• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tap into switches for powering Garmin screen?

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can i tap into the one of the rocker switches to power my Garmin Echomap UHD2 94sv?
Or tap into connext screen?
AR210 here.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Can i tap into the one of the rocker switches to power my Garmin Echomap UHD2 94sv?
Or tap into connext screen?
AR210 here.
Do you have any unused accessory switches?

No on the connext screen.

Last edited:

BlueBulls

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Garmin shows the unit as drawing 3.5 amps, which I would assume is inclusive of the transducer. If I recall on my own accessory switches they were tagged with a maximum of 3 amps. I think you are in the territory of putting a distribution panel under the helm and going straight to the battery. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WM2MWQ4

This also makes it really easy to add accessories in the future and will allow you to turn the boat completely off while leaving your accessories running off the house battery.

I second not tapping into anything related to the Connext - the whole system seems very sensitive to voltage spikes and drops. I love my boat but the next will not have any type of proprietary computer system.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Garmin shows the unit as drawing 3.5 amps, which I would assume is inclusive of the transducer. If I recall on my own accessory switches they were tagged with a maximum of 3 amps. I think you are in the territory of putting a distribution panel under the helm and going straight to the battery. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WM2MWQ4

This also makes it really easy to add accessories in the future and will allow you to turn the boat completely off while leaving your accessories running off the house battery.

I second not tapping into anything related to the Connext - the whole system seems very sensitive to voltage spikes and drops. I love my boat but the next will not have any type of proprietary computer system.

All the accessory switches on my boat came with 5A ckt breakers.. just have to take a gander and see.

The DVSR takes care of making sure all house loads are coming off of the house battery automatically as long as the emergency paralleling switch is in the off position on the battery switch.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trying to think of alternatives to putting a distribution panel. How about tapping into the radio power?
IMG_3010.jpeg

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have any unused accessory switches?

No on the connext screen.
No unused accessory switches, but could use the ctsy lights switch potentially, if it’s got enough power going its way. I never use those lights anyway. Anyone knows if that would works?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I personally wouldn't tap existing switches or the connext. Some do. Just run wire from battery switch to a fuse panel under the helm put a block of starboard there with 5200 and then screw the panel into it. I have a thread around here where you can see it.

If you short something out like the connext, it is going to be an expensive experience.

A bit of extra work and you will have a solid nice clean install.

Last edited:

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I decided to tap into the 12v outlet wires behind the helm. I tested it and it works great, it’s secure, and I don’t really use that outlet anyway. I may decide to change that down the line. Now back to the installing that damn transducer.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I decided to tap into the 12v outlet wires behind the helm. I tested it and it works great, it’s secure, and I don’t really use that outlet anyway. I may decide to change that down the line. Now back to the installing that damn transducer.
Since you have to pull the transducer wire to the back of the boat anyway, I would pull power wires back to the battery while you are at it (and install a fuse block behind the helm). You'll thank yourself later when you want to add a marine radio, USB outlets, fume detector, bilge alarm etc. Its really easy to do.....just the cost of the wire and block.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Since you have to pull the transducer wire to the back of the boat anyway, I would pull power wires back to the battery while you are at it (and install a fuse block behind the helm). You'll thank yourself later when you want to add a marine radio, USB outlets, fume detector, bilge alarm etc. Its really easy to do.....just the cost of the wire and block.
Absolutely!

The only thing I would add would be to use #10 wire from the batteries and put a 30A breaker there to protect that run up to and behind the helm to feed the fuse block, I would suggest tapping onto the switched side of your house battery switch so you can turn everything off that is fed off of that fuse block when you leave the boat. Then you can protect each device separately with the correct size fuse for the wire / device as it leaves the fuse block and as @Julian says you will be thanking yourself later on!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I tapped into my courtesy light switch. Since I never use those inside the boat, it was the best power source for me and closest to he unit.