• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Decided to purchase a lightly used boat

WaTeRMaNiaC407

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I have had a 2022 Yamaha 212 on order since March. I initially wanted a 2021 212 but as we all know, there were none available.

I just came across a used 2021 212XD for $67500. It has under 40 hours on it. I am going to pick it up at the end of the month. (It is out of state.) As long as it is in as good a shape as it is being represented, that will be my new boat. I am saving a ton of money on dealer fees by going used. Thanks to member
Joshua Miller for responding to my post about dealer fees and really making me think about going used.

The boat comes with a mooring cover and has had the break in service done. I am beyond excited to be able to get back into boating after not having anything all summer.

I have reviewed the general checklists on here when buying boats and they have a ton of great information. If anyone has any specific tips on the 212XD or anything that I should specifically look for when I go to pick it up., I look forward to hearing them.

Congratulations! Check out the new/used boat checklist in the FAQ for when you pick her up.

And of course....post photos!!!

New member here and 1st post. I am trying to decide if I should risk waiting for the 2022 Yamaha 252sd to come in before boating season in northern MI starts (I put a refundable deposit down on in September), or drive 10 hours (1-way) to buy a used 2021 with 44 hours on it with a mooring cover. I Would save about $10k (mostly in fees), but would have to start making payments on the loan now, instead of maybe March, April, or May. Was in salt water, so I am a little hesitant, and the wife is more comfortable buying new from the dealer and the perceived reassurance that brings. I am checking on the transferability of the warranty, and if I can purchase an extended warranty on a used boat.

There is also a new 2022 about an hour away for about $3,000 more than the quote I got from my dealer.

Sold my 2019 pontoon for more than I paid for it, and I am afraid of being without a boat in the summer.

So, the decision is to wait for my boat to come in (with no payments until it arrives, but risk not having a boat come Spring), drive 10 hours and save more than $10k on a slightly used 2021, or pay $3k more for a new boat now.

Any input would be appreciated.

Pete B. On the forum we are good at spending other peoples money..........and our own as well ?

That being said last December, Tuesday after Christmas, I pulled the trigger on the boat I could have now. For me the thought of not having it now and going without all was worth any penalty.
Coming off an older boat a new boat was the only option for me. The kids are getting older and time with them is short. It was worth even penny to not miss out on boating. We had our best boating year ever!

For me it would be easy. New boat now! One other benefit of new for us was lower interest rate.

Again this was what we did and what worked for us. I hope it helps. Your priorities will ultimately help guide you.

I'd say drive 10 hours to save $10000. 44 hours is basically a new boat. And saltwater isn't a big deal as long as they did what they were supposed to do. The warranty transfers, just check it out real good.

New member here and 1st post. I am trying to decide if I should risk waiting for the 2022 Yamaha 252sd to come in before boating season in northern MI starts (I put a refundable deposit down on in September), or drive 10 hours (1-way) to buy a used 2021 with 44 hours on it with a mooring cover. I Would save about $10k (mostly in fees), but would have to start making payments on the loan now, instead of maybe March, April, or May. Was in salt water, so I am a little hesitant, and the wife is more comfortable buying new from the dealer and the perceived reassurance that brings. I am checking on the transferability of the warranty, and if I can purchase an extended warranty on a used boat.

There is also a new 2022 about an hour away for about $3,000 more than the quote I got from my dealer.

Sold my 2019 pontoon for more than I paid for it, and I am afraid of being without a boat in the summer.

So, the decision is to wait for my boat to come in (with no payments until it arrives, but risk not having a boat come Spring), drive 10 hours and save more than $10k on a slightly used 2021, or pay $3k more for a new boat now.

Any input would be appreciated.

Talking about the boat that has salt water use, not an issue really as long as the boat was not left in the salt water for the season. Have the seller send you some pics of the anodes mounted on the pumps, their condition will give you some idea on how much “time” it spent n salt water, you will also be able to see the condition of the pumps and their anti corrosion coating. Also, does the seller mention in the add or otherwise that it was flushed after each use? A savings of $10K is significant, and would way more than cover the cost of the YES warranty. I’d have no problem driving 10 hours to buy a boat, I drove 9 hours to buy my boat new. I’m pretty sure the standard warranty will transfer to you, as such as long as you purchase the YES warranty before the oem one expires you should be good. Having said that, your wife has a good point, I’d be reticent to buy a used boat myself. It’s probably in the new / used boat check list..but I’d have the dealer run an ECU check on the engines to see if there are any over heat alarms or any other alarms in the ECU history. Also, if this boat had any warranty issues it will be in the Yamaha data base. The good thing is that by and large Yamaha boats have a very good reliability record, yes there we’re some quality control issues for some of the boats made in 2021.

The available new boat for $3K more than your quote, that’s a bird in the hand vs. two in the bush scenario. If you can absorb the extra cost without too much pain and the boat is exactly what you want, then go buy it and get ready for the upcoming season…again use the checklist. Will that dealer thrown in some goodies to go with the boat? Myself, if I’m going to spend that kind of bread I want new, I get to break it in, do the maintenance etc….

The boat you have the down on… is there any commitment from the dealer as far as time goes? Will you get the colors you want? Any other items that will get thrown in-life jackets, fenders, anchor etc…. Is this dealer local to you or is it a hour away like the other new boat? I don’t agree with this but it is the way it is, there has been reports of people who buy boats from a particular dealer getting better treatment for service / warranty issues than someone who bought a bout at a far away dealer and are bringing their boat to the local dealer. (Also, what kind of reputation does your local dealer have, or the dealer that has the available new boat for $3K more?). This would be less of a concern for me as I’d want to have that ride ready for the season.

Hope some of that helps!

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies, comments, and advice. Seattle_Phaeton made an excellent point when he advised me to go with the priority, which is to get a boat! I will most likely sell the boat before the loan is paid-off, and paying a few thousand more on a $100,000 purchase is not a concern when I know I will have a new boat (and all that comes with that) for the summer. And, since the dealer where the boat is used (Traverse City, MI) has nothing until 2023, I will be using the dealers close to home (Ann Arbor, MI). So it doesn't matter which one I use, as the boat won't be serviced where I buy it.

So, we will pursue the new boat that is in-stock an hour away and pay a few more bucks to get it new. I will share pictures when I can. Thanks again for the help.

Back