• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Erie Canalway video - Yamaha sighting...

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Watch the "Get on the Water" video (30 seconds) on the Erie Canalway Heritage Heritage Corridor website via the link below. Four seconds in, you'll get a glimpse of a pretty damn good looking boat, crewed by obvious professionals.

very cool. How far did you go on it?
From our spot on Cross Lake, we've gone west as far as Lyons, south into Cayuga Lake, and east to Onondaga lake. There are a LOT of 10mph and No Wake zones heading east, and they start to pop up the further west we go as well (although some of those sections are full of eagles and heron, so it's not so bad). Getting to Cayuga Lake is a sprint the whole way.

What a great post! Are these day trips or do you and the Missus stay overnight on the boat or at other facilities?

What a great post! Are these day trips or do you and the Missus stay overnight on the boat or at other facilities?
They've all been day trips so far, which is how we got to 950 miles in our first summer with the boat. We are definitely going to do some longer trips west to Buffalo and east/north to Oswego and will look for hotels at or near the marinas. The crew will never overnight on the boat intentionally, and even I'm not willing to risk an uprising by making the suggestion.

The only real downside to these trips (other than the slow zones) is going through the locks. The lock system here is great...short waiting time, quick cycle through and on your way. But they're full of debris. We haven't sucked anything up yet, but it's just a matter of time. My goal in the next few years is to add a trolling motor. It may get some use for fishing, but will mostly get used for passage through the locks and sneaking up on wildlife along the river for better pictures. The boat stays at my dock (on a lift) for the summer, and there's no power nearby. So I'm hoping to keep the batteries charged with solar, just like the battery for my lift.

But they're full of debris. We haven't sucked anything up yet, but it's just a matter of time.

The only time I've ever sucked debris up is when floating, moored at a dock, against the current in the Ohio River. I've locked through in Louisville on the Ohio, and on the Cumberland in Nashville; neither of those was a problem because there's relatively low current and it's not enough to "push" the debris into the pump. I suspect your lock experience will hold due to the low current in the locks.

Also......Seems like an awesome set of experiences with the canal system. I'm jealous.

They've all been day trips so far, which is how we got to 950 miles in our first summer with the boat. We are definitely going to do some longer trips west to Buffalo and east/north to Oswego and will look for hotels at or near the marinas. The crew will never overnight on the boat intentionally, and even I'm not willing to risk an uprising by making the suggestion.

The only real downside to these trips (other than the slow zones) is going through the locks. The lock system here is great...short waiting time, quick cycle through and on your way. But they're full of debris. We haven't sucked anything up yet, but it's just a matter of time. My goal in the next few years is to add a trolling motor. It may get some use for fishing, but will mostly get used for passage through the locks and sneaking up on wildlife along the river for better pictures. The boat stays at my dock (on a lift) for the summer, and there's no power nearby. So I'm hoping to keep the batteries charged with solar, just like the battery for my lift.

I used my trolling motor for just that purpose down at Lake Powell when we went to Rainbow Bridge… there was a lot of debris from the heavy monsoonal rains. I almost made it but went back to mains too quick and sucked up a stick, thought I was going to have to clear it, but a few quick blasts of the throttle and it was out.

Ive stayed the night twice on my boat so far…more this summer, way more I hope. It’s pretty easy really, if the water is too cold to jump in and take a bath I have a solar shower. Meals and coffee are made with a Jet Boil and Peak freeze dried meals-tasty, they don’t require refrigeration and you just roll up the pouch and throw it away. I’ve got a small porta potty for the necessaries. Lightweight clothes get rinsed out after dark and hung up on the helm and are dry in the morning.

I'll need to put this on my to-do list when I return. Thanks for posting it, always looking for places.

Watch the "Get on the Water" video (30 seconds) on the Erie Canalway Heritage Heritage Corridor website via the link below. Four seconds in, you'll get a glimpse of a pretty damn good looking boat, crewed by obvious professionals.

That woman can't be that bright, did you see the guy she's trusting with her life?!? ? ;)

That woman can't be that bright, did you see the guy she's trusting with her life?!? ? ;)
She's actually a real-life rocket scientist. For the video, she let me take the helm for a few seconds, so I could look cool in front of my friends.

The only time I've ever sucked debris up is when floating, moored at a dock, against the current in the Ohio River. I've locked through in Louisville on the Ohio, and on the Cumberland in Nashville; neither of those was a problem because there's relatively low current and it's not enough to "push" the debris into the pump. I suspect your lock experience will hold due to the low current in the locks.

Also......Seems like an awesome set of experiences with the canal system. I'm jealous.
That is a really good point I never considered...the debris is all loose and floating on the surface, and I'm probably moving way too slow to push it under far enough to make it into the pumps. But don't tell my wife, because she's pretty bought into the idea that the trolling motor is a smart addition for lock passage.

You will eventually suck something up… tell your wife to ask me and I’ll verify for you !

Here is another really cool feature, I have a Humminbird Solix and a MinnKota Ulterra Riptide trolling motor with I-Pilot, i can use my Solix to provide navigation to the trolling motor by using a route that either I created with way points or a stored I-Track. Or I can tell the trolling motor to follow either a GPS bearing or a compass bearing. As well, I can use the cruise control function to maintain a specified speed. Oh and Spot Loc, and the troller will hold you within one foot of where you set it.

She's actually a real-life rocket scientist. For the video, she let me take the helm for a few seconds, so I could look cool in front of my friends.

*rocket surgeon

Jeeshcrackers, they even sell a shirt to help you out! I stand by my previous assessment ?

If I were you, there's no way I wouldn't get this and wear it often around her! LMAO

B1EryObaEWS._CLa 2140,2000 81QfSQ3Rj8L.png 0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0_AC_SX679._SX._...jpeg

You will eventually suck something up… tell your wife to ask me and I’ll verify for you !

Here is another really cool feature, I have a Humminbird Solix and a MinnKota Ulterra Riptide trolling motor with I-Pilot, i can use my Solix to provide navigation to the trolling motor by using a route that either I created with way points or a stored I-Track. Or I can tell the trolling motor to follow either a GPS bearing or a compass bearing. As well, I can use the cruise control function to maintain a specified speed. Oh and Spot Loc, and the troller will hold you within one foot of where you set it.
Trust me, I think I've read every word that you, @HangOutdoors , and a few others have shared about purchase, installation, and use. Now I just need to stumble across a big pile of extra money. No real rush, and I intend to do it right the first time.

Back