• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking of getting a dog

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
12CF8FB7-71BC-4979-8726-19645DCCC49E.png FDFDEB5A-A43F-4603-9E7A-4B3BBE4AD873.png We have a 100lb English Chocolate Lab - BIG block head. He’s 4 now - got him from the breeder when he was 6 weeks old.
We’ve had a Shepherd and a Siberian Husky before - both great dogs. BUT - after having this dumb dumb, I will always have an English Lab.
He’s been absolutely amazing. House broken after 1 week at home. He never runs off the property (no fences) - he chases the squirrels, but comes to a screeching halt at the boundary. Don’t know how or why.
Yeah he sheds, but so what.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a 100lb English Chocolate Lab - BIG block head
We have an English white lab that has a big block head! She's 5 now, but still acts like a pup. She's our third one.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a female dog at home that I am seriously thinking to put for adaption. Just checked with the lawyer though, it might be too expensive and will take probably 8 to 12 months.

PS. A basset hound ( see profile picture) will never bit you or anyone. They are very difficult to train though.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Since people started putting images in, I guess I have to share my two. IMG_0180.JPGIMG_6351.jpeg IMG_0181.JPG

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I never want a dog big enough to look me in the eye and wonder if it can take me.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Scottintexas , you have seen enough of Chester to last you a lifetime. Boxers are great with kids and family. They can be over zealous but many dog breeds are. Rescues are great, but just remember that you may be inheriting whatever bad situation the dog came from. Your words indicate that you may not be wanting to take on the training or be dedicated to making sure you are the alpha in the house, as a matter of fact, everyone human in your House is an alpha, the dog should never be. Otherwise, the dog rules. In the infamous words or Ceasar Milan, it is exercise, discipline, and affection...in that order. There are always more than one way to “skin” a cat. But they are not all positive reinforcement. A well disciplined and behaved dog is great, but a dog in general, just wants to love you. Most of the breeds you mention, will kill themselves just to be with you and please you. I can’t encourage you enough to take the plunge!

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We have an English white lab that has a big block head! She's 5 now, but still acts like a pup. She's our third one.
Yeah - my dumb dumb acts like a puppy every chance he gets. He’s a complete idiot. He loves the snow and I can not keep him out of the water - jumps head first into the lake after the geese all day. E890BCA2-6295-4CF4-A4D8-22E54C50F459.png
Every family is entitled to that once in a life time dog - and I truly believe that he’s that dog.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The youngest daughter (13) has about wore me down. She wants to be a dog trainer. She has a job walking the neighbors dogs a couple nights a week so she's shown some responsibility.

I love dogs but realize they are a lot of work and my family isn't the most disciplined.
Scott, this is for your daughter. https://clickertraining.com/get-started I know you have been bombarded with information here, so I will pile on more. Of all the dogs I have owned/co-owned, the only one that bit anybody was a shepherd mutt, bit the paperboy when he stepped on his tail when I was just a kid, no harm done luckily. Our 12 yo Akita, Bella was probably the best dog I have ever owned, RIP, she loved everybody and anything that came into her yard. A little difficult to train, you had to prove to her that what you were teaching her was important to her. Her love was enormous. Zipper, my 14 yo Border Collie, RIP, was a working farm dog, sheep chaser, and that was good that he had a job, a lot of energy in those dogs. We are now raising Mia, our Tervuren to be our next best dog and she is doing great. Your daughter may find the link above helpful. I know this training gets results in dogs and horses. I trained a 16 hand horse to take an oral medicine by syringe, without being held, when 24hrs. before he lifted both myself and the Vet off the floor trying to get it into him. Good luck to you and your daughter, pretty sure she will like this stuff. If people can train killer whales with this technique, it will work for others more domesticated.

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your daughter definitely shows responsibility and she will probably take care of the dog. That's a good thing

You have talked about cost of a puppy but just know that any initial cost can pale in comparison to health/vet bills. I have been lucky and I know there are different thoughts on how much you would spend to help your family member if it needs something (swallow socks, balls, diseases, ears, eyes, etc). Some dogs like to chew your house and furniture... $$. Pick carefully and ask around

I have had retrievers, sheep dogs, beagle (bad experience), and our last was a Bernese mountain dog. While they are huge, ours was very calm and a top pick IMO. They definitely shed and I am not recommending this but just mentioning that sometimes its the small dogs that are a pain in the ... check out personality guides on line to work towards a good fit.

You can see everyone's pictures and you can bet, they are favorite family members to all of us. 2 kinds of people; dog people and non dog people.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On a related note I am a new fan of pet insurance after our dog got gastro enteritis (bad tummy ache) and pancreatitis this thanksgiving (we mistakenly fed her a lot of left over turkey, she should have had none). Two nights in the pet hospital and $3k later, the insurance company reimbursed us almost the entire amount. It’s about $15 per month for our 10 year old but rates vary.

Bedlamfirm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Boxers are great. We are on our 3rd. Male. He will get to about 55-60 lbs and will still want to climb on your lap. Our new boy is 8 months old and very excited to introduce him to the boat and lake.

Attachments

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Scott, I wanted to add as I read what the other guys have added. Cost. Yep, getting a dog with a health guarantee and breeder support is worth it. But, they won’t pay the bills after you fall in love with your pup. Two words to save your home...crate train. When I was a kid and early in adult life, whoever heard of it? Now, I would do nothing else. Yeah, you might luck out and not have damage. But with a crate, it is really minimized. While Chester is the best pottier and accident free dog we have ever had, we have missed the cue a few times and caused the accident ourselves. But when we are not home, or even at night, Chester normally sleeps in his crate. A precious boxer, Amanda Sue (Mandy), tore up all the screens and chewed through the door facing and window facing on a home we had back then. She did about $2000 Worth if damage in ONE DAY! Because her stupid owners put her out back thinking the fenced yard was a good place for her. It was, but not unattended. She was trying to get back in to her “pack”...us. She would jump and climb a 6 foot wood privacy fence too. I had to have an 8’ fence built and then she started to chew through it! Separation anxiety. A crate cured all that and we have never had anything like that with the next 3 boxers we had. I wanted to add too, if you want the loyal companion, a single dog is best. When you have two or dogs, they form a small pack and while you are part, you are different. It is just a different dynamic with two or more vs a single dog. But I can’t stress enough, how you guys must learn to be the pack leader and not let the dog set the tone. Easier said than done sometimes. And...some breeds are just more difficult to train because of a bloodline that is strong willed. It’s a good trait, but not for a non trained human. All of this said, you can lick out with any breed and get a dog that just clicks with you. But it is also possible to get that psycho dog. And it is with the later that you have to think like a pack animal in order to get the point across. Beating, grounding, yelling, sending to bed without dinner...won’t work. You want to teach your dog to make eye contact with you. You want a dog that uses his nose more than his eyes. Scent is the main key to teaching a dog. Treats are your friend and while it seems like a bribe, it will get the results you want and get food habit patterns started. When nighttime comes, Chester runs to his crate and waits. He wants that treat! If we forget the treat, and lock him in, he will whine and not lay down until he gets it. He also needs mom to give him a hug before he can go to sleep. He is a real love in our life. He’s 8, and his health issues have cost us well over $5000 to date. He caught leptospirosis as 5 months. He went blind with two detached retinas, he has been but by a copperhead. Sprayed by a skunk. Broken an ankle. And continues to have acid reflux that causes him not to eat or drink for sometimes two or three days. Chester is family, like our child. We love him dearly and I can’t tell you what your missing to it have had a dog like this in your home. Chester is an inside dog, but living in 5 acres, when he goes out to potty, anything can happen. So we have to guard against all that, hence the broken leg, skunk, snake, lepto, etc. even when we were guarding against. He certainly sheds, but it is minute compared to long hair dogs. Dogs that don’t shed have more dander however. Right now, we’re in the motorhome, with all this rain, down in Carrollton at the Rv Park, to enjoy the Rv show and rodeo this weekend. Having him with us here too, it’s just part of it. We’re used to it!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Bedlamfirm , he’s a beautiful boy! Chester is a lap dog for sure! Unless his breeder has bred very small boxers, you might want to expect a bigger dog...Chester is lean and trim, and he weighs 70 pounds!!!
BE1BEAD4-26D7-4D13-A6E4-2B68EB4A7D63.jpeg

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you have a slight fear or concern of dogs because you been bitten in the past then I would get a puppy verses a rescuer dog.
A rescue dog could have a shady past or an abusive owner which could result in behavior problems or aggression.
If your daughter would like to be a dog trainer let her start with a puppy - so much fun teaching your pup tricks and great practice for her.
Important to train your dog and teach them bounties, this will cut you chances of bad behavior in half
Labs and Golden Retrievals shed but are the sweetest and smart dogs I have owned - easy to train

Our Lab past last year so we now have a GoldenDoodle NO SHEDDING! easy to train and love kids

Good Luck!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20180501_171217.jpg

well who would have thought all you had to do to get a 13 yr old to clean their room was tell them we agreed to get a dog, the floor is clear, vacuumed and even dusted, I should have played this for more,

a 2 yr old boxer from the Pilot Point, TX pound, picked up as a stray two weeks ago, He's been great so far, very docile, hardly jumps or barks,

Grace and her new bestie "Hunter"

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never had a dog in my life until my GF became my Wife and it was a package deal. In the Past 12 years I've come to love this dog, a Maltese. With a little time everyday I was able to teach her a lot of commands, she walks without a leash and is super obedient. Best of all, she doesn't shed as she's a hair dog as opposed to a fur dog. (Important for me because I'm allergic to cat and dog dander) Not sure how it actually came to happen, but when she needs to go out she'll find me and give me a push with her paws. Whatever you choose you'll enjoy!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dog training is simple. . No matter what method u use anything bad is BAD and anything good is GOOD. meaning when they do bad make sure it is clear that it isnunacceptabke and when they do good use a high pitched voice and kinda go over the top! Dogs are pack animals.. . They want to please the pack. Making a good hard sounding word for bad is important... NO! NEIGH! Or so forth but make sure u go over the top with the good praise and lovings! After a week or so the ground rules are established and its easy sailing from there own out.. I can say the name of my dogs and just give then the stink eye if they start to do something they are not suppose to and the will stop. It works on the kids for the most part.. . Not so much on the wife! :blackeye:

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if you have decent room to run, like a large yard, I would suggest herding type...i'm sure its been suggested before.

I grew up with Shelties all my life. Loved them, wonderful to train. infectiously loyal. When we had to move into town about 13 yrs ago, our two eventually went to live their last days with my mom and dad-they had 17 acres to run. I miss them terribly sometimes.

But....We have a small rescue mutt now, who is all but untrainable, and we love her for it lol we figure she had a very hard life before she came home with us. guards her food. cowers and goes prone if your voice is raised in the slightest.... My son taught her some basic tricks. But, she cant distinguish between them. If she knows you have a treat.... Quite hilariously, she will just immediately do all of them in succession without being prompted. sit/shake/rollover on her own until we just give up lol

oh I saw clicker training mentioned-it works. (just not on this dog) even on a cat we used to have.

good luck..

EDIT: missed the important post. congrats!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Congrats @Scottintexas , it will add new dimensions to the family I am sure. Boxers don’t have a tail to speak of as the spinal extension just doesn’t grow. Any idea of what the cross breeding is in him? Boxers are also pretty high energy and will jump and bark. But as mentioned above, it’s not hard to tell them what is and isn’t acceptable. Works with Chester, except for the dang doorbell! lol
Congrats again!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I also grew up with Shelties....great dogs...but the hair....not so great.

We have 2 labradoodles now....also great dogs....but I LOVE the fact that they don't shed. I don't miss the hair all over the place AT ALL!!!! Won't ever get a shedding dog again!

@Scottintexas Congrats on the new family member!!!! Lets see how long the room cleaning lasts!!! LOL