• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New York and Smoke

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in NYC and the smoke and smell is overpowering. Looked like night here an hour ago.

On behalf of Canada, sorry eh? https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

One of the worst years in a long time all across the country. The capital city is completely under smoke for the last few days. Kids are kept indoors during recess. Apocalyptic scenes everywhere.

I am just worried that I may not have a flight to fly out if it gets worse. I want to go home :(

Flights haven't been cancelled here. They are able to fly IFR vs. VFR in commercial jets. I work in aviation. If there's ash, it's a different issue. But smoke isn't a problem.... at least at this degree.

Are these pyromaniacs doing this or natural and man made occurrences. 100 terrorists with gas could probably burn California to the ground

I mean, I'm not tracking the hundreds of fires across Canada. But to my knowledge, the vast majority are natural. We've had excessively hot weeks with zero rain in many parts of the country. Add some occasional lightning with winds and you've got this. But I'm sure the reasons for each fire are somewhat different depending on the province.

We have been in it for a couple of weeks, first Alberta now Quebec. The Quebec fires have caused more low level haze here. It is hard to smell smoke over the cut hay and cow manure, lol. The wind pattern , jet stream, has shifted West of us now, dropping down across New York and giving us much needed rain from North Eastern Canada, rare Noreaster this time of year. You can keep the cold air up there, eh. 50's today, 90° a couple of days ago.

I saw 40C (104F) on my car thermometer last week in a parking lot. I realize it's exagerated, but point is, it was freaking hot! Today, 16C (61F). Talk about contrast. I saw they're forecasting better air quality for us in Ottawa tomorrow. But yeah, since the fires aren't out, the smoke is just moving around to other folks.

Latest smoke forecast as of a couple of minutes ago.

20230607_172447.jpg

It's funny, we've been dealing with this in WI for the last two weeks. No major news stories. No politicians calling it the end of the world and blaming climate change. No BS - we just man-up and move on with our lives. The east coast is so full of little *******.

According to the news yesterday New York had the worst air quality of any major city in the world.

Far far worse than the air quality in Wisconsin.

It's funny, we've been dealing with this in WI for the last two weeks. No major news stories. No politicians calling it the end of the world and blaming climate change. No BS - we just man-up and move on with our lives. The east coast is so full of little *******.
Yeah....no where near as bad as what is hitting the east coast. New York hit a score of 470 yesterday, while Delhi and Shanghai were in the 170-250 range. As someone who's been to India and experienced a 250 air quality, I can tell you that what the people in Wisconsin are dealing with has no place making the news. A day in 250 air quality has me blowing shit out of my sinus for a week. I can't imagine 400+!!!!

Perhaps you should go to New York and breath deeply to help them clean their air as its no big deal?

Same thing here in SD when the smoke blows in from Canada and the west coast states from their annual forest fires…already happened this year, no big news stories other than the local news saying to limit your “activity”. Be nice if those western states would manage their forests better so that there wouldn’t be these annual devastating ecologically sterilizing wild fires. Here in SD while “controverisal” [SIC], and after some big fires around 2015 the state started actively thinning the forests to contain / eliminate the bark beetle infestation here so that now when, not if, if there is a fire, resources are able to contain the fire quickly with little loss of forest, as most of the time it is just the grass under the trees burning. With a thinned forest the trees are healthy and able to ward off the bark beetle.

The response here to forest / wild fires here is nothing short of aggressive and it is truly impressive to see such good forest management.

What’s the old saying? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

No one in NY is calling it the end of the world, the city keeps running and they deal with it .... without calling the people of Wisconsin who are complaining about smoke sissies (and yes the far thinner smoke in WI has made the news).

Not sure why you feel so compelled to attack people you've never met...it's part of what's wrong with this country.

How about "Wow....yeah that smoke is WAY F'ING thicker than what we have in Wisconsin! An air quality measurement over 400 is insane! Hope it clears quickly!"

The worst AQI I can find for Wisconsin was in 2021 and hit 221. Less than half as bad as what NY is facing right now.

Empathy.....perhaps something you lack?

Back