• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone convert their trailer bunks to rollers?? Would seem to solve the variable ramp angle….

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hey, anyone convert their trailer bunks to rollers??? Since its been 20 years since i had to put in/take out a boat (been boatless and renting), it seems to be a roller system would make it easier to load and unload, especially as it seems the ramp angles vary quite a bit in our area.

Is there any reason not to replace the bunks with rollers?

Thx

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I don’t trailer often. When I was researching boating options as a newbie, I was told you have less friction with rollers than bunks and have to be careful releasing winch strap at ramp. Especially on a slope. And long term trailer usage may lead to dips in the surface of fiberglass boat. In my area rollers are few in number.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t trailer often. When I was researching boating options as a newbie, I was told you have less friction with rollers than bunks and have to be careful releasing winch strap at ramp. Especially on a slope. And long term trailer usage may lead to dips in the surface of fiberglass boat. In my area rollers are few in number.
Same here. Rollers are a rarity to see around here.

@swatski got a fancy new boat that has a trailer with rollers that sits beside his AR240 with bunks. He had some great explanation posts somewhere. This post is the only one I can find easily though. Maybe he'll chime in with some details and insights.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would not want rollers on my trailer. It would make it a PITA to load and unload the boat in most situations.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Same here. Rollers are a rarity to see around here.

@swatski got a fancy new boat that has a trailer with rollers that sits beside his AR240 with bunks. He had some great explanation posts somewhere. This post is the only one I can find easily though. Maybe he'll chime in with some details and insights.
haha, so I just spent over an hour reading about the Parker!

I bumped his thread so maybe we can get some updates lol….

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I would not want rollers on my trailer. It would make it a PITA to load and unload the boat in most situations.
Hmmm, isnt it just the opposite? I thought the rollers are easier to load, unload…but the concern is pressure on the hull, and rolling off on the highway?

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Really miss my roller trailer. Never had a single problem in 9 years with mine. Never even had a roller crack, which can happen. Only people I talk with that don't like them, Never had one.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've heard rollers are not a great idea on a fiberglass boat, unless you can get them located right where the stringers are. If the rollers aren't where the stringers are, they can put a lot of stress (pressure points) on the fiberglass. An aluminum boat doesn't have that problem. I honestly can't recall any fiberglass boat I've owned that had rollers. They have all been aluminum. All my fiberglass boats have had bunks.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmm, isnt it just the opposite? I thought the rollers are easier to load, unload…but the concern is pressure on the hull, and rolling off on the highway?
I guess is what I should’ve said is I’m so used to bunks that’s for me rollers would not be the choice. Loading, I’m too used to running the boat up on the bunks and having it stay put until I winch it the rest of the way on. Offloading would be interesting on some of the steep ramps. The wife would have to get more involved that’s for sure.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Family first boat had rollers and they worked fine....until one roller broke and put a big gouge in the bottom of the boat (before I noticed the problem).

Also, you have to be MUCH more careful about when you loosen the straps on the bow and holding onto the handle when you do, as on a steep ramp the boat can begin rolling FAST.

I find bunks to work fine, and I'm used to gauging the depth to put the boat in based on the ramp angle - and I've used both super shallow and super steep (Harbor Towne is pretty steep!)

There is NO WAY I'd spend any money switching one to the other.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Empty a spray can of silicone spray in your bunks (while the boat is off the trailer) and for the next several uses it will seem like a roller trailer. And I warn you, don't release the boat until you are ready for it to slide off, because it just might.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Lol - follow some boating fail pages. You will never want rollers.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Empty a spray can of silicone spray in your bunks (while the boat is off the trailer) and for the next several uses it will seem like a roller trailer. And I warn you, don't release the boat until you are ready for it to slide off, because it just might.
Or Pledge...its cheaper.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

NeoBrew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Our family boat when I was young had as many rollers as my father could talk them into installing! We could roll the boat on with only the back of the trailer barely touching the water. (It was an aluminum boat.) We would also go on some wilderness expeditions and find ourselves launching/loading in some unimproved locations.

When I bought my FSH 210 used and it had a bunk trailer, I assumed at some point I would upgrade to rollers. In two years of ownership I've never had a problem loading the boat. In fact I've come to appreciate the friction so that once it's on it's stuck there.

The only way I would consider it is if you find yourself launching from locations where you can't get a reasonable amount of the trailer under water.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My very first boat - a Crownline had rollers. On a steep ramp, they can be tricky. I remember 1 time, I almost broke my wrist when the boat started rolling, and I tried stopping the crank.
I’ll never switch back.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just read this post and stumbled on this pic immediately after. Look at the trailer! Half rollers! 😂2021-Yamaha-275-YB-MC0042-6412385-R113452-20201109143406313.jpg