• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Goodbye Good Riddance 2021 Yamaha SX195

Coolbreeze704

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Trying to figure out, in starting this thread, what the purpose or expected outcome was.

Are you wanting someone to talk you off the ledge? Not going out the window (buying the boat) and getting on the ledge in the first place is/was on you.

Are you just wanting to vent? Seems like you knew you were going to get inundated with opposing opinions, so.....?

Are you trying to warn off others? Seems like you've given them very little that can't be addressed, but why didn't you consider this in the first place, for yourself?

As others have asked, what's the plan going forward, boatless or moving to something else?

Puzzling, to say the least.
1667670619579.png

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After two seasons with our Yamaha SX195 it was time to say goodbye.
And IMO good riddance.
Honestly the one and only good thing I can say about it was GREAT SWIM PLATFORM!
Sorry but absolutely, pathetic, stupid, ridiculous gas mileage.
Sick of lugging and dumping 5 Gallons and 25$+ into it every time we headed to the marina slip.
12 miles down the lake 12 miles back and kiss $50+ away.
Crap handling. Scary AF at idle speeds. Crap feedback at the wheel.
Had to add Cobra Jet steering enhancement because?
Engine too loud to talk over.
Anyway - everyone is entitled to their opinion.
And I can sum it up by answering that question they always ask during product reviews: "Would you recommend this product to a friend?"
Answer = No.
My 19ft is extremely maneuverable at slow speeds. Yeah its loud. Gas mileage is acceptable, but not great. A bowrider with an OB gets better mileage, but you lose the swim platform and they are A LOT more expensive than jet boats. I wanted a 24ft bowrider with OB and they are very expensive compared to Yamaha. The money saved with Yamaha pays the gas for at least the next 10 years.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am sorry you disliked the boat so much. I have had many boats and each one has it's plus and minus features. I learned how to handle mine without the Cobras and then when I did put them on it was even easier. I backed into our slip and that was always exciting but add a good wind and wow! HA I also drove a pontoon and had a Carolina skiff and it was even worse! I did put sound damping in ours to help with the sound but it was rarely a problem. Yes she did use gas but I didn't think it was excessive considering the power she had. Overall my whole family always thought that was the best boat we ever had and the only one we talk about when telling "stories".

bigsapper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We've got a '21 SX190. 2 seasons now; our first boat. We've enjoyed it, but the noise complaint is legit. If we had gotten the 195 I probably would've been happy with the performance and it would be a keeper. But between the noise and lack of performance, our next boat will likely be something else. Looking at a Chaparral OB.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
We've got a '21 SX190. 2 seasons now; our first boat. We've enjoyed it, but the noise complaint is legit. If we had gotten the 195 I probably would've been happy with the performance and it would be a keeper. But between the noise and lack of performance, our next boat will likely be something else. Looking at a Chaparral OB.
I would agree with you on the upgrade from the 190 to something a bit more powerful. Being a guy, bigger and more power is better, but all the reviews I did steered me towards the SX195 instead of the 190. I would assume my average cruising speed is your top end on the 190, then I have about another 10-15mph more on my top end. For an entry level boat with this many options and a modest price point, it’s a no brainer.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Now to piggy back on the original thread, we took our friend out with her fiancé last weekend who has only been in a ferry once in his life and got super sick. We went for a cruise and the look on his face was priceless, then I let him drive back from the restaurant and I swear his smile was as big as the joker from Batman. All he kept saying was “this is something we need to work towards”. Usually I get a fist bump from him, this time, he came in with the man hug lol.

tbg0519

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Way late to the thread but people who buy a jetboat need to focus on both root words, not just the latter (boat). At its heart, a jetboat still shares many traits of a jetski too. The engines are loud. Both because of the engine itself and also because the exhaust is coming out of the boat at a more shallow depth. I'd bet my 195S is quieter than a Nautique with its exhaust coming out the back of the boat rather than underwater. Also, jetboats turn higher rpms than I/O, inboards etc, which results in louder and higher pitched noise. Running it at that higher RPM is going to suck down the gas, especially with the SVHO engines needing premium fuel.

That being said, we don't burn through gas any worse then my buddy's tri-toon because I typically cruise at the lowest speed that will run on-plane for the conditions. If you think your jetboat is burning tons of fuel, try driving a Hatteras sport fisher. And if you want a boat that gets good fuel economy, then might I suggest a nice sloop or a Hobie-cat?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Way late to the thread but...And if you want a boat that gets good fuel economy, then might I suggest a nice sloop or a Hobie-cat?
I second a nice sloop, lol.

Edit: It's been a year or two, idk, since I topped off the diesel tank.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You know that I like the CC boats… I look at all of them. The best mpg I’ve seen out of one of those was pushing 5 mpg with 150 or 200 hp outboard and a standard prop, I think it was a Honda since they are the mpg kings, and if I remember correctly with a Sharrow prop, a conservative guesstimate put it at tad over 6 mpg at best cruise.

I keep looking at some of those CC boats and they are really nice, more fuel / range than my boat with some more storage perhaps but I always come back to my swim deck and how great that feature is, I use it all the time. If there was one with a little diesel inboard that was below deck with a swim step I might have to consider that.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One of the nice FSH upgrades for 2023 is the 75 gallon fuel tank on the 222. Doesn’t help the m.p.g.s, but at least the boat goes a more reasonable distance now.

Jim

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Scary AF at idle speeds? That may be a little drastic of a take🤔
I will say I can run circles around my outboard equipped fellow boaters.... In water depths they won't put there motor down and idle in...

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of the nice FSH upgrades for 2023 is the 75 gallon fuel tank on the 222. Doesn’t help the m.p.g.s, but at least the boat goes a more reasonable distance now.

Jim
I agree... I upgraded from 40 gallons in my AR210 to 70 gallons on the engine swap and having the extra tankage with reserve is great... based on my last 60 mile trip I got ~2.5 mpg ave

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I agree... I upgraded from 40 gallons in my AR210 to 70 gallons on the engine swap and having the extra tankage with reserve is great... based on my last 60 mile trip I got ~2.5 mpg ave
I think I average 2.3 to 2.5 mpg on the 195 at a consistent cruising speed. WOT, probably .5 mpg lol

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I average 2.3 to 2.5 mpg on the 195 at a consistent cruising speed. WOT, probably .5 mpg lol
LOL no kidding the MR-1s are 11.9 GPH each at WOT... the AR230 HO has a 50 gal tank and they rate cruising range at 2 hours the math is close enough for jazz...

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LOL no kidding the MR-1s are 11.9 GPH each at WOT... the AR230 HO has a 50 gal tank and they rate cruising range at 2 hours the math is close enough for jazz...
When I can make it 50+ miles to Bimini in extremely rough conditions and use maybe 30 gallons of fuel when some of the the newer 240 series boats couldn’t make it there on 50 gallons I’d say the MR-1 is great on fuel compared to others.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
If you’re going to complain about burning gas when running a boat, buy a canoe. I’m sure we all did our research before buying so we all knew what we were getting into.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I can make it 50+ miles to Bimini in extremely rough conditions and use maybe 30 gallons of fuel when some of the the newer 240 series boats couldn’t make it there on 50 gallons I’d say the MR-1 is great on fuel compared to others.
yes I agree the sweet cruise spot seems to be around 7000 RPM in the low 30's in my boat...

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you’re going to complain about burning gas when running a boat, buy a canoe. I’m sure we all did our research before buying so we all knew what we were getting into.
lol i cant quite figure out why my fuel consumption is directly related to my coors light consumption.. :winkingthumbsup"

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length