• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Will Techron/Seafoam etc. work it’s magic without injector removal?

Mtbguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello all
i recently purchased a 2019 Sx195 a few months ago. It was a salt water boat (now on freshwater),approximately 60 hours on boat but it seemed a little neglected. I’ve spent the last few months replacing stereo system, rusty hardware, broken latches, etc.

The boat ran great when I first bough it, used it for a few short runs around the lake in March/April after purchasing it. On the fourth time using it my max rpms dropped dramatically from 8000ish to 5300-5400 rpm’s. We went from 40+ mph to 15 mph. Now it will only go about 5300-5400 rpms and 15 mph.

Dealer I purchased from changed oil (overfilled it). I lowered oil level to middle of range, removed the stock air filter and put new air filter on it.

things I’ve done to resolve problem

New start battery
New iridium plugs correctly gapped (old ones were for a non supercharged model and dirty and fouled)
Checked and adjusted throttle cable for full travel
New impeller (no sticks in there), tunnel looks fairly well sealed, about a credit card thickness gap between blades and impeller
ohm tested the spark plug boots and they seem good
pulled hose off supercharger, it only turns one direction
hoses seem tight and I checked a lot of the engine connections
I removed floor and checked fuel tank and filter, looked and smelled ok, cleaned Filter with B12 chemtool
this week I put a bottle of octane boost and Seafoam in tank (I’m suspecting bad fuel now or partly clogged injectors)
my oil level doesn’t seem to be diluted/rising as I have read from other posts on the forum
bucket on transom operates properly and not down in stream
clean out plug in correctly and seals well

I took boat out two days ago with intent to use a whole tank of fuel and refill it, thunder storms developed and the trip was cut short to 25 minutes. So far I’m probably on second full tank of fuel since purchasing it.

I believe the injectors are clogged and am wondering if it’s reasonable to take boat out again and use the remaining fuel and hope injectors clean themselves out.
Or is it a better plan to just pull them out and have professionally cleaned? My local dealer is about an hour away and claims they are backed up for four weeks so I would hope to get this fixed myself instead.

Any thoughts from the collective body of knowledge here are much appreciated!

Thanks!

RB

Last edited:
Check the compression.
get a set of regular plugs and try them if you gaped the iridium they can be damaged easily.
Credit card gap in impeller sounds like to much business card or use a real fealer gauge

Last edited:
Ditch the k&n and iridium plugs, stock air filter, ngk plugs.
Make certain batteries are up to snuff.

Last edited:
Hello all
i recently purchased a 2019 Sx195 a few months ago. It was a salt water boat (now on freshwater),approximately 60 hours on boat but it seemed a little neglected. I’ve spent the last few months replacing stereo system, rusty hardware, broken latches, etc.

The boat ran great when I first boat it, used it for a few short runs around the lake in March/April after purchasing it. On the fourth time using it my max rpms dropped dramatically from 8000ish to 5300-5400 rpm’s. We went from 40+ mph to 15 mph. Now it will only go about 5300-5400 rpms and 15 mph.

Dealer I purchased from changed oil (overfilled it). I lowered oil level to middle of range, removed the stock air filter and put K and N cone filter on it.

things I’ve done to resolve problem

New iridium plugs correctly gapped (old ones were for a non supercharged model and dirty and fouled)
Checked and adjusted throttle cable for full travel
New impeller (no sticks in there), tunnel looks fairly well sealed, about a credit card thickness gap between blades and impeller
ohm tested the spark plug boots and they seem good
pulled hose off supercharger, it only turns one direction
hoses seem tight and I checked a lot of the engine connections
I removed floor and checked fuel tank and filter, looked and smelled ok, cleaned Filter with B12 chemtool
this week I put a bottle of octane boost and Seafoam in tank (I’m suspecting bad fuel now or partly clogged injectors)
my oil level doesn’t seem to be diluted/rising as I have read from other posts on the forum
bucket on transom operates properly and not down in stream
clean out plug in correctly and seals well

I took boat out two days ago with intent to use a whole tank of fuel and refill it, thunder storms developed and the trip was cut short to 25 minutes. So far I’m probably on second full tank of fuel since purchasing it.

I believe the injectors are clogged and am wondering if it’s reasonable to take boat out again and use the remaining fuel and hope injectors clean themselves out.
Or is it a better plan to just pull them out and have professionally cleaned? My local dealer is about an hour away and claims they are backed up for four weeks so I would hope to get this fixed myself instead.

Any thoughts from the collective body of knowledge here are much appreciated!

Thanks!

RB
I don't think you can do much harm by running the current gas through the engine. If that does nothing, I'd change the plugs just to rule them out as that is a cheap test and these engines are REALLY plug sensitive.

I have a brand new battery and the plugs were put in a few days ago, factory gap was correct. I will try the stock NGKs. Hoping compression isn’t bad , in theory it shouldn’t be with low time engine!

Your problem of 5400 rpms sounds like a SC clutch failure. All of the other posts here about SC clutch failures have the same exact rpms without the SC running. Which would also explain why your plugs were fouled.

The only other thing I can think of is that if your air filter was saturated with oil, your intercooler may be fouled with oil as well. Again, though, sounds like a SC clutch failure.

I will check the intercooler for contamination, haven’t done that yet.
I checked the SC clutch and it only moved one way, is it possible to be failed and still pass the
the test? I was hoping that won’t be the problem due to the low hours on the engine.
Air filter is brand new, no oil on it.

thanks!

I just looked up the cost of Supercharger online, $4800! That’s insane

There is nothing wrong with techron, seafoam, and the like, but you got a different problem. I find it hard to believe that a boat with that age and hours had clogged injectors.

I just ordered a supercharger rebuild kit and blow off valve, I’m pretty sure this is the problem now from all I’ve read. Thanks!

So after purchasing lot$ of new parts, I started to remove supercharger today. On a whim I decided to clean the floor of the bilge when it was off. The large hose exiting the intercooler that attaches to intake manifold had fallen off. It was very hard to see and hard to access to screw hose clamp back on.
I’m hoping it was a simple problem like this that caused my problem. Its the only thing I hadn’t checked on the engine. I will find out tomorrow if it works!

So after purchasing lot$ of new parts, I started to remove supercharger today. On a whim I decided to clean the floor of the bilge when it was off. The large hose exiting the intercooler that attaches to intake manifold had fallen off. It was very hard to see and hard to access to screw hose clamp back on.
I’m hoping it was a simple problem like this that caused my problem. Its the only thing I hadn’t checked on the engine. I will find out tomorrow if it works!

That will be it.

That is definitely your problem!

Again, every SC‘d engine I’ve seen in these forums that won’t rev above 5500 rpm’s has lost boost, mostly it’s the SC clutch, this is the first time seen where a hose popped / blew off.

I checked the SC clutch and it only moved one way, is it possible to be failed and still pass the
the test? I was hoping that won’t be the problem due to the low hours on the engine.

I suppose anything is possible but unlikely.

There was recently another member with a boat like yours who hit will call it a rogue wave and I believe he was traveling along at wide-open throttle. Immediately after that his boat would not rather by 5500 RPMs, and despite all of the same advice that we’ve given you, it appears that he just sold the boat and never wanted to check his supercharger clutch. It is a common occurrence to have that happen as the clutch is designed to prevent overboost in the engine and to protect the supercharger. That’s what the blow off valve kits help with, to prevent over boost and cause the clutch to fail, at least that’s my understanding.

Great news simple fix

Boat is fixed! Hit 46 mph today at lake with elevation of 5500 feet! (I do have a high altitude impeller). Thanks everyone!
Wow that's great. I'm only hitting low 30s in my 2022 195 at 3700 feet. Maybe I need to look into the impeller

Back