• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speedometer Wiring ID?

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hey all, I've replaced the OEM analog speedo on our 2016 212x with a GPS based digital unit. There's 3 wires coming from it, Orange (J7), black (Gnd), and yellow. Can anyone tell me what the J7 orange wire, and yellow wire are for? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is the wiring color code. Looks like an accessory feed and a negative/ground.

20220104_171806.jpg

And a little more detail.

20220104_171519.jpg

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks for the chart. I appreciate it! This will help... Is this an industry standard?

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
The Yellow wire says "Gauge Data"... What is that for? Does that need a feedback to keep an alarm from popping up on the diagnostics?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It probably receives the pulses from your water wheel under the boat.. should be interesting to see how the gauge interprets the signals from the water wheel and translates that into the output on the screen.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Yellow wire says "Gauge Data"... What is that for? Does that need a feedback to keep an alarm from popping up on the diagnostics?
I believe that to mean the wire from what ever speed transducer, stern mounted or GPS sending information to the display.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I believe that to mean the wire from what ever speed transducer, stern mounted or GPS sending information to the display.
That's exactly what it is... my original thought was (overthinking) that this was some kind of data feedback from the speedo, not to it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's exactly what it is... my original thought was (overthinking) that this was some kind of data feedback from the speedo, not to it.
So based on those color charts you have 2 grounds??? Did you determine that one is positive and the other negative and use those on the new GPS Guage? Juat want to be sure we capture your end result so someone attempting this can replicate it. Can you also tell us what gauge you bought and post install photos?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So based on those color charts you have 2 grounds??? Did you determine that one is positive and the other negative and use those on the new GPS Guage? Juat want to be sure we capture your end result so someone attempting this can replicate it. Can you also tell us what gauge you bought and post install photos?
I see the orange feed, the black ground and a yellow wire with a green mark near the top. Could be yellow w/ green stripe/marking, which is unassigned on the code chart.

20220109_171351.jpg

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I see the orange feed, the black ground and a yellow wire with a green mark near the top. Could be yellow w/ green stripe/marking, which is unassigned on the code chart.

View attachment 169472
I have identified the Orange as the power wire, Black is ground, the Yellow is the "GA DATA" which is the signal wire going to the OEM speedometer.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
So based on those color charts you have 2 grounds??? Did you determine that one is positive and the other negative and use those on the new GPS Gauge? Just want to be sure we capture your end result so someone attempting this can replicate it. Can you also tell us what gauge you bought and post install photos?
The color chart is incorrect to a certain point. Yamaha goes by the standard to a point, then strays for things like this. That yellow wire is actually the signal wire to the speedometer to give the pulse to the gauge for the speed reference.
I bought this gauge from Amazon.. It has an antenna, which I will mount somewhere discrete, a black, and a red wire. I tapped the orange hot wire to the red of the gauge, and the black wires to each other. I'm also in the middle of swapping all the rocker switches for illuminated switches that glow blue when off, and light the icon when activated. Here is a link to the gauge, and a pic of my dash panel. I'll reinstall it and test its operation tomorrow. Cant test the speed, but I want to at least see it power up.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Gauge pic

Attachments

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Don't trust that wire chart as gospel!!! Yamaha looks like they do what they want.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The yellow wire has a green mark on it. It will repeat. That unassigned wire on the chart is what they chose to use as speedometer sending wire. They labeled it that way. It is not a yellow wire as assigned per the chart

Last edited:

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
The yellow wire has a green mark on it. It will repeat. That unassigned wire on the chart is what they chose to use as speedometer sending wire. They labeled it that way. It is not a yellow wire as assigned per the chart
What do you mean "it will repeat"?