• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The official "What did you do to your jet boat today" thread.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I always thought you wanted a stippled surface to absorb the sound as a smoother one will deflect it. If you have a 5 and below near you They sell inexpensive yoga mats that are in different colors the surface is not smooth and it is soft glues easily with contact cement and can also be wrapped around the water boxes as well as cover the air cleaner box surface , air intake also emits a lot of sound , years ago we took the element off the air filter to make a engine sound real loud and bad. A search shows numerous on line suppliers selling them under 5 dollars each just a suggestion
1679318858679.png

Tex72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always thought you wanted a stippled surface to absorb the sound as a smoother one will deflect it. If you have a 5 and below near you They sell inexpensive yoga mats that are in different colors the surface is not smooth and it is soft glues easily with contact cement and can also be wrapped around the water boxes as well as cover the air cleaner box surface , air intake also emits a lot of sound , years ago we took the element off the air filter to make a engine sound real loud and bad. A search shows numerous on line suppliers selling them under 5 dollars each just a suggestion
View attachment 196059
Yeah, I got the idea off of some YouTube videos & Facebook posts. Some people have used similar products, and claimed success.

if I can take it out next weekend, I’m going to give it a run and see how it works out. If it’s not so great, I’ll plan on adding some CCF egg crate foam, and be done with it.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I went to go do the preseason engine maintenance yesterday; opened the engine hatch up and was met with a bunch of the sound deadening had turned to dust and some of it had fallen down into the engine compartment...ugh. I did a quick cleanup of the cover and proceeded to start the engine maintenance (but now I have another project to completely clean the cover and find new sound deadening material).

I always begin by checking the oil level in both motors before I fire them up, just a habit that I have. Starboard motor showed just below the full line, exactly where it was when we put the boat in the driveway four months ago (engines have not been run in this period of time). However the port motor showed no oil on the dipstick, I freaked out as both of them have always shown the same level. I did a thorough inspection around and under the motor for any oil leaks etc. but didn't find a thing. I decided to add oil to the motor half a quart at a time to see if the level would come up without creating a mess. In all, it took two quarts of oil to bring it up to just below full.

I cranked over the starboard motor and it fired within 5 seconds, I let it idle for about ten seconds while I looked around for anything obvious leaking and listened to the motor run...all good, shut if off and checked the oil level - same as before.

I cranked over the port motor and it fired within 2 seconds, I let it idle for about ten seconds while I looked around for anything obvious leaking and listened to the motor run...all good, shut if off and checked the oil level - almost to the top of the dipstick! So, obviously the oil that was in the catch can had leaked down into the crankcase of the motor from having sat too long? Has anyone else experienced this? Do I have a clearance issue with the pressure side of the dry sump pump that is allowing it to leak by? Or a check valve that is leaking? It always remained the same level during the last boating season but we were going out 4-5 times a week so it wasn't sitting nearly as long.

I pumped out the excess oil and pulled the air box lid off to see that there wasn't oil that had been slung up into the airbox - all good there. Put both motors on the garden hose (individually) and ran them for a few minutes each to check for leaks and everything seemed normal; oil levels were right and not creating milky oil.

It is now time to replace the plugs, get the oil hot and change the oil and filters. I hope that I don't find an empty catch can again on the port motor.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Tex72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It helped with my FSH but I went all the way to to bottom of the bilge on sides and front of engine compartment. I also put everywhere I could reach in rear clean out compartment too.
How much of a difference?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How much of a difference?
Im able to have conversation with my wife at full throttle now. I put oem foam back under engine hatch too over kilmat too however

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, I got the idea off of some YouTube videos & Facebook posts. Some people have used similar products, and claimed success.

if I can take it out next weekend, I’m going to give it a run and see how it works out. If it’s not so great, I’ll plan on adding some CCF egg crate foam, and be done with it.
Please post an update after you try it out.

Tex72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always begin by checking the oil level in both motors before I fire them up, just a habit that I have. Starboard motor showed just below the full line, exactly where it was when we put the boat in the driveway four months ago (engines have not been run in this period of time). However the port motor showed no oil on the dipstick, I freaked out as both of them have always shown the same level. I did a thorough inspection around and under the motor for any oil leaks etc. but didn't find a thing. I decided to add oil to the motor half a quart at a time to see if the level would come up without creating a mess. In all, it took two quarts of oil to bring it up to just below full.

I cranked over the starboard motor and it fired within 5 seconds, I let it idle for about ten seconds while I looked around for anything obvious leaking and listened to the motor run...all good, shut if off and checked the oil level - same as before.

I cranked over the port motor and it fired within 2 seconds, I let it idle for about ten seconds while I looked around for anything obvious leaking and listened to the motor run...all good, shut if off and checked the oil level - almost to the top of the dipstick! So, obviously the oil that was in the catch can had leaked down into the crankcase of the motor from having sat too long? Has anyone else experienced this? Do I have a clearance issue with the pressure side of the dry sump pump that is allowing it to leak by? Or a check valve that is leaking? It always remained the same level during the last boating season but we were going out 4-5 times a week so it wasn't sitting nearly as long.

I pumped out the excess oil and pulled the air box lid off to see that there wasn't oil that had been slung up into the airbox - all good there. Put both motors on the garden hose (individually) and ran them for a few minutes each to check for leaks and everything seemed normal; oil levels were right and not creating milky oil.
I want to say for your year that the oil needs to be checked with the engine warm. And something about running it circulates the oil to where it needs to be to measure it....

See https://jetboaters.net/threads/checking-oil-level.1284/ , for example. I don't have that year, so probably others can elaborate further... Or you can start a new thread for it to get a clearer answer.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
F0360DAD-A1E9-4C57-AADC-CA9BD2B3B68C.jpegAdded a power inverter (mostly for blowing up floats). We’ll see how long this house battery lasts before I have to buy a new one… or maybe add another. All items I had laying around the garage including the inverter I pulled out of an old car a few years back. Once she dies I’ll upgrade to a marine one. Only thing I was missing for the install that I didn’t have was a fuse holder. Amazon primed it and it should be here tomorrow. This is the second easiest install I’ve done next to the battery charger.

Possum

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 196257Added a power inverter (mostly for blowing up floats). We’ll see how long this house battery lasts before I have to buy a new one… or maybe add another. All items I had laying around the garage including the inverter I pulled out of an old car a few years back. Once she dies I’ll upgrade to a marine one. Only thing I was missing for the install that I didn’t have was a fuse holder. Amazon primed it and it should be here tomorrow. This is the second easiest install I’ve done next to the battery charger.
Looks good. My house battery died (size 24M) so I picked up two size 27 batteries to replace it, and got some battery covers just like those you have too. I don't like the terminals exposed where people can get into so easily. My third battery is going to be mounted under the starboard helm, with all the amps. I got a breaker to put between the batteries to make sure I don't pull too many amps on the 4 GA wire. I'd put it with the other two, but worried about weight distribution.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was a bad boy and left Toothless uncovered and unused all fall and winter. Spent the last two days scrubbing and giving her some love.

PXL_20230323_174215991.MP.jpgPXL_20230324_202535559~2.jpgPXL_20230323_174226509.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20230324_191413099.PORTRAIT~2.jpgPXL_20230323_174358002.MP~2.jpg

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
installed my new riva air filters... now im gonna drive it like I stole it.... 🚤

Possum

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yesterday was fairly productive.

• Changed the trailer tires.
  • Moved the spare tire mount to the starboard side.
  • Removed the old registration numbers and put the new ones on.
  • Painted the horn because it was yellow.
  • Greased hub bearings
  • Tried to paint the yellow faded bow light but cracked the lens while trying to figure out how to get to the screw underneath.

Still got a lot to do before summer....

• Get new hub covers, two have holes caused by damage that's letting water in and trapping it
  • Replace scupper valve
  • Check and adjust trailer wheel alignment
  • Polish the keel from getting beached
  • Reseal jet pump housings, starboard is pretty bad for a 2019
  • Install new batteries and add a 2nd house battery
  • Install black GPS cover
  • Change oil
  • Get a new bow nav light
  • Organize all the storage areas
  • Finish putting together the tool kit
  • Rewire amps (looks like a rats nest down there)
  • Tighten up several handles and latches
  • Detail it
  • Put on engine bay door seals for more noise control
  • Install a few new sea dek mats I have

And there's a lot I want to do...
  • Change or remove the green/yellow graphics
  • Add more cabin lighting
  • Underwater lighting
  • Tower lighting
  • Repaint tower

C9D1BCB3-F11B-4FDD-BDB6-ED46F3190F97.jpeg

Tires were really bad. No more bias ply. All radial now
DBA4173D-922A-4B3A-9F71-759A7013EA1E.jpeg

1D44503B-4070-4D38-9EE0-412E12F828C4.jpeg

73B6F3F7-C03C-402B-9DFE-17D8CDC035D9.jpeg

Last edited:

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
View attachment 196257Added a power inverter (mostly for blowing up floats). We’ll see how long this house battery lasts before I have to buy a new one… or maybe add another. All items I had laying around the garage including the inverter I pulled out of an old car a few years back. Once she dies I’ll upgrade to a marine one. Only thing I was missing for the install that I didn’t have was a fuse holder. Amazon primed it and it should be here tomorrow. This is the second easiest install I’ve done next to the battery charger.
Turns out that power inverter was too old and literally blew up 10 seconds after turning it on. So didn’t get any use out of it. Out with the old in with the new. BF28AEAC-E088-413E-9396-D3CC6B730480.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
installed my new riva air filters... now im gonna drive it like I stole it.... 🚤
Did you ever get the new fuel pressure regs installed?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Closed up the clean out tray yesterday, but ran out of blue tape to mask off the area prior to running a bead of silicone sealer around it.

0371F4EA-3A14-46D3-B9CB-10DAC9B17AF1.jpeg

431A85B5-F584-4EFE-AB52-B5807B5E4125.jpeg

Checked the four pumps back there for operation before closing it up. I had run some new plumbing for a new and much larger intake strainer for the raw water wash down system, and located it in the engine bay. Time will tell if that finer micronic screen will be too fine in everyday use, you can see the original one that came with the electric pump is a lot more open.

509FB30A-79C2-4C9C-A329-AE8799D36A63.jpeg

1330B54A-9240-4E3D-B49E-92DD86D2859E.jpeg

That vertical hose on the T is going to go to a water inlet hook up for hot water for AIS abatement.. I’ll be adding that to my raw water wash down up grade thread when I’m done.. so today will be drill two more holes and installing the water inlet fitting and the hose and the 1/2 valve for the flush system then that will be done.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Winter cover is off, tower is up and I everything is out of storage in the garage. Put new registration on. Will start loading the boat and doing maintenance every day or two to get ready for fishing. 50 degrees out today!20230326_172958[1].jpg20230326_172943[1].jpg

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yesterday was fairly productive.

• Changed the trailer tires.
  • Moved the spare tire mount to the starboard side.
  • Removed the old registration numbers and put the new ones on.
  • Painted the horn because it was yellow.
  • Greased hub bearings
  • Tried to paint the yellow faded bow light but cracked the lens while trying to figure out how to get to the screw underneath.

Still got a lot to do before summer....

• Get new hub covers, two have holes caused by damage that's letting water in and trapping it
  • Replace scupper valve
  • Check and adjust trailer wheel alignment
  • Polish the keel from getting beached
  • Reseal jet pump housings, starboard is pretty bad for a 2019
  • Install new batteries and add a 2nd house battery
  • Install black GPS cover
  • Change oil
  • Get a new bow nav light
  • Organize all the storage areas
  • Finish putting together the tool kit
  • Rewire amps (looks like a rats nest down there)
  • Tighten up several handles and latches
  • Detail it
  • Put on engine bay door seals for more noise control
  • Install a few new sea dek mats I have

And there's a lot I want to do...
  • Change or remove the green/yellow graphics
  • Add more cabin lighting
  • Underwater lighting
  • Tower lighting
  • Repaint tower

View attachment 196405

Tires were really bad. No more bias ply. All radial now
View attachment 196406

View attachment 196407

View attachment 196408
Nothing but problems with those crappy Carslile tires, good move changing them!

Possum

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length