• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Picking up a boat in a warm state and bringing it back home to a cold state in winter. What’s first things to do?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Guys looking to possibly pick up a used boat in a few days from a warm state and bring it back to 32 degree weather where I am still in middle of winter. I really wanted to take it for a drive and get it on the lift but not sure if it’s smart in this cold water. Also I probably need to winterize it ASAP correct? Fog engines? Let me know what you guys would do and I I should leave it on the trailer in the driveway for a few months and winterize it or take it for a drive and get it on the lift and then winterize it on the lift? Thoughts and let me know which winterizing things I should do? I don’t see it getting much colder than low 30’s.

Thanks!

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I personally would try and drive it in the warm climate before you get it home, I would also winterize it before I brought it home as well. Granted going for a rip in really cold water would show you it’s absolute top speed as the boat will run the best in the cold. If you winterized it immediately after driving in the cold you would be fine, but it is risky as you don’t want anything to freeze.

hopefully that helps,

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If it won’t get below the low 30s not sure you need to do much. All I really do (mine is stored indoors but it gets well below freezing) is pull the drain plugs, fog the engines, add fuel stabilizer and run the engines out of the water for 15-30 seconds and goose the throttles a bit at the end.

then I take the batteries out and put them on a trickle charger in my garage. I set them on wood, not concrete.

i have the ballast system so I open the lines in a few places and pour in pipeline antifreeze. Not sure this is really necessary but it gives me comfort.

if I were you, I’d probably do all this before heading back North. Just easier and more comfortable.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I personally would try and drive it in the warm climate before you get it home, I would also winterize it before I brought it home as well. Granted going for a rip in really cold water would show you it’s absolute top speed as the boat will run the best in the cold. If you winterized it immediately after driving in the cold you would be fine, but it is risky as you don’t want anything to freeze.

hopefully that helps,
Agreed. Tempting to open her up in the cold but I can’t imagine the air blast!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK....the primary concern then will be the ballast system as it can hold water, and the main issues there are the pumps and the fittings (the hoses and bags aren't a problem). What I do is:
  • ensure the intake valve is open (its under the starboard engine....handle pointing up is open)
  • then I run the ballast to each bag briefly (like 10-30 seconds), then cancel, while holding the bags up (one at a time). this gets the water out of the motors and most out of the bags.
  • If you want, you can disconnect the bags....I've not done this and had no issues.
  • The only other thing you could do to be anal would be to suck up antifreeze from the hoses to each bag (I've not done that either).
That is what I do.....you just want to be sure the system is as empty as you can get it and no water is in the pumps or fittings.

As for the rest of the boat.....
  • rev the engines a few times on the ramp to clear them
  • fill the tank and add stabil
  • put the batteries on tenders
  • I remove everything from the boat and put in 4-5 small buckets of damp rid
  • make sure the clean out plugs are pulled and dry
  • I clean the seats with Vinyl Sauce
  • Cry a little....then have a beer.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Many , including me and more importantly most dealers. will tell you to skip the fogging oil. Fuel injected engines like ours don't benefit from it ex. in the harshest of winter climates.

Last edited:

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I actually just fog the outside. a quick spray to coat and protect against rust.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I actually just fog the outside. a quick spray to coat and protect against rust.
Understood! With all due respect I believe a strong case for Lake Placid being a "harsh winter climate" could be made ?? You need all the protection available.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Put the fuel stabilizer in before you test it. Put in the fuel stabilizer, fill tank. Go run the boat and this will get the treated fuel into the fuel system.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Warranty ends on the boat before I would drop it in the water in the spring. Kind of want to run it and make sure no kinks need to be worked out by my local dealer before it runs out. I can extended it for 2 years though which I will probably do. I want to give it a sea trial at home though. Water is 48 degrees. Is that too cold to fill the ballast tanks just to make sure they work? Previous owner said he never used the ballast bags. It’s got a recent oil change and spark plugs and everything was done for 50 hour service. I don’t typically like to drop the boat in the water till spring but considering dropping this in earlier and putting it on the lift in the backyard. 24’ won’t fit in the garage like mg 21’ did in the winters. First world problems I know lol @Julian

Would rather have dealer fix any issues now than when we are trying to use it in spring and summer.

And one more question to you guys with this tower and wet sounds sound bar and big speakers up on tower. Do you guys that boat in saltwater spray the tower and all those speakers with fresh water and wash them after each use? Can the top speakers handle water or that would be a bad idea? I’m thinking all the speakers on the boat can get wet.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would test everything when you pick it up and sea trial it....INCLUDING the ballast. Makes me suspicious when someone says they didn't use something....I translate that to....it doesn't work, but if I say I never used it I can't be blamed. If you find it doesn't work, then its a way to pull the price down.

As for filling the ballast in 48 degree water....I'd be more concerned with the outside temp than the water temp. As long as the water ain't frozen, I splash it if you want to....the problem would be if the outside temp is low...that water can freeze quickly.

Tower speakers in salt....rinse them off after use. Fresh water on them would be less corrosive than leaving salt on them.