• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shade tree mechanic says my engine is blown, I don’t trust him.

Mikey Mike

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of my engines quit running last summer. Our river does have a lot of sea weed and the one engine just didn’t seem to be running right, for a day or two. I didn’t see anything in the jets obstructing it. One day the oil light turned on and when I noticed it, it finally had shut off. It wouldn’t start back up. My shade tree mechanic said well it won’t even turn over, it’s locked up you need a new engine. Is that even a possibility? I’ve heard these Yamaha 190’s have a shut off mechanism and it may be an electrical problem and not a total blown engine problem. I’m a novice with boats and wondering if it could be less problematic than that?

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Posting some more information about the year and model of your boat would likely get you more help.

If you don't trust your mechanic have someone else look at it.

It is entirely possible to lock up an engine but I would investigate something stuck in the impeller before condemning the engine. If there is nothing ovious stuck in the pump try turning the engine over by hand at the coupler. If it is hard to turn remove the spark plugs and try turning the engine, if it still doesn't turn remove the pump and eliminate it as a possibility of being locked up and preventing the engine from turning. If you have done all that and it still doesn't turn then the engine or the mid shaft bearing is locked up, you may beable to tell which one for sure by wiggling the separate coupler halfs.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One of my engines quit running last summer. Our river does have a lot of sea weed and the one engine just didn’t seem to be running right, for a day or two. I didn’t see anything in the jets obstructing it. One day the oil light turned on and when I noticed it, it finally had shut off. It wouldn’t start back up. My shade tree mechanic said well it won’t even turn over, it’s locked up you need a new engine. Is that even a possibility? I’ve heard these Yamaha 190’s have a shut off mechanism and it may be an electrical problem and not a total blown engine problem. I’m a novice with boats and wondering if it could be less problematic than that?
You do not have a "Yamaha 190". Your boat listed is a 2008 AR230. This boat has two 1052cc (1.0l) Yamaha MR-1 engines putting out 160hp each. I don't know if your shady tree mechanic knows anything about these boats. He says locked up? Did he pull the spark plugs and try to turn the motor by using a wrench or by hand at the coupler. Did he do a diagnostic test on the ecu. Water/condensation can accumulate inside and fry the electronics. The ecu can be rebuilt. Oil light...had the oil been recently changed by that mechanic? Does he know anything about oil levels in dry sump engines? Was your boat "making oil"? Too high oil level, smeling like gas.This is an ecu problem. Happens when a fuel injector sticks open and fuel washes down the cylinder, past the rings, into the oil, increasing its level in the engine. How many hours on the boat? These boats do not have a factory hour meter. It needs to be read using YDS (Yamaha diagnostic system).
Many threads here addressing all of this. FWIW, a 190 is a 19' single engine boat. They will be powered by an 1800cc (1.8l) engine with output of 180hp.
There are members here that can help you learn more about your boat.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
it may have run out of oil or it mat have something locked in the pump and will need to be removed or the pump bearings went bad so in this case I would remove the pump first and then see if the engine has any problems. Many a person with a bad pump believed the engine was locked up.

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Agreed, I had a swollen wear ring and it would not allow the engine to turn over. A mechanic that isn’t familiar with these engines could have thought it was a bad engine. It could be as simple as that.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the boat is as it was left the last time it ran/stopped I suppose the first thing is to pull the dipstick and verify how much oil was/is in the motor. After that there are many people here that can provide good information on a process of elimination. Be prepared to be methodical and precise when you start the elimination process and describing your findings back to this forum. You may be a novice now but that will pass. If totally overwhelmed seek out another Yamaha Owner at your riding spot or try a trip to a dealer.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No mention of checking the oil level after getting an oil light.

An engine stopping due to low oil pressure, the op stated he didn’t notice the oil light until after the engine quit and wouldn’t start, and his “shady” mechanic said it’s locked up and won’t turn over is usually a sign of an oil deprivation seizure.

The OP hasn‘t been back since 41 minutes after joining and posting this thread.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
[QUOTE="FSH 210 Sport, post: The OP hasn‘t been back since 41 minutes after joining and posting this thread.
[/QUOTE]
FYI He is on the yamaha jet boaters Facebook forum as well and he posted this there as well before posting here.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
[QUOTE="FSH 210 Sport, post: The OP hasn‘t been back since 41 minutes after joining and posting this thread.
FYI He is on the yamaha jet boaters Facebook forum as well and he posted this there as well before posting here.
[/QUOTE]

Okay, well I do not participate on FB… did he say whether or not he checked the oil??!!!!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Okay, well I do not participate on FB… did he say whether or not he checked the oil??!!!!!
[/QUOTE]
Not that I recall. I interpreted his posts to reflect that he is just starting to research this issue.

fyi I only joined Facebook to use market place and now to try and sell parts off the donor boat I purchased late last year. Definitely not nearly as helpful or informative as this site. A lot of guys just showing off there stuff and asking a lot of questions that have been asked and answered sometimes quite often before. A simple search here,YJB or YouTube would have got them the information they are looking for a lot faster.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not that I recall. I interpreted his posts to reflect that he is just starting to research this issue.

fyi I only joined Facebook to use market place and now to try and sell parts off the donor boat I purchased late last year. Definitely not nearly as helpful or informative as this site. A lot of guys just showing off there stuff and asking a lot of questions that have been asked and answered sometimes quite often before. A simple search here,YJB or YouTube would have got them the information they are looking for a lot faster.
[/QUOTE]
87% of the questions on this forum could be answered by chatGPT faster.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Probably without the messed up [quotes/

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Probably without the messed up [quotes/
What is chatGTP? I was surprised to find google searches leading me directly to posts here about the subject I was searching for. Searchers in that situation would not be able to post or respond to what they see here unless they are also members but at least they could find and get information quickly. If chatGTP is faster or noticeably better/more reliable I would be willing to try it out.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is AI. GTP 4 is pretty impressive for what it is. But it is creating a lot of controversy with mis information. We have multiple APPS and CRM integrations with the GPT AI to assist in sales and Marketing.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is the chatgpt reply to the original post (I added that it’s regarding a Yamaha jetboat:

It's possible that the issue with your Yamaha jet boat's engine is not as severe as a complete engine replacement. If your engine was running poorly and then suddenly shut off, it's possible that there is an issue with the fuel system or ignition system, such as a clogged fuel filter or a faulty spark plug.

The oil light turning on could indicate low oil pressure, which could be caused by a variety of issues including low oil level, a faulty oil pressure sensor, or a clogged oil filter. It's also possible that there is an electrical issue causing the engine to shut off, such as a faulty battery or alternator.

It's important to have a qualified mechanic diagnose the issue with your engine to determine the root cause of the problem. They can perform diagnostic tests to identify the issue and provide a proper solution, which may not necessarily be a complete engine replacement.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When I asked “what about the sea weed?”

this was the response:

Sea weed can cause issues with a jet boat's intake and impeller, which can lead to reduced performance and potentially even engine damage. However, if there were no visible obstructions in the jet, it's possible that sea weed was not the cause of the issue.

That being said, it's always a good idea to inspect your boat's intake and impeller regularly for any debris, including sea weed, and remove any obstructions to ensure proper performance and prevent damage to your engine. If you're unsure of how to perform these inspections, your Yamaha jet boat owner's manual should provide guidance on the proper maintenance procedures.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
[/QUOTE]
87% of the questions on this forum could be answered by chatGPT faster.
[/QUOTE]

I asked Chatgpt how to clear a blockage on my yamaha jet pump, and it didn't suggest using the clean out ports.

It does answer questions with decent generic answers. For example I asked it how to connect YDS to my boat, and it basically said plug it in, turn it on and follow the directions! LOL

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
AI answers are like owners manual. Not very exciting, and often wrong or incomplete.

If you know nothing on a topic it's useful, but with some knowledge, looking for a hard answer... Useless.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So this is what it spewed out. Not too off and referenced this forum twice.

"How can I make my 2020 AR210 Yamaha go faster"

You can try removing the air filters to see if there is any improvement in speed. Also, the impellers and caulking around the intake grates play a big role in performance¹.

Another option is to use a power control chip module like Dyno-Boost which tunes your power train with advanced fuel curve to harness your Yamaha AR210 Jetboat’s full power³.

I hope this helps!

Source: Conversation with Bing, 4/26/2023
(1) Yamaha Boat,not fast enough?? - JetBoaters.net. https://jetboaters.net/threads/yamaha-boat-not-fast-enough.9383/.
(2) Yamaha AR210 Jetboat MAGNUM Dyno-Boost Boat Performance Chip. Yamaha AR210 Jetboat MAGNUM Dyno-Boost Boat Performance Chip.
(3) 2019 Yamaha AR210 top speed - JetBoaters.net. https://jetboaters.net/threads/2019-yamaha-ar210-top-speed.23194/.

1682552075957.png