• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HVAC gurus here? (Home warranty anyone?)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So we have been using the same HVAC company for a while and been pretty happy with them. After the last visit we got a recommended maintenance quote to replace contactors and capacitors.

1651241979423.png

Since this is not a small amount I was curious if this is a reasonable price or not.....

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm no HVAC guy but I understand PM. Are these parts bad or just replacing out of PM? How old is the unit? Have you had issues before? Can you go without for a few days if it goes down?

For me, I usually don't have the HVAC guy over unless I'm having issues or it's been quite a few years since they were there last.

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with ripler. Caps are just a few dollars online from ebay even. You have a disconnect outside by the unit, pull that so you are positive there is no power, remove the cover and contact and cap are located underneath. A few wires going to the cap and it's done and as far as the contacts, I wouldn't replace unless you have problems. The most problem you'll have is bugs and mud daubers getting in and not allowing them to close. Just clean them up good with a small wire brush. I'm all for someone in the trades making a few dollars and pm is critical for things but this is 15 minutes per unit and $10 each in parts.

meaningreen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Prices seem high, get a break down of labor and parts. Contactors and capacitors do have a life span to them, and there are tests that can be done to check status and longevity of them. How old is your HVAC system? Depending on the AMP rating on the contactor it should be less then $60. But as pointed out above if your unit fails how long can you go without? Once summer hits it's a different ball game on repairs, let alone if they have supply of the parts. Not saying do it, but get more info and I think there is room for price drop.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As PM I change the capacitors and contactor every 5 years or so and keep the old as back up. With that the whole set cost me about $125. Accessibility to the items are easy and take me less than an hour to change.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks everyone.....time to visit Youtube and see what videos I can see on how to do this myself! I'm always sweating bullets when it comes to messing with electric stuff like this!

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If a part failing is a concern and long lead times are a concern, buy the capacitor and contactor and have them ready if they fail and change them yourself. You will spend more time getting the cover off than changing a capacitor or contactor.

The part numbers will be on the contactor and the capacitor will have a part number or have the ratings on it. Take a picture of the wiring before you remove them and you won't have an issue. Your boat has more complicated wiring than your AC unit.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone.....time to visit Youtube and see what videos I can see on how to do this myself! I'm always sweating bullets when it comes to messing with electric stuff like this!
This is all plug and play. Take pictures of the orientation and wire routing. Scariest part was the first time discharging the capacitor.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would take a technician less than 1 hr, yes it's high, but they have overhead and everybody in the chain has to make money. With that said, I too did keep spare contactor and capacitors and changed one or the other at least 10 times over the 22 years I had my old units. Guaranteed to fail during a hot Texas summer night. I just got up, pulled the disconnect and changed one or the other in no time and went back to bed. I now have new units and they are under warranty, but need to get some spare parts for it as I don't want to sweat sleeping at night waiting for the repair person. I also kept a spare igniter, and as my two units aged and the control board went out in one, I found a used working one on ebay and bought it for a spare. Sure enough, it went out and it took me about 45 min to replace and back in business.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would take a technician less than 1 hr, yes it's high, but they have overhead and everybody in the chain has to make money. With that said, I too did keep spare contactor and capacitors and changed one or the other at least 10 times over the 22 years I had my old units. Guaranteed to fail during a hot Texas summer night. I just got up, pulled the disconnect and changed one or the other in no time and went back to bed. I now have new units and they are under warranty, but need to get some spare parts for it as I don't want to sweat sleeping at night waiting for the repair person. I also kept a spare igniter, and as my two units aged and the control board went out in one, I found a used working one on ebay and bought it for a spare. Sure enough, it went out and it took me about 45 min to replace and back in business.
Same with the heater igniter. I also keep a back-up igniter, pilot light and thermocouple kit for my water heater. $50 on amazon and worth the piece of mind and no cold shower.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So we have been using the same HVAC company for a while and been pretty happy with them. After the last visit we got a recommended maintenance quote to replace contactors and capacitors.

View attachment 176713

Since this is not a small amount I was curious if this is a reasonable price or not.....
If you have been happy with your hvac contractor, and said contractor has suggested this PM I would let them do it. Part of that bill is testing to make sure all that stuff works properly..

You are paying for the “specialized labor”, the experience of the tech etc… and, if these things break or mess up it will be covered under a warranty. I would also think that this contractor is going to use good parts that will not require the tech to come back out to fix. Just recently had an experience with this, I had bought a well pump pressure switch from Menards a while back, it barely lasted over a year, I think it was $25. This time I went to a pump speciality place and bought a Square D switch, $60 but it is so much better made.

Lastly, having your AC working properly and reliably during the season when you need it is pretty important. The AC company will be swamped if it fails when it is hot.

While I’m sure I could accomplish this type of work myself with my electrical background I would leave it to the professionals to work on.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you have been happy with your hvac contractor, and said contractor has suggested this PM I would let them do it. Part of that bill is testing to make sure all that stuff works properly..

You are paying for the “specialized labor”, the experience of the tech etc… and, if these things break or mess up it will be covered under a warranty. I would also think that this contractor is going to use good parts that will not require the tech to come back out to fix. Just recently had an experience with this, I had bought a well pump pressure switch from Menards a while back, it barely lasted over a year, I think it was $25. This time I went to a pump speciality place and bought a Square D switch, $60 but it is so much better made.

Lastly, having your AC working properly and reliably during the season when you need it is pretty important. The AC company will be swamped if it fails when it is hot.

While I’m sure I could accomplish this type of work myself with my electrical background I would leave it to the professionals to work on.
I am usually perfectly happy with our HVAC company, but it was recently acquired, and this estimate had me scratching my head. I've never replaced a capacitor, but I've had one done in the past and it was less than a 30 min visit. To suggest that they will spend $200 on parts and $650 for 1 hour's labor....sorry, but that isn't kosher. I'd honestly be fine with half that....which is still high, but I'll source quality parts myself and replace them.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I replaced dual run capacitors and start capacitors on both my AC units at my house for roughly $15 a piece. Everyone puts the fear of electrocution in your brain, you just need to discharge power from the capacitors by running a screw driver over the points. Its like changing a garage door spring, everyone says you cant do it, just be cognizant of the danger and you will be fine.

When changing the capacitors, pull one wire off and replace it to the new one, once the wires are all off its like trying to figure out the firing order on a cap and rotor on a car. I always take a photo prior to ensure everything is correct and the fan spins the correct way. An easy way to know if your capacitor is bad, the top will dome like a mushroom, similar to a 9V battery on the bottom. Just make sure you flip the breaker and pull the AC contact by the unit on the wall.

I'm no HVAC guy, but will save money when I know I can do the work myself. The biggest hurdle, finding a place that will sell capacitors to the public, most HVAC supply houses require you to have a HVAC license (for insurance purposes).

This is my $0.02

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Complete BS charges like all have said. Testing a cap and replacing them is a cake walk. Just don't cross the cap terminals with anything metal or you could get capped! Pull the disconnect and go to work safely ...... good luck!

Supplyhouse.com has been my go to lately for all things HVAC and plumbing besides my local supply house.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will add that if you get a replacement cap that is a little different size or shape its no big deal, just be sure to strap it down tight which might require a zip tie or bending and re-screwing the existing metal strap.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am usually perfectly happy with our HVAC company, but it was recently acquired, and this estimate had me scratching my head. I've never replaced a capacitor, but I've had one done in the past and it was less than a 30 min visit. To suggest that they will spend $200 on parts and $650 for 1 hour's labor....sorry, but that isn't kosher. I'd honestly be fine with half that....which is still high, but I'll source quality parts myself and replace them.
Right on…. Just be careful with the capacitors they can give you quite the wake up call, which usually results in a secondary injury from pulling your hand back very quickly!

Perhaps mention to them that you‘d (if you would) be okay for one hours labor for a one hour job?

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. Prices are very high. Buy the parts online and change yourself. (Look on amazon) buy a 2 pole or 3 pole contactor. (Factory ac unit are often single pole) if you get 3 pole only use 2 of them. Leave on blank. Very easy self service call.
Also capacitors use to last 30 years. Sad to say, but today many capacitors only last 5 to 10 years. Many technicians on commission. Use this as an opportunity to sell a new unit amd get a commission. But in reality a $20 part and $200 service call will get the unit running.
Like others have said turn off the power and check what size you have. Then replace the capacitors with the same size. Very easy. Wire for wire and terminal for terminal.
Company's have set prices and many non union techs work off commission amd gouge the customer.
If you call a hvacr service company always ask if the technicians work on commission?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not very knowledgeable on HVAC maintenance but above advice seems generally sound. I would suggest finding a video or two on safe capacitor discharge method(s). You can get one hell of a poke if you don’t know what you are doing (or do and mess up).

Also, I would buy those parts right away. Much of the world’s supply of such items very likely come from China. The tumbling effects from ongoing massive & long-running lockdowns in China - particularly in Shanghai, many of the people are at about six weeks of real, hard lockdown “with Chinese characteristics” - has not been felt in global markets yet. Global parts shortages are going to big and last for quite a while.

Anyway, I suggest getting the parts sooner rather than later. Good luck.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
When I used to rebuild transmissions back in the day, customers would ask why I charged so much, it shouldn’t take that long. I replied, “you’re paying for my experience, product knowledge, training, and the specialty tools I have. Applies to all trades. Best case scenario is to learn to DIY. Google has saved me thousands on working on my house, camper, and boat. Cars I know.