• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do I Need To Charge My Batteries On My Yamaha 222S

mmcneese01

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Hello owning a Yamaha boat is really new to me. We’ve had many boats but they’ve all been outboard, we absolutely love boat so far. Should I or should I not charge my boat in between uses to the lake? We have gone out four times this season and the engines have turned over no issues. I appreacite any unsought to this.
Thank you
Michael

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mmcneese01

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Hey Julian, really helpful! Thank you for your quick response and for the table for 12v state of charge! Have a great rest of your Sunday.
- Michael

Gap22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had mine for 2.5 years and have never charged my battery in between uses. Always turn it off after a day on the lake. I use bose portable for sound, so it doesn't drain my battery. Most of the time, there's too many people blasting their music around us to even make it worthwhile to turn ours on anyway. I've never had a problem, but I have jumped others off with my Microstart a few times.

TommyMcK

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Agree with the above that you don't need to charge between outings relative to the start battery. If you spend any appreciable time playing music off of the house battery while the engine is off, you will most definitely need to charge the battery when you get back unless it takes you hours of engine run time to get back. A 30 minute ride from the sand bar to the dock isn't enough to do it. I use a separate blue tooth speaker to play music when I'm anchored with the engine off so that I don't have to hassle with it, but I get that some folks like to crank the tunes using the boat audio while at the sandbar.

Regarding Julian's table, that's definitely correct for a 12V battery so long as the battery isn't under ANY load. You won't show those voltages on your Connext though since you'll be running the Connext at a minimum. Depending on the boat, and if you have the blower on and a bunch of other variables, a fully charged battery can easily show in the 11's on the display, so don't be worried if you are showing less than what is in the table. If you really want to check it against that table, use a volt meter directly on the battery terminals with the main breakers off.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wet slip my boat between June and October and never charge the batteries. But I always turn the battery switches off when not using the boat.

Batteries are still original and work fine but since they're in the 8th season, I'm thinking I'll change them pretty soon.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Install a on board battery charger like a NOCO 2x10 NOCO - 2-Bank 20A On-Board Battery Charger - GENPRO10X2 or a Minnkota PC MK220 https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/battery-chargers/on-board-precision-chargers?v=102056
and plug it in when you get back from the lake and leave it plugged in until you head out again.

Installing one of these makes plugging in the chargers very easy when you get home, they come in different lengths.

The charging systems on our boats are small, 14 amps per engine, and lead acid batteries need a long absorption cycle usually 6-8 hrs to charge properly so that they have their best performance and have the longest life.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I wet slip my boat between June and October and never charge the batteries. But I always turn the battery switches off when not using the boat.

Batteries are still original and work fine but since they're in the 8th season, I'm thinking I'll change them pretty soon.
Glad to see you’ve had such a long service life with your batteries, I’d definitely replace with the same batteries!

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Another thing to remember is if your lead acid batteries are below 50% charge state then your battery is being damaged at that voltage.

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding Julian's table, that's definitely correct for a 12V battery so long as the battery isn't under ANY load. You won't show those voltages on your Connext though since you'll be running the Connext at a minimum. Depending on the boat, and if you have the blower on and a bunch of other variables, a fully charged battery can easily show in the 11's on the display, so don't be worried if you are showing less than what is in the table. If you really want to check it against that table, use a volt meter directly on the battery terminals with the main breakers off.
Thanks for making this point. Ours usually reads 11.7 or so when parked and listening to music. (We generally aren’t cranking tunes.) is there a number at which I should be worried that the battery is getting low?

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for making this point. Ours usually reads 11.7 or so when parked and listening to music. (We generally aren’t cranking tunes.) is there a number at which I should be worried that the battery is getting low?
Below 12v (with a multimeter, no running loads) would be considered 'low'.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

TommyMcK

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
A few points..... (and some just in my opinion)

1. Most folks aren't going to run around with a voltmeter checking their battery. The general rule of thumb is that if you operate off of the house battery for any extended length of time (half-hour or more) and you don't have a long (hours) run back home, put the system on a charger when you get back. @FSH 210 Sport is right that the optimal charging system is a dual-bank, but that requires re-configuring the DVSR and in practice, I've never had an issue with just hooking up a charger directly (it doesn't matter which one since the DVSR connects the two when it detects the charging source).

2. Based just on my observations (on 222XD and 255XD...so I can't say how universal it is across all models), the batteries are fully charged when the Connext indicates a voltage of 14.2 volts while the engine is running. Typically, it starts out reading anywhere from high 10s to low 12s depending on state of charge and how much draw there is prior to engine start. Then at startup, it fairly quickly (over the course of a few minutes) goes up to around 14.2 if the batteries were already fully charged. If their charge is lower (and it's usually the house battery that's lower), it'll take longer to run through the 13s off of engine charging.

3. A jump pack never hurts in an emergency @kgower but having a run-down house battery doesn't impact the start battery. The jump pack is only useful if both batteries are drained to the point that you can't start even with the DVSR configured to hook the batteries in parallel. And that brings up another point that may be obvious to some, but maybe not others. If you are going to run off of the house battery, make sure that you don't have the DVSR set to hook the batteries in parallel.

mmcneese01

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Agree with the above that you don't need to charge between outings relative to the start battery. If you spend any appreciable time playing music off of the house battery while the engine is off, you will most definitely need to charge the battery when you get back unless it takes you hours of engine run time to get back. A 30 minute ride from the sand bar to the dock isn't enough to do it. I use a separate blue tooth speaker to play music when I'm anchored with the engine off so that I don't have to hassle with it, but I get that some folks like to crank the tunes using the boat audio while at the sandbar.

mmcneese01

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Hey Tommy, thank you so much for the information. This is absolutely helpful!
Michael

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Glad to see you’ve had such a long service life with your batteries, I’d definitely replace with the same batteries!
lol, thx. I really can't explain why they've lasted so long. Start battery is an Interstate and house is some deep cycle brand I've never heard of. I do leave them on a ProMariner dual bank charger when it's not in the water but still...

And I do keep a booster in the boat just in case!