• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Deer and the Admiral

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, the Admiral has been taking care of her plants and the one on the shephards hook has been dying. This morning on the camera's I caught the culprits. Ate here entire plants that she works hard on maintaining.

Anyone had the same issue and what did you use as a deterrent? Fox Piss? Motion Activated Sprinkler? any suggestions would be appreciated.

Farny

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
.300 or maybe a .9mm

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.300 or maybe a .9mm
Unfortunately not around here. Could drop it with the crossbow, but only during hunting season, but not sure I can do that in this city.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Don't go shooting a gun in Royal Oak Mi, Lapeer maybe. This is what I do for my wife's flowers the deer like getting into. Its just a deterrent, but piss on or around the flowers. Been doing it for years not kidding. Its easy on the weekends to complete the task, beer and all. The weekdays ill go out at night and pee around the flowers, may skip a night from time to time. It does slow down the devastation. Never said i was the classiest guy in town 😎

Woodsy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Assuming it doesn’t kill the plants, I wonder if a puppy don’t bite sour spray would work?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My barber swears that hair clippings will keep the deer away.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve seen people make cages out of hardware cloth or chicken wire.

Cool video

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well told the oldest kid about peeing around the area, she laughed and said she will do it. She just peed in a cup and went out and spread it around. Kid fun...

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We've had the same issue with the deer around the lake house eating all the wife's plants. Supposedly, very strong smells and very strange unfamiliar smells help, but if/when they get used to it, they're back to eating your stuff. We put mothballs all around the base of the trees in the Hosta's, and they stayed away for at least a week. It's been 2 weeks since we've been back up, so I'll find out tomorrow if they've gotten used to the mothballs.

They do make a spray, but I have no idea how effective it is. I have also heard about the human pee thing. I used to use coyote pee to keep rabbits out of my mom's flower beds, and at the time, that crap was crazy expensive. Get the dog to piss around the area too.

REALLY hoping someone takes them out this season, as they're becoming a nuisance in the area, but all the wimminfolk just coo and "don't hurt the poor things", except for one sensible lady. If it weren't so dangerous, she'd be up for setting up punji pits in the area to get rid of the bastards! LOL

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have used bottled coyote piss, don't ask me how they got it in the bottle. You can get a dog and walk it around your perimeter. However dog piss can kill grass. I have seen the yellow patches in Spring time. There is no better feeling than relieving yourself out in your own yard, well there is but...So get out there and mark your boundary. You could make a sacrifice of Hosta to the hoards of deer. It's like candy for them. But plant them in your neighbors yard, lol, away from your stuff. You want to interupt their routine. A motion activated light and dog bark will scare them off for a while, but they will eventually realize there is no dog around. A pellet gun aimed at the backside worked on the neighbors dog taking a dump on our lawn first thing in the morning when I was a kid. Good Luck! Get out there and mark your territory. ;)

Edit: I can't get the wife to go pee out in the yard, she uses this... Bonide 32 oz. Repels-All Animal Repellent Ready-To-Use 238

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Your local hardware store should have either a liquid or pelletized form of deer away product. Or you’ll have to build some sort of cage around the stuff you don’t want eaten.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We feel your pain. Repels-All spray from Lowes does a pretty good job. If you use it early in the spring when the deer are establishing their grazing patterns, it seems like you don't have to reapply as often. If you start too late in the season, you have to put it back on after every rain.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We've had the same issue with the deer around the lake house eating all the wife's plants. Supposedly, very strong smells and very strange unfamiliar smells help, but if/when they get used to it, they're back to eating your stuff. We put mothballs all around the base of the trees in the Hosta's, and they stayed away for at least a week. It's been 2 weeks since we've been back up, so I'll find out tomorrow if they've gotten used to the mothballs.

They do make a spray, but I have no idea how effective it is. I have also heard about the human pee thing. I used to use coyote pee to keep rabbits out of my mom's flower beds, and at the time, that crap was crazy expensive. Get the dog to piss around the area too.

REALLY hoping someone takes them out this season, as they're becoming a nuisance in the area, but all the wimminfolk just coo and "don't hurt the poor things", except for one sensible lady. If it weren't so dangerous, she'd be up for setting up punji pits in the area to get rid of the bastards! LOL
Have the same cooing issue round here with the coyotes..they eat their cats and small dogs but they don’t want the coyotes shot… crazy. Saw a rather large mountain lion the other night on the way home… hope it eats the neighbors yappy dog.. heard a dog howling around 0330 this morning..

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We feel your pain. Repels-All spray from Lowes does a pretty good job. If you use it early in the spring when the deer are establishing their grazing patterns, it seems like you don't have to reapply as often. If you start too late in the season, you have to put it back on after every rain.

Look at them, standing in/eating the Hosta's.

CigarJeff68

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the same problem with my garden a few years back, and I found this product called Liquid Fence. It really works. It kinda smell like sh** when you first spray it, but that goes away quickly.

1659097067070.png

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Spray bottle
3/4 filled with water
5 or 6 cloves of crushed fresh garlic
One small bottle of peppermint oil (the candy making kind)

Shake well, leave out in the sun for a day or two. Spray directly on the plants after each rain.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the same problem with my garden a few years back, and I found this product called Liquid Fence. It really works. It kinda smell like sh** when you first spray it, but that goes away quickly.

View attachment 183898
^^^^ THIS^^^^
Been using it for years. Works like magic. Stinks like total ass till it dries but damn does it work.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So, the Admiral has been taking care of her plants and the one on the shephards hook has been dying. This morning on the camera's I caught the culprits. Ate here entire plants that she works hard on maintaining.

Anyone had the same issue and what did you use as a deterrent? Fox Piss? Motion Activated Sprinkler? any suggestions would be appreciated.

We have tons of deer..... we use motion activated sprinklers and they work great....except that we had to tell our guests to not use the "Front" front door (we have 2 front doors) otherwise they would get sprinkled too (we put up a warning sign).

We've tried every repellent out there....none worked. But the dogs liked the REALLY stinky fox urine....licked it off the leaves that they could....then come in with the WORST BAD BREATH EVER!!!! LOL