• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX210 (2021) bilge pump location

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi community

Is this the bilge pump?

If so... I'm really confused. Why is it in the engine compartment and not in the bilge?? :oops:

IMG_20210531_135941.jpg

Thanks!
Gonzo

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
but WHY?? then it's not a bilge pump, it's an engine compartment pump. o_O

So then how is it supposed to remove water from the bilge?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
but WHY?? then it's not a bilge pump, it's an engine compartment pump. o_O

So then how is it supposed to remove water from the bilge?
It sits in the keel notch which run to the rear bilge areas so its all connected. Tt takes about 5 galons before the automatic on the pump kicks on and pumps out all but a gallon or 2.

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t fully understand the drain routing either. There is a notch a few inches high where I drew that line, creating a compartment where there are two drain plugs…I understand one of them comes from the ski locker, the other goes to the main drain at the keel…

59553488-2F61-4386-8142-46FDDD6EF56B.jpeg

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
:) The drain routing was going to be my next question. It's also not clear to me.
I'm gonna check for that notch tomorrow... but are you saying that the drain from the ski locker goes into the engine compartment? I would have thought it goes directly to the bilge and to the main drain plug , without getting water in the engine compartment ... :rolleyes:

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If that’s correct, and if the drain plug closed (3) and the boat is taking on water, there would need to be enough of it accumulating for the level to reach the bilge pump?
I guess so ... if the bilge pump is actually on the engine compartment.
This is what I wanted to understand in the first place... let's see if somebody can explain more...

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There’s a cutout in the floor of the engine compartment and you can see the actual hull below it, the bilge pump is mounted in there.

The top drain plug that goes directly into the front of the engine compartment is from the fuel tank compartment. I have never understood the purpose of the bottom plug in the front of the engine compartment because the much larger hole the bilge pump is in is just a couple feet away and water will easily flow in there.

The ski locker does drain into the bilge and under the fuel tank compartment.

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you !!!! Finally I understand. I will actually go out on the boat this afternoon , and I will try to take a better look where the pump is to see that cutout!
Thanks again!

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There’s a cutout in the floor of the engine compartment and you can see the actual hull below it, the bilge pump is mounted in there.

The top drain plug that goes directly into the front of the engine compartment is from the fuel tank compartment. I have never understood the purpose of the bottom plug in the front of the engine compartment because the much larger hole the bilge pump is in is just a couple feet away and water will easily flow in there.

The ski locker does drain into the bilge and under the fuel tank compartment.
Hi again,
Based on this, I did the following sketch. What do you think? Let's see if I got it right!

IMG_20220629_220550.jpg

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi again,
Based on this, I did the following sketch. What do you think? Let's see if I got it right!

View attachment 181657
Question: where does the bilge pump direct water to? From the engine to the bilge? If so, how is the water evacuated from the bilge, other than through the main drain plug? Obviously there must be another exit point for when the boat is in the water and the drain plug cannot be opened…

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Question: where does the bilge pump direct water to? From the engine to the bilge? If so, how is the water evacuated from the bilge, other than through the main drain plug? Obviously there must be another exit point for when the boat is in the water and the drain plug cannot be opened…
Bilge pump pumps the water from the engine compartment (connected to the bilge) out the starboard through hull aft of the helm.

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a hose from the bilge pump to the hull, starboard side. Right next to the two pilot cooling outlets (7) , you can find the bilge pump outlet (8)

1656741361808.png

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In otherwords, the bilge is allowed to fill up with water completely until it makes contact with the pump, and the pump works to prevent the engine compartment from flooding. The bilge (still full), is then emptied through the main drain plug once the boat is out of the water?
In that case a boat that’s always in the water will always have a bilge that is full?
D998CA91-DD10-4CEA-87B1-C7FAFCDE8284.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In otherwords, the bilge is allowed to fill up with water completely until it makes contact with the pump, and the pump works to prevent the engine compartment from flooding. The bilge (still full), is then emptied through the main drain plug once the boat is out of the water?
In that case a boat that’s always in the water will always have a bilge that is full?
View attachment 181823
Once the water gets high enough the auto part of the bilge pump will activate as others have stated, when the pump shuts off a couple of gallons remain in the bilge. It’s the design of boats. Most boats have water come out of the bilge at the end of the day. My friend who has many many years in the marine industry thought I was special at trying to have a dry bilge, in his words, “that’s why you have a bilge pump”.

You are now getting initiated into the leak chasing adventure! I just finished said adventure and have zero water coming out of my bilge at the end of the day… There are many many threads on this subject, and @Julian has a special section in the faq section regarding this. In your style of boat the anchor locker drain “can“ be a source of water in the bilge. Here’s a great thread on the subject…. https://jetboaters.net/threads/replaced-my-anchor-locker-drain-fitting-due-to-leaks.32891/

If your bilge pump is not running / cycling after a full day on the water there isn’t much to worry about. There are plenty of folks on here who’s bilge pump runs a couple of times a day.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The bilge is right next to the engine compartment. It takes very little water before the pump kicks in. The pump is put there to make it easy for you to perform annual or emergency maintenance. You should clean the screen on the pump annually, and test its operation.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The bilge is right next to the engine compartment. It takes very little water before the pump kicks in. The pump is put there to make it easy for you to perform annual or emergency maintenance. You should clean the screen on the pump annually, and test its operation.
Like!!!!!

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In otherwords, the bilge is allowed to fill up with water completely until it makes contact with the pump, and the pump works to prevent the engine compartment from flooding.
Yes, but the space between the engine compartment and the bilge is really very slim.

The bilge (still full), is then emptied through the main drain plug once the boat is out of the water?
Well... that would happen if you have a leak that lets water in. But that should not be the normal case. For example, in my case the bilge pump never kicks in, and the engine compartment and bilge area that can be seen under the pump are always dry.
When I remove the plug when I take the boat out of the water, there's very little water coming out. To be clear, some water does get in from somewhere, but never nowhere enough to fill the bilge and start the pump.

Last edited: