• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is the worst thread ever on this forum! I’m not criticizing anyone for being on it I was on it for 60 pages or so but I have been off it for a bit and it’s much more enjoyable.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So here's something the wife and I got into a debate about last night while eating dinner. We both bought some masks from Walmart. The are the usual disposible masks with white on one side and blue on the other. While out and about, I have seen numerous people wearing these same masks, some have the blue out, some have the white out. When you get these they are flat and there is no label that says this side out, or this side in.

I've heard everything from blue side out, to pleats down, to the strings should be on the inside. Here is a picture of both masks. As you can see both are sitting on the table blue side up, but notice the strings are glued differently. And the pleats down doesn't make sense to me, cause you can just flip the mask 180 degrees.

Based on social media, I'm pretty sure blue should be out. The reason I think this is important is these masks are designed to work one way. They are meant to keep a Dr. or nurses exhale from contaminating a sterile environment. So if you have the public walking around with some having blue side out and others having white side out, you can see where I am going with this.61508566949__0A13AAB3-C66C-4038-840D-24D2A371A8F9.jpeg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So here's something the wife and I got into a debate about last night while eating dinner. We both bought some masks from Walmart. The are the usual disposible masks with white on one side and blue on the other. While out and about, I have seen numerous people wearing these same masks, some have the blue out, some have the white out. When you get these they are flat and there is no label that says this side out, or this side in.

I've heard everything from blue side out, to pleats down, to the strings should be on the inside. Here is a picture of both masks. As you can see both are sitting on the table blue side up, but notice the strings are glued differently. And the pleats down doesn't make sense to me, cause you can just flip the mask 180 degrees.

Based on social media, I'm pretty sure blue should be out. The reason I think this is important is these masks are designed to work one way. They are meant to keep a Dr. or nurses exhale from contaminating a sterile environment. So if you have the public walking around with some having blue side out and others having white side out, you can see where I am going with this.View attachment 124344
Don't think it makes a darn bit of difference which side is in/out. The mask is simply to stop large saliva particles leaving your mouth/nose and landing on someone/thing. It will do that no matter which way you wear it. There should be a wire in part of it to bend over your nose....which should help some.

Last edited:

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Its blue side out. However in the case where it’s in public and there are many that 1/2 arse wear it, ( not covering nose or wrapped around one’s neck) I suppose I wouldn't be cross should I see you in public white side out.

Attachments

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'll be honest. I am not 100% sure if there is a scientific reason for it, but we always use blue out.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
it has to do with the direction of air flow.
Don't think it makes a darn bit of difference which side is in/out. The mark is simply to stop large saliva particles leaving your mouth/nose and landing on someone/thing. It will do that no matter which way you wear it. There should be a wire in part of it to bend over your nose....which should help some.
Yeah I think it may be unnoticeable with breathing effort if it’s white side out. It resembles the heating and air filters in the furnace. They are designed with a specific direction of air flow, but I always forget which way to place them and I never noticed a difference in function.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
it has to do with the direction of air flow.

Yeah I think it may be unnoticeable with breathing effort if it’s white side out. It resembles the heating and air filters in the furnace. They are designed with a specific direction of air flow, but I always forget which way to place them and I never noticed a difference in function.
Yeah....I think furnace air filters have larger holes then smaller holes, then smaller etc. to ensure they reduce the flow as little as possible. These cheap masks....I'm guessing not so much! :cool: From my perspective they do two things: 1)stop projectile spittle, and 2) stop/remind people to stop touching their mouths/noses. I think it would be WAY helpful if all the stores had touch free hand sanitizer dispensers at every entrance and throughout the store.... the same way hospital rooms do. We aren't doing anything to control the touch transmission....this would help.

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Based on social media, I'm pretty sure blue should be out. The reason I think this is important is these masks are designed to work one way. They are meant to keep a Dr. or nurses exhale from contaminating a sterile environment. So if you have the public walking around with some having blue side out and others having white side out, you can see where I am going with this.View attachment 124344
the colors aren't important. it's wire around your nose with folds facing outward and down. you bend the wire around your nose to fit, then grab the bottom and pull it down over your chin. i only know this because my wife is a nurse who thought it hilarious to ridicule me for asking the same question you did. all of the women i live with are like this.

here in dallas, any store or restaurant i've been to lately has someone at the door with spray hand sanitizer and masks for people who don't bring them. if you refuse either you don't enter.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Blue side out, with the wire across your nose is the appropriate way to wear it, but it is not a one way mask. The colored side is generally hydrophobic, while the white side will absorb some of the moisture you breathe out and make it more comfortable to wear. If you wear it backwards it'll be slightly less comfortable over a long duration, but will still keep your spittle to yourself.

The only 'one way' masks are the N95s with the valves, which really shouldn't be worn for the purpose of community infection control.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I read the blue side filters more than the white. The blue should be on the contamination side. If you're afraid of contaminate you're breathing in than blue goes out. If you're sick than blue goes in (white side out).

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have been seeing a lot of out of state plates lately...We have been doing it right since early March.

20200706_075607.jpg

20200706_083535.jpg

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That's great! Hopefully they/you keep doing it right. Florida, on the other hand, keeps breaking it own new cases in a single day. Over 11,000 last reported in one day. Previous record was 9,000 then 10,000. People just don't get it... :banghead: :oops::eek::mad::(

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's great! Hopefully they/you keep doing it right. Florida, on the other hand, keeps breaking it own new cases in a single day. Over 11,000 last reported in one day. Previous record was 9,000 then 10,000. People just don't get it... :banghead: :oops::eek::mad::(
I'm coming to visit in a week! Get a handle on it before I arrive please! LOL

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I'm coming to visit in a week! Get a handle on it before I arrive please! LOL
I'll do my best but people don't seem to listen very well. Very stubborn.

You staying with your brother? Let us know, maybe we can meet at your brother's restaurant. Stay safe...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'll do my best but people don't seem to listen very well. Very stubborn.

You staying with your brother? Let us know, maybe we can meet at your brother's restaurant. Stay safe...
Yup....will be in Tampa!

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Went to supermarket yesterday. I felt between me and the employees we were the only ones wearing a mask with very few exceptions, ( mabey 2 other shoppers). Disturbingly, As this second wave increases I see more non compliance.

Rockfords Fosgate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have not read all 80 pages of this thread so I apologize in advance if this Covid topic has already been addressed.

Masks and social distancing are primarily meant to serve to elongate the curve, thus ensuring our healthcare facilities are not overtaxed. The area under the curve, in the long run, is still comprised of the same quantity, yes?

Is it reasonable to suggest the following?
  1. It's only a matter of time
    1. You will either get the virus or a future (weaker) mutation of it;
    2. OR
    3. you will get the vaccine
  2. The mortality risk to children and young adults is exceedingly small
  3. The mortality risk to those 75+ is high
  4. Type O blood people are less susceptible
  5. Low vitamin d levels are associated with higher Covid death rates

Rockfords Fosgate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Went to supermarket yesterday. I felt between me and the employees we were the only ones wearing a mask with very few exceptions, ( mabey 2 other shoppers). Disturbingly, As this second wave increases I see more non compliance.
No doubt. I am starting to think there is a 1:1 inverse correlation between mask compliance and heat/humidity levels.:eek:

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
To be honest I would agree with @Rockfords Fosgate on that point. In a way, rising cases are inevitable. There is no way to reopen a society and expect 0 growth in transmission. As a nation we cannot afford to remain closed indefinitely, and this virus isn’t something that will “go away”. I still look at the data with a skeptical eye, as you look globally the data do NOT add up, and this is a problem. Anyone looking at the numbers and agreeing with them is going to tell me that the US is uniquely susceptible to a virus? Not bloody likely, so then there is some other cause to us having over 33% of global cases and deaths? India has over a billion people and had similar lockdown measures to most US states, and began reopening mid May over 6 weeks ago. India has some of the highest population density in its low income urban areas, but only has 25% as many cases as the US? This does not jive, and hasn’t since we started seeing the US numbers skyrocket past the rest of the world. Math does not lie...

Status
Not open for further replies.