• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electric Vehicles Likely To Blame For Sinking Cargo Ship

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Per the article:

"The ship was transporting electric and non-electric vehicles, according to Portuguese authorities. Suspicion on what started the fire on 16 February has fallen on lithium batteries used in electric vehicles, though authorities say they have no firm evidence about the cause"​
No article I've read says that they know the cause of the fire, and likely never will.

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
You can almost guarantee that if an electric vehicle caused the sinking, the reported cause will remain unknown. I’m sure that a quick interview with the first firefighter on scene and would be quite insightful, but it’s doubtful it will happen. It’s like our modern news on crimes…. “A person entered a convenience store, and robbed the owner at gun point”. A little description might help us find the culprit, but we can’t offend anyone male female, or otherwise. The electric vehicle is hinted, but not blamed. Often, it’s the lack of information, and refusal to deny that tells the story.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You can almost guarantee that if an electric vehicle caused the sinking, the reported cause will remain unknown. I’m sure that a quick interview with the first firefighter on scene and would be quite insightful, but it’s doubtful it will happen. It’s like our modern news on crimes…. “A person entered a convenience store, and robbed the owner at gun point”. A little description might help us find the culprit, but we can’t offend anyone male female, or otherwise. The electric vehicle is hinted, but not blamed. Often, it’s the lack of information, and refusal to deny that tells the story.
I'm pretty sure with as much of an insurance claim on the line, and a major ship loss that the entire crew will be carefully interviewed by transportation investigators and more.

Now can a crew member ID in billowing smoke what model of car is on fire and is it an ID4 or an Atlas etc. Depends on how soon after the fire started that they made it to the scene and if anyone paid any attention to the model car on fire vs focusing on fire fighting.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Even fossil fuelled cars now use Lithium starter Batteries ...

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Even fossil fuelled cars now use Lithium starter Batteries ...
Only in rare situations. Most cars still use lead acid batteries. Lithium batteries are suuuper expensive for that. Looked at them for the race car.. Not worth the cost for the weight to me.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Being in fire protection and manufacturing industry lithium ion fires are at the front of our minds. We are actively trying to get ahead of the big boom of them but man I tell ya the fire testing are no joke at work with them. They get into a runaway condition and it’s over. We are focusing on detection first and foremost then will worry with putting them out efficiently. Life over property. While the batteries are great for their uses, they have some serious issues once they get into a thermal runaway condition. Hopefully the next battery tech will address some of these trade-off’s better than lithium ion.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Awwww those poor Super Rich will have to wait for their shiny new supercar! My heart is hurting for them.
I'm sure people would say the same if your boat you were waiting for was on that vessel.