• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water coming in, from where?

JPow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m back, with more issues, haha. Someday I hope I can post something strictly good news. So the last few times I’ve taken my 2017 242x out we’ve noticed water in the engine compartment. It only appears when we’re running the engine hard, like say >6000rpms. If we’re just floating nothing comes in, if we’re idling thru a no wake zone, nothing comes in. But once I get it up on plane and get moving you can actually see water entering the engine compartment from kind of the back area. It’s not a scary amount and it can easily be handled by the bilge. However, when we get the boat back Onto the trailer and pull the plug water will pour out for literally 10min. So I’m somehow taking on a bunch of water that’s I guess settling in the hull somewhere? It never feels like we’re sinking thank god, but the boat will feel really heavy. There is no noticeable/obvious hole in the hull. So somehow water must be coming in through the engine area and then settles into the hull. Any ideas what this could be? I’m planning to take it into the shop but these days it’s a 4-6 week wait to even get in.

Is the water warm/hot or lake water temperature?

Is the water warm/hot or lake water temperature?
I haven’t really gotten my hand into the water in the engine compartment but the water that comes out the back is the temp of the water in the bay this time of year. It’s not hot.

My first thought is the intermediate shaft bearing seal is compromised. You say you can see it coming from the back area. Can you be more specific?
Not really. Like it’s not gushing in, just like a slow steady flow that kinda seems like it’s mostly coming from the back but it’s hard to really see the origin with all the hoses and the engines themselves. It only comes in when the engines are working hard. We can float for an hour and the compartment is dry as a bone. And even if I idle no water will accumulate either.

Check the water next time in the compartment when it is coming in. If it is warm or hot, most likely a hose. If it is same as lake water I would probably go with @sunbyrned suggestion that it is a bearing seal.

Ten minutes is a long time for a boat to drain out. Do you know if the bilge pump is working?

Lay a blue paper shop towel under the intermediate bearings in the engine compartment when it’s dry then go for a spin. If it’s coming from the bearings it will drip down onto the towel and you’ll be able to see it. There should be water drops on the bottom of the intermediate bearing housings if it’s coming in there.

When I was chasing down water intrusion I had a small LED maglight I’d use to peer down in from the mechanical hatch in the clean out tray.

When the boat is out of the water, figure out how to feel around the different areas that you can reach, when you are on the water you’ll have a better idea of where to reach around down there to check for leaks. Check all around the exhaust hoses and water locks. You can use the paper towel trick in these areas as well.

Are you clean out wells full of water? Could it be possible the water is coming from the clean out wells then getting into the bilge from the clean out tray not being sealed ?

Id also check the cooling water lines coming from the pump and make sure the clamps and hoses are still where they are supposed to be.

What about the ski and anchor lockers ? Are they dry? Do you have the plug(s) secured in the different compartments? Water pouring out for 10 minutes seems excessive and makes me think it is pooling in the ski and or head compartments?

Last edited:
If its coming in only during times you're running hard then as mentioned before I would check the intermediate seals, the clamps for the three-way joint of the cooling hoses coming from the pumps can rust and leak or another likely culprit is the thick rubber hose that is connected to the intermediate bearing and the plastic white piece from the pump area. That has two clamps on it that if they come lose they will leak under pressure but not during idle or slow speeds.

Hose/clamps over shaft:

1658836105421.png 1658836208165.png

Clamps on threeway joint:

1658836238155.png

However, when we get the boat back Onto the trailer and pull the plug water will pour out for literally 10min.
Anytime your boat is in the water the bilge pump should be on. If there is that much water draining after pulling it out of the water either the pump is not on, it's plugged up with debris or not working at all. Make sure you look into what's going on with the pump as well as your water infiltration issue.

Ok lots of good info. This is a dumb question but hey I’m new so might as well ask. The bilge is only in the engine compartment, correct? Or is there more than one? It doesn’t usually turn on bc there isn’t that much water in the engine compartment at any time. I’m quick to see it bc I know it’s a problem and the bilge kicks on and it drains. So we can pull the boat out of the water with little to no water in the engine compartment but then still drain like I said close to 10min of water out of the back.

There is one bilge in the engine compartment from the factory. A lot of people add a second bilge pump in the engine compartment or the rear bilge.

Lay a blue paper shop towel under the intermediate bearings in the engine compartment when it’s dry then go for a spin. If it’s coming from the bearings it will drip down onto the towel and you’ll be able to see it. There should be water drops on the bottom of the intermediate bearing housings if it’s coming in there.

When I was chasing down water intrusion I had a small LED maglight I’d use to peer down in from the mechanical hatch in the clean out tray.

When the boat is out of the water, figure out how to feel around the different areas that you can reach, when you are on the water you’ll have a better idea of where to reach around down there to check for leaks. Check all around the exhaust hoses and water locks. You can use the paper towel trick in these areas as well.

Are you clean out wells full of water? Could it be possible the water is coming from the clean out wells then getting into the bilge from the clean out tray not being sealed ?

Id also check the cooling water lines coming from the pump and make sure the clamps and hoses are still where they are supposed to be.

What about the ski and anchor lockers ? Are they dry? Do you have the plug(s) secured in the different compartments? Water pouring out for 10 minutes seems excessive and makes me think it is pooling in the ski and or head compartments?
There has been some water in the middle compartment, I guess that’s called the ski compartment but not a ton. I haven’t noticed any in the head compartment but honestly haven’t looked that closely. There is always water in the cylinder area above the clean out plugs but I know they’re in securely so maybe there’s a small leak there? I’d like to learn more about all of this stuff but I’m doubtful I’m ever going to be able to fix it on my own. I’ve only had this boat for 4 months and it’s been nothing but problems despite paying $500 for a jet boat expert to inspect it before I bought it. Very frustrating to say the least and I just don’t know enough to really troubleshoot in any depth.

There is one bilge in the engine compartment from the factory. A lot of people add a second bilge pump in the engine compartment or the rear bilge.
Yeah so the bilge in the engine compartment does work. But the water is obviously collecting somewhere else as well. And thus the crazy amount of drainage when we take it out.

Yeah so the bilge in the engine compartment does work. But the water is obviously collecting somewhere else as well. And thus the crazy amount of drainage when we take it out.
The way the hulls are laid out the water draining at the end of the day is in the bilge of the boat where the pump is located. Something isn't adding up.

If you have a "Crazy amount" of drainage at the end of the day, then I'm concerned your bilge pump isn't working. Have you seen it run or tested it?

Ok so the bilge pump is located in the floor (for lack of a better word) of the engine compartment, correct? I know I’ve turned it on and seen it pump water out but admittedly it does act squirrelly. But doesn’t it only pump water from the engine compartment? The water isn’t really accumulating there, only a smallish amount before I pump it out. You guys are saying that water can’t accumulate in the hull of the boat throughout the day and then drain out the back once it’s on a trailer?

Try not to get discouraged. You’re going to love this boat once it gets diagnosed and fixed. Hang in there. Regarding your pump, pull the cap and clean out the wire mesh filter. Could be why it seems squirrelly.

Ok so the bilge pump is located in the floor (for lack of a better word) of the engine compartment, correct? I know I’ve turned it on and seen it pump water out but admittedly it does act squirrelly. But doesn’t it only pump water from the engine compartment? The water isn’t really accumulating there, only a smallish amount before I pump it out. You guys are saying that water can’t accumulate in the hull of the boat throughout the day and then drain out the back once it’s on a trailer?

The bilge is below all the compartments.

Does the bilge pump only run when you turn on the switch? It is supposed to run automatically as well. There is a separate fuse for the automatic side of the bilge pump, it’s usually located in the battery compartment.

With the boat on the trailer, Pull the bilge pump out of the mount by squeezing tabs on the sides. The filter basket will be left down there, check for debris in the filter basket and the pump. If there’s a lot of debris in the basket, clean it out by hand, then use a hose to flush the bilge out with the drain plug out. Reinstall the bilge pump and make sure it is securely locked in.

With the boat on the trailer put the plug in and then put a hose into the bottom of the engine bay. Make sure your battery switches are on and Fill the engine bay until the bilge pump is submerged. If it doesn’t come on automatically there is an issue, probably a blown fuse.

It kinda sounds like the auto function is not working and water is collecting in the bilge above where the auto function would remove it.

Just to add to the statement above, my bilge pump will automatically turn on (if water is detected) whether the batteries are on or off. I have tested this with a hose on the trailor, it does take a few minutes running the garden hose to kick on. 2020 212S

Back