• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Bimini Trip ( Unofficial Thread Until Admin Puts Official One Up)

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
FYI... Before my return crossing with an unknown engine durability issue I called tow boat us in ft Lauderdale... They said they have a 1000 foot tower they use for their vhf radio... They said many times they can talk to bimini or stleast near the island... Could be bs but that's what they said! That's a hell of a tower!
VHF band transmissions need both antennae to “see” each other with little obstruction. A 1000’ tower is sufficient to overcome the earth’s curvature over a distance of 39 miles. If the boat’s antenna is 10’ high that adds 4 miles.

However, line of sight is not the only factor. Radio wave propagation on VHF (FM/AM) is also heavily dependent on transmission power (unlike HF where LSB and USB bounces in the ionosphere requiring very little power; sometimes as little as 5W to reach Australia).
As many here have noticed, with a low power handheld you can receive many, but only few can receive you - in part due to lack of line-of-sight, but mostly due to lack of power. With 25W on VHF the max distance you can transmit is about 40 miles, give or take 15 depending on weather.
It works going to Bimini. But going to West End, about halfway out your VHF won’t be able to reach the mainland anymore.

dragonfire6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife and I will be on one of the trips in 2019 but will most likely be staying at a VRBO home with a dock instead of the Sands.

@Bruce I was watching, wishing and reading about the trips this year and it would be great to have a debrief thread that had a little more detailed information post-crossing from each captain. Specifically - dates of the crossing, number of previous trips to Bimini, solo or group crossing, boat year, model, added equipment, number of crew, extra gas on board, extra gas needed (if any), gas consumed FL to Bimini, gas consumed Bimini to FL, conditions/seas FL to Bimini, conditions/seas Bimini to FL, trip length/time FL to Bimini, trip length Bimini to FL, unit number at Bimini Sands, condition of the unit at Bimini Sands and comments or "If I knew then what I know now I would have..."

I, like many others, have read through hundreds of pages on the crossing threads as well as the Preparing for Bimini thread and would love to get more info and perspective from other members. I like hearing from the members that have made multiple crossings as well as the members that made their first crossing since I'll be in that category. It is a little difficult to find information from members post-trip and if they had a thread specifically for sharing their experience, I think it would help out many members that are also planning on making the crossing.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My wife and I will be on one of the trips in 2019 but will most likely be staying at a VRBO home with a dock instead of the Sands.

@Bruce I was watching, wishing and reading about the trips this year and it would be great to have a debrief thread that had a little more detailed information post-crossing from each captain. Specifically - dates of the crossing, number of previous trips to Bimini, solo or group crossing, boat year, model, added equipment, number of crew, extra gas on board, extra gas needed (if any), gas consumed FL to Bimini, gas consumed Bimini to FL, conditions/seas FL to Bimini, conditions/seas Bimini to FL, trip length/time FL to Bimini, trip length Bimini to FL, unit number at Bimini Sands, condition of the unit at Bimini Sands and comments or "If I knew then what I know now I would have..."

I, like many others, have read through hundreds of pages on the crossing threads as well as the Preparing for Bimini thread and would love to get more info and perspective from other members. I like hearing from the members that have made multiple crossings as well as the members that made their first crossing since I'll be in that category. It is a little difficult to find information from members post-trip and if they had a thread specifically for sharing their experience, I think it would help out many members that are also planning on making the crossing.
I wonder if there would be a better way to organize everyone's thoughts and stats as you say. Think of all the comments and all the info from all the threads, consolidated into a type of bimini database.
Also, would love to see all the vhf info into a separate thread in the electronics section.
Perhaps
Name:
Equipment:
Fuel used on crossing:
Words of wisdom:

Something along those lines?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@dragonfire6 I started a database for fuel consumption. However there have been less that 10 boats with input.
My opinion is that prior to crossing people are very involved but then once they see Bimini they tent to disengage from the forum and particular from the Bimini threads. Very few of the first timers from 2017 crossing are sticking around to provide feedback on a regular basis. The info that you ask most of them won’t enough capture or retain let alone try to log in a database.

As you are reading through you will notice the veterans and wtb veterans. My take is that you will be better off have with a small sample size with accurate and reliable information than a big sample with random stuff and loose ends.

There are 3 write ups that I would read if I were you.

Finally the attitude you are exhibiting is awesome. Most people just show up at Bahia mar and they are expecting to be taken at Bimini. Very few boats are prepared to make a single boat crossing if they had too.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I found that if you ask questions there are those of us that are always eager to answer.
Everyone's Crossing will be very different from each other. So what you can learn from previous trips is that expect the unexpected. This year both groups to cross had relatively smooth water. Just yesterday on Lake Michigan we were in some really rough water probably about three Footers and we had water coming over the bow on a few occasions. Well my kids laughed and I just told my wife hey it's a self bailing boat no worries; I can't imagine doing that for two or three or even five hours. So what I'm trying to say is you have to be prepared for rougher water than you expect for a duration longer than you anticipate but there is no cut-and-dry answers of what it will be like.
On a side note I found the tracking on my Navionics on my phone yesterday and looked up my trip back and I averaged 32 miles per hour. I'm pretty sure that I was doing less than that but perhaps it read a little quicker cuz I was Airborne most the time

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if there would be a better way to organize everyone's thoughts and stats as you say. Think of all the comments and all the info from all the threads, consolidated into a type of bimini database.
Also, would love to see all the vhf info into a separate thread in the electronics section.
Perhaps
Name:
Equipment:
Fuel used on crossing:
Words of wisdom:

Something along those lines?
"Hold my bourbon and watch this" dont count as words of wisdom

Omg8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I plan on doing this in 2019, sorry im a bit of a lurker on forums, i use Facebook much more. Feel free to add me, ryan kerr

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You risk two lives drifting for hours without fuel or sufficient comms gear. I feed my fingers to a small shark. It all makes good stories as long as everyone and their fingers survive. Unfortunately no rum or bourbon was involved in mine.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You risk two lives drifting for hours without fuel or sufficient comms gear. I feed my fingers to a small shark. It all makes good stories as long as everyone and their fingers survive. Unfortunately no rum or bourbon was involved in mine.
We call all just call it lessons learned. I showed everyone the importance of communication and extra fuel you showed everyone the importance of not touching wildlife.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I hate you people... I thought the only things I had left to buy was trim tabs and a secondary bilge.... now I'm thinking I need a new antenna!!!
Also, @Betik I complied your 3 part saga and emailed it over to a friend that wants to go next year (either with me or on his own boat) I can't wait to hear his feedback!!! lol

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JeffVans i know exactly how you feel LOL

I hope you do not scare you friend with my drama. I wish you had only shown him the 2018 videos and be like a “surprise “ this is 2019.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@JeffVans i know exactly how you feel LOL

I hope you do not scare you friend with my drama. I wish you had only shown him the 2018 videos and be like a “surprise “ this is 2019.
HA! No, I warned him its written as a discouragement, but like me he will read it more as a challenge! It sucks that I couldn't make it this year, but I'm not messing around for 2019... The planning has already begun!
On a side note, a question for everyone or most likely @Bruce will know, what is the youngest kid to have crossed?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On a side note, a question for everyone or most likely @Bruce will know, what is the youngest kid to have crossed?
He or she crossed in 2015 through very rough seas shortly before the mother was due.

I would say that 4 is pretty common. My kids would have been 3 (almost 4) and 7 on their first crossing.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
He or she crossed in 2015 through very rough seas shortly before the mother was due.

I would say that 4 is pretty common. My kids would have been 3 (almost 4) and 7 on their first crossing.
ok cool. That's the biggest part of the planning for me and part of the hold up this year is what to do with the baby (fly, ferry, etc...) She'll be almost 2 around the trip time next year, the others will be 5 and 9 so I'm not too worried about them... I have plenty of duct tape to hold them down for an odd year crossing! hahahaha

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
ok cool. That's the biggest part of the planning for me and part of the hold up this year is what to do with the baby (fly, ferry, etc...) She'll be almost 2 around the trip time next year, the others will be 5 and 9 so I'm not too worried about them... I have plenty of duct tape to hold them down for an odd year crossing! hahahaha
I definitely wouldn't put anyone in a position greater then a 1 to 1 ratio with young children their first time crossing. My daughter was 3.5 on her first crossing and my wife's anxiety was through the roof due to conditions she's never experienced. Throw in a couple scared and crying kids and you officially have a train wreck. Once you get to train wreck status the week will not be enjoyed like it should because crossing back will always be on their and your mind. Don't let a few $ of plane tickets cloud a decision as it could be money well spent. All the crossings this year were not normal and I wouldn't expect those conditions next year.

Last edited:

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I definitely wouldn't put anyone in a position greater then a 1 to 1 ratio with young children their first time crossing. My daughter was 3.5 on her first crossing and my wife's anxiety was through the roof due to conditions she's never experienced. Throw in a couple scared and crying kids and you officially have a train wreck. Once you get to train wreck status the week will not be enjoyed like it should because crossing back will always be on their and your mind. Don't let a few $ of plane tickets cloud a decision as it could be money well spent. All the crossing this year were not normal and I wouldn't expect those conditions next year.
Coming back from hilton head my kids got super scared on the lake due to the waves caused by the wind. They wont make the trip until my youngest is 5-6 (he is 1.5).