• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Destin Boat Sinking and Rescue Overloaded Boat

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That was tough to watch. I wonder how the boat sank.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Overloaded and perhaps they took a wave over the bow. Glad everyone survived but I do see a lot of overloaded boats in some serious chop around here. Just takes one good wave over the bow and a panic situation.

Everyone it appeared had a life preserver on which was definitely a very good thing that probably saved some lives.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Overloaded and perhaps they took a wave over the bow. Glad everyone survived but I do see a lot of overloaded boats in some serious chop around here. Just takes one good wave over the bow and a panic situation.

Everyone it appeared had a life preserver on which was definitely a very good thing that probably saved some lives.
Is that not an AR240? 9+3 is within the limit, and 3 kids they should for sure be under the weight limit.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is that not an AR240? 9+3 is within the limit, and 3 kids they should for sure be under the weight limit.
Not a Yamaha....not even sure it is a jet boat....looks like an I/O. Don't see any intakes....and do see what looks like a SKEG
1632844847227.png

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I watch a lot of the haulover inlet videos and it floors me seeing people with young kids in the bow, water is crazy rough and no life jackets. My wife gets so pissed seeing the small kids with no life jackets.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Good call - when it was up it looked like one with the tower, didn't see an outboard and being posted here. That is what I get for assuming.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not a Yamaha....not even sure it is a jet boat....looks like an I/O. Don't see any intakes....and do see what looks like a SKEG
View attachment 164420
I agree with Julian, that looks like a skeg to me as well. Here is a link to the unedited bodycam video.

Wonder if the boat might be a Chaparral 23 SSI with I/O?

Jim

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Found this short summary on-line, one year later.

From the article, "After he was safe ashore with his family, the boat owner told FWC officer Britton Corbin—who had just pulled his wife out of the Gulf of Mexico—how he got into the predicament in the first place. It was May 22, 2020, the Friday before Memorial Day. He’d taken the 21-foot inboard out the pass to have a look at the Gulf when a large wave broke over the bow, depositing some six inches of water in the boat. A second wave crashed over the bow and the operator turned back toward the bay. The third wave came over the stern, flooding the boat and killing the engine."

Jim

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Found this short summary on-line, one year later.

From the article, "After he was safe ashore with his family, the boat owner told FWC officer Britton Corbin—who had just pulled his wife out of the Gulf of Mexico—how he got into the predicament in the first place. It was May 22, 2020, the Friday before Memorial Day. He’d taken the 21-foot inboard out the pass to have a look at the Gulf when a large wave broke over the bow, depositing some six inches of water in the boat. A second wave crashed over the bow and the operator turned back toward the bay. The third wave came over the stern, flooding the boat and killing the engine."

Jim
Without knowing anything more than you posted there…. And I am not Monday morning quarter backing here.

This is why I want to add two more deck drains and a second larger bilge pump, like 1500gph/25gpm for just such an oh snap occasion. Again, I do not know anything more than what is printed, but anytime I am motoring all the hatches are firmly latched down (think Edmund Fitzgerald) to keep any rogue water from flowing right down into the bilge and not out the deck drain.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good call - when it was up it looked like one with the tower, didn't see an outboard and being posted here. That is what I get for assuming.
I made the same assumption based on the shape of the tower where it joined the hull on the starboard side.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Without knowing anything more than you posted there…. And I am not Monday morning quarter backing here.

This is why I want to add two more deck drains and a second larger bilge pump, like 1500gph/25gpm for just such an oh snap occasion. Again, I do not know anything more than what is printed, but anytime I am motoring all the hatches are firmly latched down (think Edmund Fitzgerald) to keep any rogue water from flowing right down into the bilge and not out the deck drain.
The deck drain is one of the only reasons I even considered taking my 19ft on the gulf this summer. I've taken a wave over the bow on an inland lake, as well as left the drain plug out more times than I care to admit. watching how long it takes to get a boat "re-emptied" after something like that scares the crap out of me. However, compare that to some of the "sub move" conversations and videos here, and you can tell how much easier it is to get the water back OUT of the boat with a deck drain.

If I was in the ocean on a regular basis, I would most definitely have a larger, more power bilge as well. Keeping the water on the top side is job #1, and being able to get it back out from the bottom side is a VERY close #2.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think you have to be "smarter" than the captain in this instance. As inexperienced as he apparently was, it was still a bonehead move to take the boat out in this weather, especially with so many people. I'm guessing that in this instance the deck may have drained into the bilge. To the captain's credit, everyone on board was wearing pfd's. Had this not been the case, there likely would have been several fatalities.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great video!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Even with a PFD that water could easily drown a seasoned swimmer.
Yep. I would never make the assumption you’re good in water in any situation.
People drown here in 85 degree water 25 feet off shore numerous times a year.
If you can freestyle swim and take a breath you’re an above average swimmer in the general population.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you can freestyle swim and take a breath you’re an above average swimmer in the general population.
100% agree

Had a husband of my wifes friend come on the boat with us a few summers ago. We got through the entire planning stage, got the boat on the water, and to the point where he is IN the water with a square throwable. It gets away from him and he starts flailing a bit so I swim over and get him settled and the float back to him.......THIS MOMENT......is when he decides to tell me he can't swim........We're in 60+ft of water that I can't see past my toes while floating, and I had no idea he was completely incapable of doing anything but "moving like he sees people on TV". I now ask every single person that gets on the boat if they can swim or not, and at what level. If I have a non-swimmer aboard, then life vests are on the deck within arms reach of myself or them, because I can't trust that they'll stay on top of the water on their own. Doubly so in a panic situation.

Just because you're on a boat doesn't mean you can swim, and just because you keep your head on top of the water in a pool doesn't mean you can swim.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
100% agree

Had a husband of my wifes friend come on the boat with us a few summers ago. We got through the entire planning stage, got the boat on the water, and to the point where he is IN the water with a square throwable. It gets away from him and he starts flailing a bit so I swim over and get him settled and the float back to him.......THIS MOMENT......is when he decides to tell me he can't swim........We're in 60+ft of water that I can't see past my toes while floating, and I had no idea he was completely incapable of doing anything but "moving like he sees people on TV". I now ask every single person that gets on the boat if they can swim or not, and at what level. If I have a non-swimmer aboard, then life vests are on the deck within arms reach of myself or them, because I can't trust that they'll stay on top of the water on their own. Doubly so in a panic situation.

Just because you're on a boat doesn't mean you can swim, and just because you keep your head on top of the water in a pool doesn't mean you can swim.
I do the same, people look at me weird when I ask if they can swim or not. I’ve had one person that said they could swim but not well so they got to wear a PFD for the day. The teenagers also wear their life vests when we are out. I also have a short safety talk each time I take people out.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with Julian, that looks like a skeg to me as well. Here is a link to the unedited bodycam video.

Wonder if the boat might be a Chaparral 23 SSI with I/O?

Jim
Yeah if you watch the unedited video, you can see the engine cover floating up and its a padded sun pad.