• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Bimini Trip ( Unofficial Thread Until Admin Puts Official One Up)

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is exactly why I don't think I'll ever get a boat that's got oversized load or anything wider than 8'6"
It was a trade-off. I wanted to go to the Bahamas, my wife insisted on a cabin cruiser with twin engines and a bathroom - non negotiable. She insisted on the biggest boat I could possibly tow, for safety reasons.

She’s a little paranoid. BTW she thinks all y’all are completely nuts... :D:D:D

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It was a trade-off. I wanted to go to the Bahamas, my wife insisted on a cabin cruiser with twin engines and a bathroom - non negotiable. She insisted on the biggest boat I could possibly tow, for safety reasons.

I mean, she's not wrong...
Or, as i like to say, i am not in my right mind. (Stroke last year killed off a fist sized section of my right side in my brain. Or so they told me)

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

Same here... I told my wife that I can only tow a beam of 8.5 feet and that means sticking to a single engine and not a twin. She relented and viola got the 270 Signature.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys, sorry I've been busy, are we there yet!?!?

My wife likes the garmin 742 series chart plotter... looks good just gotta find place to put the dang thing. (06 sx230).

How much longer!?!?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife likes the garmin 742 series chart plotter... looks good just gotta find place to put the dang thing. !?!?
overboard !!!

it kind of depends if this is a one time use or if you will be using while boating at your local lake.
if you use it for just one time maybe you can try something along those line ( different boat, but you get the point)
https://jetboaters.net/threads/chart-plotter-placement-on-newer-boats-with-connext-simrad-go7-installed.12273/#post-212312

@MrMoose also has a termporary mount too and his survided the 2017 crossing.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik we have family in Sarasota, planning a keys trip in next few years, bikini, wanna run some of the Tennessee river so the pre loaded maps and extra pack for bimini will get used.

I agree it's a little larger then I think we need, but aide wants something for bost who am I to complain.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Wisefam22 a 5 inch is plenty, I do not see the harm on having a bit bigger than what you need. Besides spending more money and using up a bit more energy from the batteries, I personally do not see the harm on having a bigger screen.
During the 2017 crossing my 3 backups "failed". The ipad will not turn on, the inreach explorer was to small and so have the VHF screen. During the storm ( and even during the entire trip) my 7inch Garmin was the only navigation tool that I was comfortable looking at. It is amazing how something that looks more than enough on land, becomes useless when you are being tossed around. It is highly unlikely that we will bring our boat on the 2019 crossing, but the next time HMS Artemis 553 makes a crossing we will most likely have another chart-plotter for the copilot. Unless I get something that I can use up my jetski, I will most likely get 7 or 9 inch.

Most people will say that having 2 plotter is an overkill let alone 2 seven inch ones. But I believe that our boats have no business crossing the stream and defiantly not with me at the helm. So anything that I can do to increase the chance of making it 57 miles east, I am going to do it.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Wisefam22 a 5 inch is plenty, I do not see the harm on having a bit bigger than what you need. Besides spending more money and using up a bit more energy from the batteries, I personally do not see the harm on having a bigger screen.
During the 2017 crossing my 3 backups "failed". The ipad will not turn on, the inreach explorer was to small and so have the VHF screen. During the storm ( and even during the entire trip) my 7inch Garmin was the only navigation tool that I was comfortable looking at. It is amazing how something that looks more than enough on land, becomes useless when you are being tossed around. It is highly unlikely that we will bring our boat on the 2019 crossing, but the next time HMS Artemis 553 makes a crossing we will most likely have another chart-plotter for the copilot. Unless I get something that I can use up my jetski, I will most likely get 7 or 9 inch.

Most people will say that having 2 plotter is an overkill let alone 2 seven inch ones. But I believe that our boats have no business crossing the stream and defiantly not with me at the helm. So anything that I can do to increase the chance of making it 57 miles east, I am going to do it.

@Betik You on a jet ski for 2019?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Amar Nanduri I am trying to talk Claire into it or even ask @Valerie to take the ski across, while we ride the ferry or another boat. But there are to many moving part right now. Things will get start to get clearer when the dates get announced , but for not the only certainty is that we cannot fork $6,000 plus further mods on the boat. We are trying to keep the old house and having 2 mortgages tent to complicate things.
I am aiming for 2 weeks on 2020 with dual plotters, dual VHFs, new impellers, a 3rd bilge, AIS, a tower, seadeck and the list goes on.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Yeah. That will be quite a challenge, maintaining 2 homes. With all the mods you are talking about I can see the costs going up. Do you think the ferry can ship the jet ski ? That will make more sense for you.
As for me I am actually planning for Abacos and maybe Berrie islands with @fromrio and @jayasaki138 . But like you said, there is a lot of time for 2019 trip and anything can happen.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I can always talk blasphemy in saying that you can upgrade to a chaparral signature instead of spending money on all those upgrades :D

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik i know we do not always agree but if @Valerie wont take your ski across I will do so for you gladly. I will even get my own flight out to go home just for the love of it let me know my friend.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can always talk blasphemy in saying that you can upgrade to a chaparral signature instead of spending money on all those upgrades :D
Blasphemy indeed LOL As matter of fact we are thinking about selling the boat, but the problem is that 2 year down the road we will be getting another one. So the idea is suck up the cost now instead of double the cost later.
Like you said though that boat is way more completed than the Yamahas and I am no position to add another layer of complications in my life. Mariage and kids are enough for now. And so is the 10 weeks old puppy who ended up on the ER for 2 days and came back home with a $1,500 bill. :mad:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik i know we do not always agree but if @Valerie wont take your ski across I will do so for you gladly. I will even get my own flight out to go home just for the love of it let me know my friend.
I am drawing a blank on what we disagree, but I tent to disagree with myself, so I am not surprised. Jokes aside, regardless of me having 2000+ posts, I know my place in the knowledge spectrum. To even be in a position to disagree with you a few other member on the forum is privilege on its own. I dont have to win, just the fact that I am playing it is victory on its own. It was just 2 years ago this month when I first heard the word Bimini and now I am out $60K. Speaking of that, that is actually your and Isaac's fault for the Exuma trip. Technically you owe me A LOT

I will definitely keep your offer in mind and off course if something like this were to happen you paying your own flight, it is not going to happen. That is just out the question. Though I am pretty sure if I tell my wife, she will say " is he putting fuel on the jetski, too?"

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Though I am pretty sure if I tell my wife, she will say " is he putting fuel on the jetski, too?"
Of course it will be full when you arrive. I just love the thought of taking a ski across again. Isaac and I are doing a return to exuma again this year but I still have thought about doing a mini trip to Bimini this summer as well. The Bimini trio will likely be in July but I will run your ski across when ever you like.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
hold on, "loving" the plans for yalls trip, not loving you trying to put fuel on the ski LOL. Just making sure you don't confuse me with Claire

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am beginning to see why this thread is always so big!
The crazy part is all the logistics going into it all and there isn't even dates, rates, or a place to stay yet!

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Blasphemy indeed LOL As matter of fact we are thinking about selling the boat, but the problem is that 2 year down the road we will be getting another one. So the idea is suck up the cost now instead of double the cost later.
Like you said though that boat is way more completed than the Yamahas and I am no position to add another layer of complications in my life. Mariage and kids are enough for now. And so is the 10 weeks old puppy who ended up on the ER for 2 days and came back home with a $1,500 bill. :mad:
Thinking of selling the boat ? Now that’s Blasphemy:D

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah. That will be quite a challenge, maintaining 2 homes. With all the mods you are talking about I can see the costs going up. Do you think the ferry can ship the jet ski ? That will make more sense for you.
As for me I am actually planning for Abacos and maybe Berrie islands with @fromrio and @jayasaki138 . But like you said, there is a lot of time for 2019 trip and anything can happen.
@Amar Nanduri if want to do this in 2020 I can see us joining you..... ;)

Attachments