your own states but the way they portrayed it here was INCLUDING social distancing, shutting down schools, locked in homes "self isolating" etc. So it's not like the numbers all the sudden we corrected because people were "doing their part". That was always factored into the numbers here. Maybe not in your area. So why the massive disparity in numbers? Is it possible the analyst and so-called experts got it wrong? Well I can't answer that for them but based off articles I've read from Stanford University professors (I hope that is a good enough source for some of you but I doubt it lol) they seem to think we may have overreacted to unknowns a bit much. That's not a bad thing I guess as hindsight is 20/20 but when it's being driven HARD by MSM with little to no glimmer of hope it tends to cause people to overreact and panic when maybe, just maybe, it wasn't required for the ENTIRE country to shutdown. Maybe protect those that are most vulnerable rather than include everyone in this mess. Maybe test weekly instead of those only with symptoms? I don't have the answers. I just know that I know more people that are personally affected by layoff's and business shutdowns than by the virus itself. Might be different in your area but unless you live in a massively populated city, it's likely the same story for your neck of the woods. If hospitals across the country were as "overrun" as the media would love for you to believe then the numbers in my state would be inline with their initial projections. But they aren't and apparently its not that way across most of the country either since our country as a whole is rural more than densely populated. Surely y'all have seen the stupid tiktok videos of nurses and doctors dancing in the hospitals? How is that possible if this was truly "a war" across this entire nation? Even if it were that dire then wtf?! and how would it be considered acceptable to do when time is of the essence in a pandemic? That's about as tone deaf as you could get, I'm sorry. It simply is not that dire across the country months into this thing and the numbers show that. Sure it's bad in overpopulated cities, which ironically were already overun from allowing sanctuary to thousands of illegals (nobody talks about that metric either). Nobody is disputing that it would be bad there, but the MSM narrative this is going on everywhere simply doesn't add up. I'm sorry it just doesn't. Better yet when has the MSM ever been right in your lifetime? Why trust these overpaid fools now as if they suddenly grew a moral conscience and cared about this country to report unbiased information?

I wished some of you would look at things more objectively instead of trying to smear anyone who dares question things as some sort of political conspiracy theorist. Nobody is saying the virus isn’t real. We all know it is. But what we also know is there is no sense in living if we just let the country continue to be shutoff. People are going to need to still do their part in social distancing, hygiene or whatever but at the same time get back to work. Whether that means your employer comes up with better safety protocols and measure then that’s up to them but we will be doomed way worse by living like hermits locked in our houses because employers will not be able to continue providing jobs for people if this goes on for more months. Your and my jobs will eventually be gone if we continue to be shutdown. You can bet on that. Those are the real consequences you can see unfolding in real-time today unlike whatever this virus plans to do which BTW nobody knows the answer to. So yes, let's live inside our homes and pretend our employers have infinite funds and resources and will pay everyone their salaries for infinity or hell even for 6 more months of this. Maybe y'all got some high paying jobs and have no fear but the rest of the country doesn't and that is far more scarier than the virus itself and is far more likely to have irreversible affects on our economy. It takes most people a lifetime to build a business to be successful. They don't just grow on trees and neither does money, bills, car notes, mortgages, etc. The uncertainty of our economy and the police state government officials is more scarier to me than this virus at this point...based off the numbers being reported of course. So yes, that is what I live for as someone questioned earlier. That is why we are starting to see people protest. They see their rights being stripped from them and overrun by fear mongering and bad or incomplete data. They see their jobs are gone for the unforeseeable future and that scares them, as it should.

As for these state governors and offices overreaching yes it is for sure happening. Even in states that have nowhere near the numbers as overpopulated areas like NYC does. Please tell me how a powerboat is any more likely to get you sick than a sail boat or canoe. Please explain how it makes sense to shutdown vast, large open green spaces in parks but allow people to congregate to small narrow walking paths if social distance is important. Please explain to me why there are curfews. Does the virus become more deadly at night? Is it nocturnal? No. Please tell me where to find the clause where it says you can’t peacefully assemble and protest if there is a virus going around. Please explain why the hell we are letting prisoners out while at the same time denying gun shops as essential in some states just makes zero sense at all. Honestly who gives a shit if a prisoner dies in prison? I certainly don’t because they weren’t productive members of society in the first place. I’d rather care more about law-abiding citizens than prisoners safety but call me crazy I guess. none of that I just mentioned makes a damn bit of logical sense yet that IS what is going on around the entire country. It's government knee-jerk reaction at its finest hour (read saddest). Like I said it’s a slippery slope we are on now and if you folks think state officials aren’t widening their eyes on this overreaching approach you’re sadly living in denial and willing to turn a blind eye to the core of what this country was founded upon. As mentioned, we are NOT under Marshall Law yet you wouldn’t know that based on the actions of some of these state officials. So yes, pay attention to your rights being stripped all in the name of uncertainty. It only is going to lay out the ground work for three next thing to come around and that is sad and certainly not something I want to see happen in my lifetime. Your Rights as an American are more valued than living in fear your entire life. I’d rather die fighting at the hands of tyranny than from this virus. YMMV

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
spread of this man made virus.
You realize this is demostrable, right? And it so happens it’s currently demonstrably wrong. The covid virus harbors no traces of genetic recombineering.

I think it is completely irresponsible to jump to those kinds of conclusions and spread them. I’m no China lover, but conspiracy theories are just dangerous. I don’t know of anything good ever coming out of those.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Speedling, the Chinese media is tightly controlled. I do not know where your contact is located but I am not surprised that Chinese in other regions would not be informed about what happened in Wuhan.

The Chinese certainly hurt themselves economically in the short term with the severe measures that they took. They were slow to take action but once they did it was extreme. They even welded apartment doors shut leaving a gap for food deliveries.

Those extreme measures reduced the spread outside of Wuhan and the surrounding providence. Some business tried to reopen too early, saw spread among workers and shut down again.

In the US we have not been able to limit the virus to a region. It is everywhere. We face two major options; we could try to continue business as usual with the virus forcing a shutdown as 60% of the workforce becomes ill and 6% die or non essential workers shelter in place reducing the spread to minimize overloading to the health care system, improve outcomes for those that become sick and reduce the number of health care workers lost.

Other countries will encourage civil disobedience. The more the US is harmed the better for them. The longer we resist sheltering in place the longer we will be fighting this.

This fight should not be about politics but focused on reducing the prevalence of the virus as quickly as possible with as little loss of life as possible.
Contact is a 34 year old male in Liuyang.
Just thought his perspective was a bit alarming!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If that is proven I would agree.

However a mostly American, international group of scientists without Chinese involvement concluded that the virus was unlikely to be man made.

"It is improbable that SARS-CoV-2 emerged through laboratory manipulation of a related SARS-CoV-like coronavirus. As noted above, the RBD of SARS-CoV-2 is optimized for binding to human ACE2 with an efficient solution different from those previously predicted. Furthermore, if genetic manipulation had been performed, one of the several reverse-genetic systems available for betacoronaviruses would probably have been used19. However, the genetic data irrefutably show that SARS-CoV-2 is not derived from any previously used virus backbone."
I hope your right. I should have stated a virus manipulated by man. I guess time will tell.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Problem again is that those red and green lines in the chart are projections at this point. We don't know that either one is accurate. It's a gamble that honestly may or may not have made much of a difference. I hope it has, because the price paid is the highest we have ever seen. Honestly right now I couldn't tell the millions of jobless their sacrifice wasn't in vain.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hope your right. I should have stated a virus manipulated by man. I guess time will tell.
Manipulated can mean different things. Many labs in the world including in US and in China "manipulate" the virus by growing it in tissue culture, in the lab. Chinese have been known to be incredibly sloppy (this should be handled only in BL2/BL3 labs, there is plenty of evidence they don;t always give a $hit), moreover the Chinese scientists have already published, or attempted to publish, a slough of complete garbage research including extremely misleading claims of the covid virus evolution into L and S forms, whatever, it was trash and almost immediately recognized as such by anyone who looked at their sequence data.

However, this should not be misconstrued for deliberate/nefarious use of genetic recombination techniques to change the tropism or virulence, there is no evidence of that whatsoever. Unless they invented completely new chemistry (they did not) any deliberate manipulation of the viral genetic material would be exceedingly easy to spot, would no doubt had already been revealed.

There is no doubt the research data coming out of the Chinese labs presents a biased, overinterpreted, perhaps even distorted/fabricated picture, but there is also no doubt much of the record will eventually be corrected through studies of SARS-CoV-2 elsewhere.

Yes, the distortion and delay probably come at the cost of human health/lives.

--

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What's up muddafukas

IMG-20200415-WA0016.jpg

@haknslash brother man, we dance and sing because otherwise we would cry and yell.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Problem again is that those red and green lines in the chart are projections at this point. We don't know that either one is accurate. It's a gamble that honestly may or may not have made much of a difference. I hope it has, because the price paid is the highest we have ever seen. Honestly right now I couldn't tell the millions of jobless their sacrifice wasn't in vain.
The British were toying with this idea, too. So far it has not been a success, in fact they seem to have reversed the course.
The Swedes will soon find out, however it is almost comical trying to compare their population numbers and demographics with ours, not to mention their health care model could not be more different than the US.

--

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The British were toying with this idea, too. So far it has not been a success, in fact they seem to have reversed the course.
The Swedes will soon find out, however it is almost comical trying to compare their population numbers and demographics with ours, not to mention their health care model could not be more different than the US.

--
I hadn't heard the UK was considering changing any policy, but I'll honestly admit I spend a LOT less time looking internationally lately. Seems there is very little correlation between what works in different regions, and certainly no hard numbers that appear reliable. I have heard Sweden was taking a different approach than Finland and Norway, the only comparison that can be made for sure is that Sweden (I believe) is quite a bit larger in population that its neighbors. All I can do is take in as much data as I can and draw my own conclusions, I hope and believe most here in this forum are doing so. Common sense not being very common anymore can be a driving factor through all this...

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Manipulated can mean different things. Many labs in the world including in US and in China "manipulate" the virus by growing it in tissue culture, in the lab. Chinese have been known to be incredibly sloppy (this should be handled only in BL2/BL3 labs, there is plenty of evidence they don;t always give a $hit), moreover the Chinese scientists have already published, or attempted to publish, a slough of complete garbage research including extremely misleading claims of the covid virus evolution into L and S forms, whatever, it was trash and almost immediately recognized as such by anyone who looked at their sequence data.

However, this should not be misconstrued for deliberate/nefarious use of genetic recombination techniques to change the tropism or virulence, there is no evidence of that whatsoever. Unless they invented completely new chemistry (they did not) any deliberate manipulation of the viral genetic material would be exceedingly easy to spot, would no doubt had already been revealed.

There is no doubt the research data coming out of the Chinese labs presents a biased, overinterpreted, perhaps even distorted/fabricated picture, but there is also no doubt much of the record will eventually be corrected through studies of SARS-CoV-2 elsewhere.

Yes, the distortion and delay probably come at the cost of human health/lives.

--
You guys know way more than me on this. Just find it strange that the lady trying to make a virus pass from animals to humans was working in the lab outside of the market place where they said it started. But who knows what is actually true.

Status
Not open for further replies.