• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I officially hate my Yamaha 275 SD

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Engine overheated and died. This is after having said engine replaced for mystery drive shaft snap and Yamaha leaving me high and dry. Currently in the 2 hour sea town back to marina. Even if it is just some normal problem I hate this thing. Anyone want to buy my cursed boat. The next one will have outboards 🤮

Attachments

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Two engines? Both overheated and died? Could not limp back on one? Just curious.

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Tried but was in a tight area with a lot of boat traffic.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I feel your pain our 255xd is been in the shop 3hrs away from home for 3+ weeks. The power steering took a dump 4hrs into it's life. And with little to no parts to repair.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Tried but was in a tight area with a lot of boat traffic.
I often run on just one engine....in particular to troll for fish burning half the fuel. You can't get on plane, but not sure why you couldn't drive back on on engine....???

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I often run on just one engine....in particular to troll for fish burning half the fuel. You can't get on plane, but not sure why you couldn't drive back on on engine....???
I might be unskilled. I limped home once before the first time the boat died. It wasn’t safe. I live in palm beach area and intercostals are narrow and big center consoles come roaring through. On one engine I didn’t have enough control to stay to the side and also avoid hitting the side. I succeeded last time but only barely. This time has some young kids. So wanted to be safe.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That sucks! Sorry that happened. I hope you can sell it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I might be unskilled. I limped home once before the first time the boat died. It wasn’t safe. I live in palm beach area and intercostals are narrow and big center consoles come roaring through. On one engine I didn’t have enough control to stay to the side and also avoid hitting the side. I succeeded last time but only barely. This time has some young kids. So wanted to be safe.
Put some Cobra fins on her....she'll track much better with the added surface area of two more rudders.

Will be curious to hear why your engine died.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha owes you big on this one. You’ve shelled out a lot of money to have their luxury boat and it is not even three years old yet. Sucks man, sorry to hear this.

AZ_AR195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Not good for sure

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
My mechanic picked it up and seems like it is fine. Bizzare. Anyone does have this experience?

knoxboatin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"died"... what, with an overheat message and saying to shut down one engine? Or it just shut off?

Maybe something blocking either jet pump flow or cooling system water intake that fell away since you got it to the dealer. Our first 3 outings this year were plagued by a dead pair of batteries, an overheat warning (with single-engine limp-back) and then a major cavitation problem that required jet pump disassembly to clear wood chunks. I was beyond frustrated, so I feel ya... The last outing was textbook perfect though, sometimes things conspire against you. Good luck I hope it gets better from here out.

Last edited:

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Got the boat back. Mechanic said these things overheat easily when seaweed gets in pump. He said turn off (including battery). Remove seaweed. Restart. Do several times. Had serviced etc. and he tested it (and replicated the problem in same area of water with same seaweed problem. Does this make sense? Apparently the overheat and limp mode turn off if you reset?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Got the boat back. Mechanic said these things overheat easily when seaweed gets in pump. He said turn off (including battery). Remove seaweed. Restart. Do several times. Had serviced etc. and he tested it (and replicated the problem in same area of water with same seaweed problem. Does this make sense? Apparently the overheat and limp mode turn off if you reset?
Did you not check the pissers when the problem first occurred ? That should be the first thing you check if there is an over heat condition. Then checking the clean out ports for debris.

Did you put it for sale yet? I’m sure you’d be happier with a Grady White, Boston Whaler, Scout etc….

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Very common... and then once you get the error it doesn't go away for a while (usually dozen restarts for me).

First thing I would is heck to see if the intake grate is blocked (I keep some swim googles on board). If I clear that and the impeller for good measure, then I would check the pissers. If all are pissing normal - I would probably ignore the alarm. If you check everything and find nothing - I would think sand is in the cooling pipes and would not run the engines.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very common... and then once you get the error it doesn't go away for a while (usually dozen restarts for me).

First thing I would is heck to see if the intake grate is blocked (I keep some swim googles on board). If I clear that and the impeller for good measure, then I would check the pissers. If all are pissing normal - I would probably ignore the alarm. If you check everything and find nothing - I would think sand is in the cooling pipes and would not run the engines.
The only time my boat has had overheat was ingesting some weeds that looked like a ball of green fishing line. I pulled the cleanout port and it looked like a green afro.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The only time my boat has had overheat was ingesting some weeds that looked like a ball of green fishing line. I pulled the cleanout port and it looked like a green afro.
I had drifted into very shallow water while landing a fish once with the engines running… went to take off and I got an engine alarm / overheat, looked at the pilot circuit outlet no water shut down that engine and got into deeper water, pulled the clean out plug and got the weeds out and took off. Also had a take it to your dealer alarm locked in. Cycled the batteries a few times, no good alarm still locked in. Drove around the lake for a while and was resigned to make the pilgrimage to the nearest dealer… docked the boat then went and got my truck and put the trailer in the water, when I started the boat the alarms were gone been fine every since.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I had drifted into very shallow water while landing a fish once with the engines running… went to take off and I got an engine alarm / overheat, looked at the pilot circuit outlet no water shut down that engine and got into deeper water, pulled the clean out plug and got the weeds out and took off. Also had a take it to your dealer alarm locked in. Cycled the batteries a few times, no good alarm still locked in. Drove around the lake for a while and was resigned to make the pilgrimage to the nearest dealer… docked the boat then went and got my truck and put the trailer in the water, when I started the boat the alarms were gone been fine every since.
I will trigger the alarm a few times a year by flushing and forgetting to turn hose on. It takes forever for the alarm to go away but it does eventually.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
OP.... you're killing me with the snapped shaft / blow engine thread and now this one!

I have been looking for a 275SD and there are none to be had. I just found a dealer in Rochester, NY who had someone back out so I put down a deposit.

I sold my '14 SX192 a couple years ago after we got a motorhome. I wasn't going to get another boat until we sold the motorhome in a couple years but just landed a dock space at the marina in our community down in Southwest Florida after being on the waitlist several months. They told us it would be about a year wait so we thought that would be good timing.

We decided that we wanted the 275SD. I haven't been in one yet but I've had two jets and my SX192 as a great little boat and bullet-proof so I figured the 275SD should be sweet.

You've got me thinking now that I need to purchase the extended warranty. I almost never do but I may be calling the sales rep Monday to get a price after reading your threads!

I hope you just got a bad one or that you are just really unlucky!

In any case, it sounds like this time you didn't blow an engine. After reading some of the posts I will definitely keep in mind shallow water and seaweed. I primarily went with another jet because the Gulf and rive in southwest Florida can get shallow.

Hoping I made the right call with the 275SD!!!