• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Would you buy a boat that has sat in salt water for a year?

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
View attachment 198008
This is a picture of the block of one of the engines that came out of our boat, as you can see in the upper right the water jacket is completely plugged with salt residue. I will bet that if the boat you are looking at sat in the water for a year it was never flushed. Knowing what I know now about these engines I would not consider buying it.

So I have to ask.......

- Did you flush after ever outing?

- Did you use Salt-Away, Salt-Off, etc. as part of the flushing routine?

- Did you routinely run in shallow water.... sand....etc.?

I'm assuming you had some overheating or other performance issues that resulted in the tear down. There are plenty of guys on here that run in salt water and have never had any issues.

While Yamaha and other outboards have different engine designs, they run in salt water all day long so running in salt water alone isn't a death sentence if properly maintained.

Now all that being said..... I see your profile says your boat is a 2006 so if you have 17 years running in salt water and it was well maintained, I could see there being some corrosion, build-up after that much time.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I'll keep looking. I called around today and I can get one from Tampa for $80200. Not in stock right now but should be in within 2 months.
I would say that is a good call on your part.

I wouldn't touch that boat for anything over $50K because of the unknowns and potential after purchase expenses involved.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'll keep looking. I called around today and I can get one from Tampa for $80200 out the door. Not in stock right now but should be in within 2 months.
Not horrible. 65k boat puts you at 70k with taxes. 10k more for for brand new with warranty and trailer is worth it IMO.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just keep on moving. As stated before TONS of boats in FL. Spending any more time (or even discussion) of this boat is just plain stupid lol
What he said.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have to ask.......

I'm assuming you had some overheating or other performance issues that resulted in the tear down. There are plenty of guys on here that run in salt water and have never had any issues.

While Yamaha and other outboards have different engine designs, they run in salt water all day long so running in salt water alone isn't a death sentence if properly maintained.

Now all that being said..... I see your profile says your boat is a 2006 so if you have 17 years running in salt water and it was well maintained, I could see there being some corrosion, build-up after that much time.
Is is a new boat to him, previous owner was the negligent one...

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I have to ask.......

It was like this when I bought it, been trying to figure out why it was overheating and finally pulled the engine apart and found the blockage.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Walk away... there are a ton of boats out there and Lots of Yamaha Jet boats in Florida !! I dont leave my ratty ole 2004 AR210 setting in the water...

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I have to ask.......

And the thing about outboards is that you can tilt them up out of the water at the end of the day.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
MSRP was $65,999 trailer included. So take of 4k for the trailer you are at 61,999. Then I'd take off another 5k for the unknown damage from salt corrosion and growth on and IN the boat. How much for depreciation? So 57k max IMHO.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
It was like this when I bought it, been trying to figure out why it was overheating and finally pulled the engine apart and found the blockage.

Ok... that explains it a bit.

The original owner likely did not flush it properly. Whether the boat ran in salt water or not, it should be flushed after every use since a jet is prone to pulling debris through the cooling system. In salt water he should have be using something like Salt-Away.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length