• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our youth is our future. Many a high school or college senior has had their right of passage stolen by this pandemic. The dinner conversation at my table this evening turned to those seniors that have impressed us and has motivated me to write letters to them amd their parents. One quite and very intelligent young leader and one boisterous intelligent young get it done type have impressed me over the last few years. They both have very bright futures and have been accepted to the same D1 school. They obviously don’t need a letter from me. Affirmation in these uncertain times may mean more than I know. I am going to write a letter to both them and their parents. The fact these kids two years ahead of my own have impressed me enough to come up in dinner conversation after over a month of isolation says something. The fact these two stood out from all those that I know after volunteering many hours and attending many events at the school says something. That something is what I want to relay to them and affirm their path through their manner and work ethic in these uncertain times.

I encourage everyone wether seen as a leader/mentor or not to consider sending a note to those young folks who have left an impression on you. Imagine being in that transitional age and wondering what the heck is the future going to be like right now. Imagine wondering is anything I have done or will do going to make a difference. These young folks are our future and living through a very trying time. We need for them not to lose hope but rather be the hope of our future.

Considering taking some of your time to encourage the leaders and doers of the future.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Topic change....I'm struggling with the lack of recoveries... Most last around 2 weeks sick, which should mean we have several more having recuperated, just based on time since onset. How come this is not reflecting as less active cases. Very few cases should be older than 3 weeks. What gives?
This document is from a low quality source (The Sun) but it does a good job of conveying the progression as documented in medical journals.

I believe that the FDA standard for recovered is two weeks without symptoms. My state of Arkansas uses a much lower threshold.

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 1.19.49 PM.png

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, With that (Along my same thoughts) How come cases are going up if we had a relatively constant average of new cases over the last 22 days.

Those Entering the "Sick room" should match more or less those exiting the room at this point. The quantity of those in the room should be stable now.What am I missing?

From United States Coronavirus: 1,004,645 Cases and 56,495 Deaths - Worldometer
CropperCapture[37].png

Thanks again!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So, With that (Along my same thoughts) How come cases are going up if we had a relatively constant average of new cases over the last 22 days.

Those Entering the "Sick room" should match more or less those exiting the room at this point. The quantity of those in the room should be stable now.What am I missing?

From United States Coronavirus: 1,004,645 Cases and 56,495 Deaths - Worldometer
View attachment 117152

Thanks again!
My guess....lots of patient records with no outcome documented. Deaths always get documented, but the positive test result with the person who goes home....probably never will. Which is why you can't look at the closed cases chart because it doesnt have enough "true" closed cases reflected in it.

1588021885054.png

We clearly aren't seeing a 29% CFR (case fatality rate)....just incomplete data.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Also consider the increase in testing. Here in IL, we went from 1,500 tests/day to over 16,000 tests/day in the past few weeks. I’d suspect most states are seeing the same increase in testing.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
evms.edu/covidcare
This has some great info on the treatment right from the medical school.
Click download the latest you can either get the 11 page version for critical care or just a summary.779EDC72-FD46-4F67-B698-104A7E404075.jpeg

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"...hailed by Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, as “highly significant.” "
“This will be the standard of care,” Fauci predicted, adding, “The FDA, literally as we speak, is working with Gilead to figure out mechanisms to make this easily available to those who need it.”
“It is the first truly high-powered randomized placebo-controlled trial,” Fauci said.
“The data shows that remdesivir has a clear cut significant positive effect in diminishing the time to recover. This is really quite important,” Fauci told reporters at the White House, likening it to a moment in 1986 “when we were struggling for drugs for HIV and we had nothing.”

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Looks like some doctors are making very interesting headway with this virus.

If I’m not mistaken this is a similar tactic with other viral diseases? For some reason it seems like immunosuppressants are used for those?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For some reason it seems like immunosuppressants are used for those?
One of the key contributors to acute respiratory distress syndrome is an overstimulation of the immune system. I won't get into the details, but there's a tipping point involved where your immune cells essentially lose the ability to target the infection and begin 'overcrowding' and impairing normal cellular functions and even outright damage to healthy cells. Modulating the immune system to prevent getting to that inflection point is a useful strategy.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is an interesting study which just came out 3 days ago - not subjected to peer review as of yet. It suggests the initial under reporting of cases has skewed the numbers. The study estimates that there were 8.7 million coronavirus infections in the U.S. between March 8 and March 28. And as of April 17, 10% of Americans have been infected — which is roughly 33 million Americans which is a helluvalot more than reported. I have drawn my own unscientific conclusions.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
More info on remdesivir. Not a cure but potentially reducing the length of illness and saving lives. Similar to tamiflu reducing the length of flu if taken early. But nothing like amoxicillin killing strep in 24 hours.

The biggest challenge to treatment with remdesivir is likely to be getting test results back quickly enough to begin the drug early.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I haven’t posted to this thread in weeks, it got and I helped make it political. Regardless of the politics involved , this recently hit home hard. My Wife’s cousin in IL just passed away as a result of contracting the Corona Virus. She was 36 years old, a mother of three and a Registered Nurse. She was admitted to the hospital she worked at on Friday (two days ago) she died this morning. We just got the news. Thankfully she didn’t die alone but only because her coworkers were there to comfort her. She last spoke to her family by face time before they intubated (put her on a ventilator). For those that don’t think staying at home, social distancing, testing, etc. is important, I know of three kids and a widower who would strongly disagree, politics and/or the economy are the last things on their minds.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences. Did she have appropriate PPE? A friend of mine who works in my same hospital also has the virus. This sucks

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I haven’t posted to this thread in weeks, it got and I helped make it political. Regardless of the politics involved , this recently hit home hard. My Wife’s cousin in IL just passed away as a result of contracting the Corona Virus. She was 36 years old, a mother of three and a Registered Nurse. She was admitted to the hospital she worked at on Friday (two days ago) she died this morning. We just got the news. Thankfully she didn’t die alone but only because her coworkers were there to comfort her. She last spoke to her family by face time before they intubated (put her on a ventilator). For those that don’t think staying at home, social distancing, testing, etc. is important, I know of three kids and a widower who would strongly disagree, politics and/or the economy are the last things on their minds.
Do you know of any underlying condition? Scary as my wife and I are 36/37 with 3 kids.
Very sorry for all the losses!
We pray for the world's health multiple times a day!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ronnie, so sorry for your loss. This virus is terrible. Especially for medical workers.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
An update to my last post on the subject, I got some of the details wrong but the result is the same. This article puts a face to the name. She was just like many of my family and friends, a nurse by choice, training and experience. Thinking about how we as a society could have done more to protect her and other health care professionals BUT DIDN’T sickens me. By analogy we sent our first responders to the front line with rocks instead of guns, and in some cases we are still doing so. Sorry not trying to make this political.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom