• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My “DUMBASS MOMENT”

Shack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last day to take the boat out for us in MN. We went out cruising around for a couple hours and set anchor for a half hour to enjoy the 77 degree weather. Decided to head out and took off and heard a “clunk”. Wife said “anchor!” I immediately pulled the throttles back and killed the engines. I walked to the back and the anchor decided to get on the boat by itself!! It was sitting on the swim deck. I only had about 20-25’ of line out. The only thing I found was a bent corner of the rub rail in back. I did have a bunch of water come out with the drain plug but I’m assuming that’s from when I slowed down really fast and the water come over the swim deck. Obviously I can’t see where the bunks are but I’m assuming it’s fine under there. I think I really lucked out. Hopefully that scared us enough for that to never happen again!!

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the same thing happen to me. Forgot the anchor was out and started going pulling my kids on the tube. The anchor was skipping across the water next to the tube! Scared the crap out of me. Has never happened again!

Last edited:

Shack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yikes and Thanks! I knew I wasn’t the only one it has happened to.

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lanesboro, Hwy 52 to 61, one of the prettiest drives on a windy, tree covered road in Minnesota on a sunny summer day! A favorite for car and motorcycle clubs. Were you on the Mississippi? Or are there spots on that river/creek that are deep enough for you? I didn’t really understand what happened by your description but glad that you didn’t have any damage.

Shack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s what everyone says about lanesboro and “bluff country”. Lol. We were out on lake zumbro just north of Rochester. I think my rope was short enough where the anchor was right behind the boat and when I came off throttle the surge of water pushed the anchor right on to the swim deck. I couldn’t actually believe it. Ha ha.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Same happened to me without the swim deck part. You’ll only ever do it once!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Last day to take the boat out for us in MN. We went out cruising around for a couple hours and set anchor for a half hour to enjoy the 77 degree weather. Decided to head out and took off and heard a “clunk”. Wife said “anchor!” I immediately pulled the throttles back and killed the engines. I walked to the back and the anchor decided to get on the boat by itself!! It was sitting on the swim deck. I only had about 20-25’ of line out. The only thing I found was a bent corner of the rub rail in back. I did have a bunch of water come out with the drain plug but I’m assuming that’s from when I slowed down really fast and the water come over the swim deck. Obviously I can’t see where the bunks are but I’m assuming it’s fine under there. I think I really lucked out. Hopefully that scared us enough for that to never happen again!!
Sounds like you had an inexpensive lesson… we all get a turn bro! It was nice that the gods set the anchor on the swim step for you!

Don‘t beat yourself up!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've heard stories where the anchor slingshots into the boat. That can be scary!

I forgot the anchor my last time out, but my girls quickly yelled at me before I was even a few yards out. And I always idle out of the cove so no damage done

Shack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still can’t believe it was sitting on the swim deck. Crazy.

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We all have our moments.. I haven’t had too many ‘dumb ass’ moments in the 3 years I’ve owned the boat but I did launch it without the drain plug this summer. Luckily we went straight to the sandbar and someone mentioned “Why is your pump on”.. 😳 The influx of water managed to suck the drain plug into place which drastically reduced the amount of water flowing in. So yeah, we all have our moments.

Actually, I managed to keep from damaging the boat for the last few years but this year was rough. I took a chunk out of one of my side decals and put some gouges in the hull from pulling the anchor..

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I try to leave the anchor locker open while the anchor is down (can't always do this)....my visual clue. Next option is wrapping the lanyard around the throttles.
Great idea! Never thought about this happening.