• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2023YM Stop Sale order <Yamaha has STOPPED SELLING non "Drive" boats>

JayAre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe I haven’t figured out the search keywords yet but I’m unable to find anything about this. Saw a post in the Yamaha Jetboat owners group that Yamaha has issued a stop sell order for all 23 models (excluding those equipped with Drive) because of an OEM recall for steering cable issues. Issued 4/14/23

Has anyone else heard of this or have any additional information? Just signed the papers on a sx220 on Friday so wondering how long it might be before this gets resolved.

Admin-added text to title

Last edited by a moderator:

Kong26

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I saw the same thing in the owners group. I am picking up my ‘23 this weekend and called the dealer today. They hadn’t heard anything about it but are getting back to me.

Nextlevel3223

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just purchased an 2023 AR 195 Sunday. They are supposed to be getting it all cleaned up and ready for delivery Tuesday but today they called saying I could NOT have the boat. I thought the deal was done and it was MY BOAT, $10K down, signed contract. They were supposed to delivery it to me...Now I can't have my boat because of this recall? WTF, can't wait for answers on this tomorrow morning, they said they will call Yamaha Direct and let me know.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well, they discovered a safety issue…good on them for trying to protect their customers.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
From the Yamaha Jetboat Owners facebook page,

Stewart Mers
This is a Stop Sale notice out of abundance of caution due to Dometic Steering Cable issues. Dometic has identified a problem in the rack steering system and is working on a recall procedure. We expect Yamaha to have a more concise answer from Domestic and procedure within the next 10 days. The only unaffected boats seem to be D models and 2023 25' FSH Models according to the sheet I saw.”

Reportedly also not just a Yamaha issue as Dometic supplies these cables to other boat manufacturers.

Jim

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

poolzone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Purchased an AR190 a month ago and scheduled to pick up this Saturday. Already made the first payment to Yamaha Financial Services and registered and titled the boat in my State and paid for a year of insurance Now I am told I can't pick it up and they have no idea when this will be resolved. I legally own the boat and they say I can't have it! I understand this is a "safety" issue but since this goes back to the 2022 models as well, have they issued a "stop use order" for those? If not, then how much of a safety issue is it really? I called Yamaha and they said that it was Dometic that issued the stop order, not Yamaha. Basically said "don't blame us, it isn't out problem" and also said they have no idea how long it will take for this to be resolved. But, in reality, manufacturers are supposed to monitor the quality of the incoming parts as well as audit their vendors for quality. So.... it is kind of your fault too Yamaha. Especially since Dometic had a big recall last Fall on steering cables. You would think they would have scrutinized the parts they used more thoroughly. Maybe we will be surprised and this will be resolved quickly but with the volume of boats affected (Yamaha and other brands) can we really expect them to determine a fix and ship out the needed parts in time for this season? Experience tells me... nope!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If you purchased it already and paperwork is done, it is legally yours. Tell them your coming to get the boat and if you refuse you will come with the sheriff to recover your property. Personally I would show up and refuse to leave until the boat is on my truck.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is the key. If you have closed on the loan or final paperwork, they cannot keep it from you. Also you could get compensated.

poolzone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have asked the dealer to explain how they can hold it when I legally own it. Waiting for a response. I think my contact there is off today so I may not hear back until tomorrow. I do want to tread a bit lightly so that the boat is properly prepared and ready to go... not looking to make an enemy with the dealer! Curious to know what you believe I should get compensated for.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Firstly, you are making payments on a boat that you have not received possession of. You purchased the boat before the NO SELL directive, so you bought in good faith. If they were aware before you signed then that is a whole different issue, since they led you to believe that you would take possession without disclosing. So I would knock on that door. See if they will throw some stuff in or accessories, etc. At the very least. If you don't have your boat for months, then you have loss of enjoyment/use of your legally owned property. I would discuss that, if it comes to that with an attorney.

Last edited:

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
That is the key. If you have closed on the loan or final paperwork, they cannot keep it from you. Also you could get compensated.
Agreed, Stop Sales only apply if the dealership still owns the boat. You have already completed the paperwork and have begun payments, it's ALREADY been SOLD and it's your boat, you had just left it at the dealer until you could pick it up. They have no legal right to withhold your property at this point unless they offer you compensation (and you agree), go pick it up.

Had this happen with my RZR back in '18 during a Polaris Stop Sale for the muffler fire issue. I'd bought my RZR but left it at the dealership while I was waiting on my trailer to be completed and in the meantime Polaris issued a Stop Sale. The dealership didn't want me to pick it up until the recall they didn't have parts for was complete. I declined and picked it up (after a few "discussions") and brought it back a few weeks later to get the heat shield installed.

poolzone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you all for confirming what I was thinking. You have given me some great talking points and I will be pursuing this tomorrow with the dealer. I'll let you know how it goes.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you all for confirming what I was thinking. You have given me some great talking points and I will be pursuing this tomorrow with the dealer. I'll let you know how it goes.
At the very least, get some free stuff.

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
There might be a difference if the Stop Sale or Stop Use order was issued by a federal agency like the CPSC or USCG but it's a voluntary recall/Stop Sale that Yamaha has issued to it's dealers "out of an abundance of caution" and it's not even a Stop Use notice to end users. Not giving legal advice but they DON'T have a legal leg to stand on to deny you your property.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
There might be a difference if the Stop Sale or Stop Use order was issued by a federal agency like the CPSC or USCG but it's a voluntary recall/Stop Sale that Yamaha has issued to it's dealers "out of an abundance of caution" and it's not even a Stop Use notice to end users. Not giving legal advice but they have a legal leg to stand on to deny you your property.
I fail to see how the dealer has any legal standing here.

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow… My boat was delivered on Friday, the same day this order was sent out. Guess I’m lucky my dealer did not see it before my boat hit the road.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
1681943671483.png