• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help Opinions please

dodgecity1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hi all stupid 1st timer female here ?Looking at a 2016 242 Limited S
And a 2018 242 xe
. Same price almost both well kept. Can anyone help with the differences pros and cons. Or do I take a chance and go for a 2023 222. The older ones have hours in the 30s

@Julian might be able to give an opinion.

And a 2018 242 xe
. Same price almost both well kept. Can anyone help with the differences pros and cons. Or do I take a chance and go for a 2023 222. The older ones have hours in the 30s

Here is what my friend said to me when I was going to buy a boat.

1. What are you going to use the boat for?
2. How often are you going to use the boat?
3. How many people are going to be on the boat on a regular basis? Be brutally honest with yourself here.
4. Get the smallest boat that will get the job done.
5. What can you comfortably afford so that you can go and use the boat as often as you like.

Edit: 6. Where are you going to use the boat. That should have been #2 on the list.

Having said all that if it were me, and I could afford it, I’d get the new boat, especially since you have a boat now.

Last edited:

3. How many people are going to be on the boat on a regular basis? Be brutally honest with yourself here.
5. What can you comfortably afford so that you can go and use the boat as often as you like.

Having said all that if it were me, and I could afford it, I’d get the new boat, especially since you have a boat now.
Weekends pleasure speed reliability relaxation no wake boards. Want speed. 2 or 3 adults

What I can afford will depend. I will be selling a boat and a 2021 RT Challenger Scat Pack shaker wide body 6 speed

1666560924081.png

I would agree with the above.

I would also add the 24' boat has a head, may or may not be important.

The slightly longer hull on the 24' would also probably be a little bit better in rougher water.

Personally, if I was buying, I would go with the 2023 "222" as I like the redesign and having a 5 or 7 year newer boat.

Jim

You said you want opinions sooooo...

I'd go limited 242. Bigger boat is always better. New boat is smaller, and boats aren't like cars where new means perfect. New boats means you are the final QC inspector for what to fix. It's a hassle, not a perk imo. Outside of that... if it ain't at the store on a trailer, you have no idea how long it will be before it comes in.it could be spring, it could be next winter, it could get kicked to 2024 model year.

So that's my opinion, I'd go for the not wake focused limited.

Would need to know the prices on the 2 used boats. I'd go with the 2018 242 XE or the new 22' boat with E series controls. I've driven them all, and really love the E Series throttle controls. There isn't a big difference in speed across them all. We always have friends, so space is important to us. But the price points would be important too.

I would lean towards the 242XE just for the extra space/size.

Weekends pleasure speed reliability relaxation no wake boards. Want speed. 2 or 3 adults

I added one more to the list, 6. Where are you going to use the boat?

As @Julian mentioned, what is the price of the 242?
As @adrianp89 mentioned the 242 has 2’ more room. I’d go and sit in / on both the 222 and the 242 to see which one suits you, keeping in mind getting the smallest boat that will get the job done. When I was getting my boat my friend with the list was leaning towards the 195 FSH Sport, but I wanted the 21’ FSH‘s bow seating and storage, in the end my friend mentioned he was glad I got the 21’ for the storage and the extra room, in my case the 21’ has a much better bow area and two people can fish up there. The 195 FSH sport has a single supercharged 1.8L engine=250 hp, while mine has tge twin TR-1 engines=222 hp, I did give up some “performance“, and in return I got a boat that uses considerably less fuel, has greater range and can seat more people and has plenty of room for their gear. Because I own one I have to suggest looking at the 222 FSH Sport, 222 FSH Sport E, or even the 252/255 FSH boats, they are not as “loungy” as the bow riders, but a lot of my friends who never thought center console were pleasantly surprised at how much room there is on the center consoles. Check out @julians and Neil aka @OperationROL 222 FSH video here https://jetboaters.net/threads/2023-yamaha-222-fsh-sport-e-walkthrough-by-neil-and-julian.39332/

The 2023 222S and above have the 1.8L engines which are rated at 180HP which will give the best speed, the AR & SX have the TR-1 1049cc engines are rated at 111HP and are still plenty sporty and have better fuel economy. I’m assuming by your screen name you live in Dodge City KS which is at 2467’ elevation, best go with the 1.8L models if speed is going to be number one in your book.

The 2023 models have a 70 gallon fuel tank compared with the 2018’s 50 gallon tank.
The 2023 will have a factory warranty with an option to get an extended warranty. These boats are very reliable, but if anything goes wrong, especially something major you’ll be glad you have a warranty. That will have to be weighed against the lower price of the 18’.
Looks like the 242 has a fresh water shower, I don’t see that listed on the 222.
The 222 has swim up seating.
Etc Etc…. Download the Yamaha app and compare the features of the 222 vs. the 242 and compare that to your list of must haves, like to have.

You only live once and there aren’t any Uhauls following the hearse to the graveyard..

AE94D292-21D6-464B-9FB5-5478A667AA37.jpeg

Don't forget to compare where you are going to store it, and how you are going to tow it. Most of the ones mentioned are similar weight, so if you have enough tow vehicle for one, you should be able to tow them all. But it's worth asking before jumping into a 24' boat. Also where you are storing it. With the folding tongue, you need at least 24' of tall door storage.

per Profile: a LS2000 good running makes it a little tougher in jet boats... your gonna have a hard time finding a new jet boat that's faster... maybe a 212X with SVHO 250's

maybe a 212X with SVHO 250's
Never existed. They have only used the 180hp in that hull. The 212ss is about as fast as any four stroke Yamaha has gone. Some folks with the new supercharged engines are claiming well into the 50's, but I think they are relying on the Yamaha dreamometer a bit much. GPS may disagree.

Never existed. They have only used the 180hp in that hull. The 212ss is about as fast as any four stroke Yamaha has gone. Some folks with the new supercharged engines are claiming well into the 50's, but I think they are relying on the Yamaha dreamometer a bit much. GPS may disagree.
yeah that what I meant... :oops: but 250 is an easy upgrade to the 180... I have my eye on a pair of 180's on Fleabay right now... if they were 250's id snap them up

yeah that what I meant... :oops: but 250 is an easy upgrade to the 180... I have my eye on a pair of 180's on Fleabay right now... if they were 250's id snap them up
Without going to larger pumps, you would never be able to put that power down. There is a reason the SVHO's are more than adding a supercharger. The pumps are larger and reduce cavitation. And then when done with that, the MPH gain would never be worth the cost to do it. Most of these boats are 48-52mph top end. Speed is relative in most folks eyes. And for what these boats are, it's a good top end, as my 242ls will do it empty or with a load. Let alone be drop dead reliable. Which most of us would never give up to gain 5mph on the top end

yep... reliable is why I converted 2 stroke to 4 stroke.... and why im machining up a set of 155 HO pumps to fit my transom plates... and why I would go to 160mm pumps if i go to 250's... the hull on the new boats is designed to limit the speed... that said the 212 is still likely the best... based on the requirements given or a 222 if new... I see a lot of new $250,000+ boats here that look old after a year... corrosion hulls fading... Formulas seem to hold up good, a lot goes into the care... but salt water every day takes a toll... boats are like airplanes operation and maintenance costs are high across the board consumables, parts, and labor

guessing the 242xe should have the larger bimini?
i'd love to have that, but don't think it works in my storage spot...as i have to lower tower to get in.
so check specs and compare to your storage

And a 2018 242 xe
:Welcome:
Same price almost both well kept. Can anyone help with the differences pros and cons. Or do I take a chance and go for a 2023 222. The older ones have hours in the 30s
Hours in the 30's? I'd be wary of 5-7 year old boats with less hours than I put on during a summer season. They either were not used much, or worse they were neglected and sat rusting for years. Even occasional use or light use of 10 hours a season would be 50-70 hours by now. I wouldn't buy a used boat with so few hours on them unless they were 2021 or 22 models. These Yamaha engines are very reliable and well made, but sitting idle for years is not good for any motor. Make sure you have them thoroughly inspected by a marine surveyor and insist on a water test before making a decision. If they refuse to either request, walk away as they might be trying to dump the boat's problems onto someone else.
You don't mention where you'll be boating...that can influence your needs.
But based on your stated needs so far, why not look at the 19ft models? The supercharged 195 models perform very well and are large enough for 2-3 people comfortably. Drop by a dealer and sit in them...a "hands on" experience helps you to gauge your needs. The newer 195 models are very roomy for a 19ft due to the layout and they have the same great dual level swim platform. The 195's will hit 50mph with a single engine. My bigger and heavier twin engine 212s hits 53mph...not much difference due to the larger boat and greater weight.

Back