• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us what you see!!!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Very cool @scot71 !! Do those engines move from station to station while being built or are the built individually...as in each engine by one person?? Also, how many can be built in a day??

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@scot71 ............. Incredibly KEWL video. So many thanks for sharing.
A few questions. When you are done (with a "typical" power plant .......... whatever you consider typical)
1) How many cylinders are in it 2) How many people worked on the power plant during it's build and testing ? 3) How much power does it develop in operation ? 4) HOw much does this weigh ? and 5) Is there a typical HP rating ? Thanks, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
I'm glad you liked it. I have to admit, even after all this time that I've been there. I'm still very impressed by what we do.

Ok, let me try to answer your questions.

The 3500 series engines come as either an 8cyl, 12cyl, 16cyl, or 20cyl. We used to make a 24cyl that was made from two 12cyl engines mated at the crank. I'm not sure we still make that one.
The 3600 series comes as a straight 6cyl, 12cyl, or a 16cyl.

I'm not sure what the total number of people that touch every part of a finished engine would be, but I know that 14 people will touch each block during the machining process before it is ready to go to assembly.

As for power. There are so many different configurations that I really have no idea how much power they typically produce. We make engines that run on diesel, natural gas, propane, and a blend of diesel and gas.

I'm not sure about weight either. I was told once that a 3616 Gen Set out the door will weigh somewhere over 90 tons.

Like I said, they still impress me.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very cool @scot71 !! Do those engines move from station to station while being built or are the built individually...as in each engine by one person?? Also, how many can be built in a day??
Thanks Jim, happy to share. The 3500 series is primarily built on a line and the 3600 series are individually built by I think two or three people.

As for how many can be built. The most I remember us having to build was something like 54 a day, but that was before the economy tanked in 2009. For the last several years we've been in the mid 30's a day on the 3500 series and 1 to 1.5 a day on the 3600 series.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is still quite a few engines in a day!! Toured a Cessna plant once and it was amazing!! The plant was over a mile long and each plane would spend a certain amount of time at a certain station then move on until it was completed. I forget how many planes they were working on at one time or even how long it took to complete one from start to finish. Biggest plant I have ever been in for sure!!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My work bench this morning...
upload_2015-2-11_10-31-7.png

Most of those quart cans hold a product called void filler. Mostly used in the aircraft industry. GE motors will use this product inside the cowling to give the blades something to spin against when the turbines crank up. A 1/2"X 1/2" X 1" block, once cured(5 hours at 120F) will take in upwards of 2000 psi to crush. Very light weight.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is still quite a few engines in a day!! Toured a Cessna plant once and it was amazing!! The plant was over a mile long and each plane would spend a certain amount of time at a certain station then move on until it was completed. I forget how many planes they were working on at one time or even how long it took to complete one from start to finish. Biggest plant I have ever been in for sure!!
I'm always amazed at the manufacturing capabilities we have in our country and the wonderful people that work in the various industries. Now if only we could get these companies to stop sending everything overseas. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go study my mandarin language lesson. :rolleyes:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My work bench this morning...
View attachment 16860

Most of those quart cans hold a product called void filler. Mostly used in the aircraft industry. GE motors will use this product inside the cowling to give the blades something to spin against when the turbines crank up. A 1/2"X 1/2" X 1" block, once cured(5 hours at 120F) will take in upwards of 2000 psi to crush. Very light weight.
Jim ....... This is amazing. Sorry but I didn't "get" anything you wrote. Being retired is a TERRIBLE waste of a mind ....... LOL !
Sounds like sumptin' I could use around here ... So if I can paraphrase ......... "
...this product inside on @MikeyL will give him something to spin against when the Barbie cranks up ..." .... OK ?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nope....Chicago....the building in the distance in the center between the other buildings is the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower, and the other tall building on the right is the much newer Trump Tower.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
+   +   +   A  Only Thursday - X1 - sm.jpg

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
+   +   +  A Stay Strong - sm1.jpg

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To combine two threads. This what I see right now.20150212_083841.jpg

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That brings up so many great memories! My uncle used to drive for Exxon in the Hampton Roads area and he would tske me with him. I would sit on a a box in the cab because there wasn't a seat for the passenger. Great pics!!
@Jim Robeson that's cool. I am from Newport News, VA and used alot of Exxons in the area :)

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I sincerely hope this is OK ............
While waitng for the "GRAND ANNOUNCEMENT" by Yamaha @ 11 AM today, and as reported on by @Murf'n'surf .......
I was sent this today. I snopes.com checked its validity .........
'Jes lending more credibility to Quality reporting ........

Brian Williams - X1 - sm.jpg

Last edited: