• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I have officially resigned.....retirement here I come!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congratulations to you on your decision. You have nice goals, plans for the future. Just shy of 62, I have been wondering when to punch out. But when you work on a farm, self employed, your body and mind will let you know. I can still do my work, albeit the 14hr work days are over.
We were actively talking about buying property in Punta Gorda before IAN. Back burner for now. Good luck to you.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congratulations to you on your decision. You have nice goals, plans for the future. Just shy of 62, I have been wondering when to punch out. But when you work on a farm, self employed, your body and mind will let you know. I can still do my work, albeit the 14hr work days are over.
We were actively talking about buying property in Punta Gorda before IAN. Back burner for now. Good luck to you.
Yeah, being self employed is a whole different ball game!

I'll bet there will be lots of empty lots for sale soon in Florida! Anyone here volunteer for Team Rubicon? I am seriously considering joining them....a high school friend of mine does and has for 7 years....says they do great things (I saw them in the background on ABC World news coverage of the Hurricane relied).

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian , I was about to Al’s how your first week of retirement went. Now
That I’m caught up I will ask again next week.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah, being self employed is a whole different ball game!

I'll bet there will be lots of empty lots for sale soon in Florida! Anyone here volunteer for Team Rubicon? I am seriously considering joining them....a high school friend of mine does and has for 7 years....says they do great things (I saw them in the background on ABC World news coverage of the Hurricane relied).
Never heard of them before, but plan on looking into it now. thanks for the suggestion!

MajorBummer210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not silly at all! Start putting away dough now so you’ll have plenty in 41 years, BUT, live life along the way!
Ditto to that. Best time to invest is in a larger downswing (correction?) like this one. Will compound and compound to help shave some time off that 41 years.

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Just because I'm nosey.....what line of work were you in?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just because I'm nosey.....what line of work were you in?
I began my career at WGN-TV, then Lockheed Martin, GE, McKesson, Allscripts, and lastly (just 5 months) Constellation Software (Aka Harris Computer, AKA Altera) - the division of Allscripts I worked for was bought by them and the new company leadership is less than ideal. Line of business for most of my career....Healthcare IT (software development leadership)

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
McKesson?? Ouch. Not sure I’d admit I worked for them.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
McKesson?? Ouch. Not sure I’d admit I worked for them.
I didn't work for the drug dealer division! LOL

Funnily enough, one of the things we did create in our division was an opioid registry (fed regulation). So while one part of the company was dealing drugs, the other was trying to figure out how to control drug distribution and abuse! Got them on both ends!

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi @Julian
I still stalk the site every now and then and came across this thread, congratulations on your retirement.
I also see we’re of the same age, 1965 was a good vintage!
I retired last year too and the old saying certainly seems to be true, how did I find the time to work, however, we now have 4 grandchildren under the age of 3 o_O .
Good to see your ok and I wish you good health and all the best for you and your families future :thumbsup:.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Congratulations Julian! I retired last year and I will tell you this. You will be much more busy now. All the things you have wanted to get done, or have been procrastinating on will be staring you in the face. And you're going to spend a lot more $$$. I'm ready to go back to work! 😂

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I retired last year too and the old saying certainly seems to be true, how did I find the time to work
Yeah.....I'm living this now! My "Honey Do" list is growing every day! That wallpaper we said we'd remove when we moved into this house 13 years ago is now staring at me every morning! And Like you....I have a grandchild on the way due Jan 5th! :oops:

Any suggestions on how to make a teenager understand money (short of kicking her out)?

1667485313264.png

Now that I'm retired I'm looking forward to when these kids move out, yet at the same time don't want them too and they'll simply be somewhere else spending my money faster!!!! Ugh.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Julian I think you hit on a trend I am experiencing and hearing others experience. The current teen population has become increasingly dependent and it is very difficult to wean them. Covid plays a part but cellphones and social media do to. Your teen spending comments touched a nerve for me. Sorry for the thread derail and congratulations again on your retirement.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah.....I'm living this now! My "Honey Do" list is growing every day! That wallpaper we said we'd remove when we moved into this house 13 years ago is now staring at me every morning! And Like you....I have a grandchild on the way due Jan 5th! :oops:

Any suggestions on how to make a teenager understand money (short of kicking her out)?

View attachment 190511

Now that I'm retired I'm looking forward to when these kids move out, yet at the same time don't want them too and they'll simply be somewhere else spending my money faster!!!! Ugh.
When our son was pre-teen, he asked if he could have an allowance. We sat down and went through all of his expenses...school lunch, birthday party gifts, games for the Gameboy, college savings investment (1/3 of every penny he got, from ANY source), etc. It was a very comprehensive list, and added up to a lot of money for an 8 or 9 year old. But we all agreed to it, and then he had to budget, save, and pay for literally everything he did that wasn't a family-sponsored event. Did the same thing when my daughter was old enough. And now in their late 20's, they both save and budget like champs. There were times I would step in and pay for something just because I wanted to, but they managed 95% of their spending.

And the allowance was never tied to chores. Chores were the contribution everyone made as part of the family.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When our son was pre-teen, he asked if he could have an allowance. We sat down and went through all of his expenses...school lunch, birthday party gifts, games for the Gameboy, college savings investment (1/3 of every penny he got, from ANY source), etc. It was a very comprehensive list, and added up to a lot of money for an 8 or 9 year old. But we all agreed to it, and then he had to budget, save, and pay for literally everything he did that wasn't a family-sponsored event. Did the same thing when my daughter was old enough. And now in their late 20's, they both save and budget like champs. There were times I would step in and pay for something just because I wanted to, but they managed 95% of their spending.

And the allowance was never tied to chores. Chores were the contribution everyone made as part of the family.
Two of my three kids (the younger two) have bought into the idea of budgeting and scarcity and are excellent savers. My oldest never subscribed to that and is going to be difficult to wean.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

View attachment 190511

No kids yet so can't help but I would think a lack of money helps. When you want something but you (or family) cant afford it - you find a way to afford it (or you just sit on your ass and complain/day dream lol) Then you learn a lesson when you blow all your hard-earned money on something that you don't care about a week later. We were lower-middle class growing up so not a lot of money for things. I found ways to save and make money. I quickly learned that everyone has some sort of assets or skills to earn income.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You are 11 months in on your retirement… how’s it going?