• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How in the he...? I sucked up a damn log!?

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we took the kids tubing on Monday and the port side engine started shaking and making a rattling sound. I know these boats can rattle pretty loud anyway and it was at the end of our day so I decided to slowly cruise back to our slip (thankfully I have a second engine). I've never sucked up anything, so I guess that's why I thought it was something else.

I started researching and the results I was getting were greasing the bearings, bad spark plug, rod bearing, etc.

So yesterday I took the cleanout ports out and started feeling around ... I felt a huge1.5" - 2" thick limb/log, maybe 2-3' long (I don't know how long it is yet until I pull it out of the water). I'm going to ask the marina if I can pull into a slip with a lift so I can check things out.

My question, is how in the world did this happen? I've seen the grates underneath and based on that I'm wondering if the suction was so strong, it cracked and broke?

Second, how in the world do I get this thing out? I've heard that throwing in reverse can loosen debris, but something like a long hard object will probably do more damage. The first idea that I had was to lift out of the water and use something like a Dremel with a gooseneck extension and a small 1" circular attachment and start making cuts so that I can break it apart.

Any thoughts, feedback, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2010 AR210

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Ohio river is full of this stuff. Especially in the spring time. Spring rains drain all the fallen debris from the tributaries and makes the river a mess to boat on for a jet in the spring/early summer.

The answer to getting it out is generally "any means necessary". I would start with breaking as much apart and off there as you can. Then the dremel idea if you have that equipment sitting around. If not, you can probably pull the pump if you can get it on a trailer, or get a tray under it on a lift in the water. Pulling the pump is pretty easy, and will let you clear the debris and inspect the impeller and wear ring for damage.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Agree with @2kwik4u. Also, I wouldn’t try putting it into reverse, it doesn’t reverse the engine, just drops the reverse bucket. And you might do damage by running the engine,

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Was the engine still able to run?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is why you have clean out ports....otherwise you are forced to take the boat out of the water....or do a dangerous underwater swim.

I keep hook blades on my boat at all times. Now....a 2 inch limb is going to take a while to whittle, might be easier to put it on a trailer and pull it out.

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Quad yes the engine can still run. I actually turned it on before I looked into cleanout ports (and wish I hadn't) at the time, it actually stopped knocking but there's no doubt what's stuck in there. I'm just baffled something this large passed through the grates.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So we took the kids tubing on Monday and the port side engine started shaking and making a rattling sound. I know these boats can rattle pretty loud anyway and it was at the end of our day so I decided to slowly cruise back to our slip (thankfully I have a second engine). I've never sucked up anything, so I guess that's why I thought it was something else.

I started researching and the results I was getting were greasing the bearings, bad spark plug, rod bearing, etc.

So yesterday I took the cleanout ports out and started feeling around ... I felt a huge1.5" - 2" thick limb/log, maybe 2-3' long (I don't know how long it is yet until I pull it out of the water). I'm going to ask the marina if I can pull into a slip with a lift so I can check things out.

My question, is how in the world did this happen? I've seen the grates underneath and based on that I'm wondering if the suction was so strong, it cracked and broke?

Second, how in the world do I get this thing out? I've heard that throwing in reverse can loosen debris, but something like a long hard object will probably do more damage. The first idea that I had was to lift out of the water and use something like a Dremel with a gooseneck extension and a small 1" circular attachment and start making cuts so that I can break it apart.

Any thoughts, feedback, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2010 AR210
Since you shut down the motor when you heard this begin there shouldn’t be any damage.

im assuming you tried to free it by hand to no avail… Get it on a lift or trailer, somewhere stable where you can lay on your back and reach up to get at the log… hopefully you’ll be able to get the log out and then use a strong light to check it over. @2kwik4u suggestion to pull the pump may be required if you are unable to clear the log, several posts on here about pump R&R.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2010 AR210
My concern is what were the bearings they are talking about greasing?? There's a lot of info out there but when you grease the fitting in the engine bay your not actually greasing the bearing, your keeping the seal lubricated and from drying out.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Quad yes the engine can still run. I actually turned it on before I looked into cleanout ports (and wish I hadn't) at the time, it actually stopped knocking but there's no doubt what's stuck in there. I'm just baffled something this large passed through the grates.
Interesting. I wonder if an intake grate got cracked/broken?

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Babin Farms I know that's not what it is, but I appreciate the advice I was just referencing what I was finding. I really hope I didn't damage the blades or shaft. That would be a horrible way to start the summer :(

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Quad I don't see any other way this thing made it in there. I ran down a checklist before dropping it off at the marina and besides a few chipped paint spots, the grate was in good shape.

Has anyone else seen these break from pressure? I've read it before on here and obviously if there were a better way for Yamaha engineers to design it, I'm sure they would, but I wish the "openings or gateways" were smaller.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hopefully all is well. If it got in there from the intake grate you should be able to get it out but I would still do a thorough inspection of the blades for damage. You should be able to see them from under the boat and if you put the throttles forward you should be able to check them from the nozzles.

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll make sure to snap some photos. If I didn't have to work and it wasn't raining, I'd be there right now! 😄

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Attach a picture when you can. Pull the pump, like other have said.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I’d probably get it on a trailer and pull the pump. It’s not hard and is the best way to check everything for peace of mind. We’ve all sucked up random junk that surprised us. Even a popsicle stick can make it seem like catastrophic damage.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I always put a glove on for the initial inspection, dont want to get stuck with a fish hook or grab a condom.😬

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the club !

After reading your scenario I wouldn't expect any damage,

Maybe you have a broken tine on the intake grate,

all that other stuff about bearings, blades I would only be in 1% chance of happening, if that,

I'd get it on the trailer, a quick look to see if can easily be pulled out from underneath, if not pull the impeller/shaft to give you plenty of room and maybe it will come out that way or you'll have a better view to cut,

since you went in on one engine,
1.did you leave the other engine in idle ?
2. was the other engine off with the throttle handle in full forward to prevent water being pushed into the cooling inlet?

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottintexas Yes on engine throttle, yes I left on as I didn't know something was stuck at the time... I'm assuming these are things I should do. I didn't even think about leaving gate open as I move forward!

I'm not going to lie ... I'm a little nervous about pulling it on the trailer with; one engine only + controlling it with a current (on the Ohio River). That's why I was leaning towards pulling into a slip with a lift.