• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Do you have a plastic scupper valve,or have you done the replacement?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not a call to arms or anything, but I'm looking for opinions and to possibly warn someone.

So here's the hose that connects from the deck drain to your scupper - mine is being replaced, full of mold and mildew, and had a dead mouse in it for some reason ?

IMG_20210501_180422208_HDR.jpg

I figured I would check it out online to see if there were any specs that might lead me to buying an exact replacement, or if I could get some clear braided hose to save a few bucks, and give me a "sight glass" for future inspection, since there's no pressure on the discharge, and any hose should be sufficient.

This is from MPI's site:

Screenshot_20210501-180502~2.png

I know it's on the scupper, and there's the flap in the fitting, but would you guys consider the scupper a thru-hull fitting? I would, simply because that flap isn't a check valve, there's a slight gap due to the way it works, and water can/does seek a level when the boat is at rest and a bit of water will go past the lax flap to the waterline within the hose.

I believe this hose is overkill due to the weight and thickness for this application, but did Yamaha spec these hoses to be TOO robust, and it's causing premature failures because it's too much for the application?

I'm pretty confident now, that my clear braided hose will be perfectly acceptable for the job it's going to be used for.

Might anyone swapping out their broken scupper also be better served to change the drain hose while they're at it, or perhaps brand new owners could get more use before the OEM plastic scupper fails by swapping out the hose?

Mine will be changed, so this really is more for anyone else without a dead mouse in their hose, and something I'm interested in seeing more opinions on than just mine.

When I bought my SS scupper it said right on the packaging “not for use below waterline” but it’s the same one everyone recommends here so I think that hose would be ok to use. I like the idea of a clear vinyl hose for the scupper drain. The smoothness of it would stop debris from getting hung up & you would be able to inspect for blockage easier.

Thats a great idea when I change out my scupper...hate the white hose and its in the way..maybe a little rerouting with the new install.

Just replaced my plastic one.

When I bought my SS scupper it said right on the packaging “not for use below waterline” but it’s the same one everyone recommends here so I think that hose would be ok to use. I like the idea of a clear vinyl hose for the scupper drain. The smoothness of it would stop debris from getting hung up & you would be able to inspect for blockage easier.
Maybe they are concerned about corrosion because their SS is sub-standard? I think they are made in China? Just saying

As far as using this hose on a through hull fitting below the water line....

I agree that the scupper is a through hull fitting that sits at / below the water line. However, the pick up for the live well has the black plastic hose from the hull mounted valve in the bottom of the boat. I also think the dead mouse hose has the ability to make some sharp bends without kinking.

The white hose seems pretty robust, not as much as the black hose found on the live well input or the bilge discharge line. It is also pretty smooth on the inside. I had my deck drain apart yesterday as the L drain was leaking a little when I would wash down the deck.

That white hose is also used on the live well drain and over flow lines.

IMO, the white corrugated hose is the better solution. Clear corrugated would be best, giving you visibility, and vibration tolerance. The clear tubing with braided nylon strapping is often MUCH more rigid than the corrugated piece you're replacing.

In general the flexibility of corrugated hose is superior to straight hose in a high vibration environment. The corrugations do two things; They reduce the force imparted to the fittings on each end, and they allow lower amounts of deformation on the outer fibers in localized bending conditions. This is a VERY generalized set of theories, and individual mileage may vary depending on a whole myriad of factors from wall thickness, temperature, material, length of run, bend radius near connection, and many more.

Source: I design and spec fittings like these for vibratory industrial equipment: Metal Bellows Expansion Joints - Custom Made by FlexCom I've spent more time than I care to admit digging into the effects on both the bellows and the attached equipment.

With all that said. Just because the corrugated might be the ideal solution, doesn't mean the clear vinyl won't work. Just not "as ideal" as the other. For me, I inspect the scupper drain any time I have my hand in the rear hatch area for something else. Maybe 2-3 times a year I give it a good "shake" and feel for strength in the joint. So far I haven't noticed any degradation in 4 seasons. regular inspection is the best defense, and combined with the clear line to check for blockage easily, it may very well be the right move for some folks.

Last edited:
IMO, the white corrugated hose is the better solution. Clear corrugated would be best, giving you visibility, and vibration tolerance. The clear tubing with braided nylon strapping is often MUCH more rigid than the corrugated piece you're replacing.

In general the flexibility of corrugated hose is superior to straight hose in a high vibration environment. The corrugations do two things; They reduce the force imparted to the fittings on each end, and they allow lower amounts of deformation on the outer fibers in localized bending conditions. This is a VERY generalized set of theories, and individual mileage may vary depending on a whole myriad of factors from wall thickness, temperature, material, length of run, bend radius near connection, and many more.

Source: I design and spec fittings like these for vibratory industrial equipment: Metal Bellows Expansion Joints - Custom Made by FlexCom I've spent more time than I care to admit digging into the effects on both the bellows and the attached equipment than I care to admit.

With all that said. Just because the corrugated might be the ideal solution, doesn't mean the clear vinyl won't work. Just not "as ideal" as the other. For me, I inspect the scupper drain any time I have my hand in the rear hatch area for something else. Maybe 2-3 times a year I give it a good "shake" and feel for strength in the joint. So far I haven't noticed any degradation in 4 seasons. regular inspection is the best defense, and combined with the clear line to check for blockage easily, it may very well be the right move for some folks.

Spot on! Hadn‘teven thought about vibration and flexing!

Source: I design and spec fittings like these for vibratory industrial equipment: Metal Bellows Expansion Joints - Custom Made by FlexCom I've spent more time than I care to admit digging into the effects on both the bellows and the attached equipment than I care to admit.

@2kwik4u So is there a clear version of the corrugated hose?

@2kwik4u So is there a clear version of the corrugated hose?
I would think it exists somewhere. I have no source, and haven't seen it in the past. the premise would be the "most ideal" I think, but have no idea if it exists.

Doesn't seem like they sell any smaller lengths, mine measures just short of 6'.

I wonder if a swimming pool supply store would sell custom lengths of that stuff.

Using @Julian's linked item, I was able to find this on Amazon. Least expensive that I found the clear braided vinyl hose was $4/ft, so the cost would be identical to this stuff, although I'd have double the amount needed.

Sealproof 1.5" Pool Filter Pump Connection Hose

Has anyone considered using clear reinforced ballast hose? I’m not sure the diameter you need but it’s available up to 1-1/8” @ $2.29/ft. IMO I don’t think you need a super flexible hose as the scupper deck inlet to transom exit is relatively a straight path with no super tight bends. Might work.

I just bought some pool drain hose from home depot to replace mine . Did the same thing on my other boat never had a problem with it

That has the same below water line warning despite being reinforced.

Could the corrugated be bad underwater since they give critters (mussels) more surface to grab on to and clog it up?
Fair. I think that the trend I'm seeing is unless it's a full braid, reinforced hose, it's not appropriate for below-water-line thru-hull fittings.

This one says it's appropriate for scuppers and such: HOSE WATER HEATER HEAVY DUTY 4-PLY (FT OR COIL)

Could the corrugated be bad underwater since they give critters (mussels) more surface to grab on to and clog it up?

Never even considered that! I know these corrugated hoses say they're smooth inside, but it's not smooth smooth, y'know? I remember reading some story on here about someone boating in AZ or NV or CA...one of those out-west places, and trailering, and some water lawman quarantining their boat because of water in the water box, I can't imagine them looking behind the scupper, but if anything ever were to dislodge from the ever-so-slight interior corrugations, that might trigger something, so maybe you're onto something with that.

Back