• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do you carry extra gas safely?

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That didn't require more ratchet straps ?? Looks a little loosey goosey to me LOL
I would wrap once around each gas can handle, and another around the "mid section" of the cans.
Nope. They're being held down and pressed against the step/cooler by the ratchet strap. Rock solid

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found 5 gal cans at Walmart that are more square in shape than most cans. They fit perfectly in the wet storage behind the seatbacks on the swim deck of my 2015 240. No strap needed, and the compartment is at least somewhat vented and drains overboard if there is a spill, but with the way they fit in there it would be almost impossible for them to tip over. Even if there was a leak and it ignited, it should just blow the seat back/door open instead of a hole in the boat, and there are two layers between there and the engine compartment. I considered putting them in the head or in the ski locker, but didn't feel comfortable with the confined spaced and proximity to the hull, and me, if there was an explosion. I put one on each side going to and from Bimini last year in some pretty rough conditions without issue. I even had a case of beer in there with them. Didn't move or spill a drop. Doesn't appear I ever took a picture of them or I would share. Never had to use the gas, used 30 gallons or less in both directions, but it was good piece of mind to have a spare 10 gallons on board.

I used these cans: Scepter 5 Gallon SmartControl Gas Can, FR1G501, Red - Walmart.com

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You guys should use power sports gas cans. Infinitely better/safer/more leak tight than the automotive ones with the garbage EPA safety nozzles. Easier to pour into the side gas filler too.
I’ve dropped them in the road without a leak so they’d be fine with anything you can do in a boat.
1611953869458.jpeg

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the gas fill now closer to the bow on the new 2021 boats, I wonder how more difficult it will be on the water. I recall @Julian had developed a rope/pulley system to refuel using the tower but don't believe we can use that with the new design.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
With the gas fill now closer to the bow on the new 2021 boats, I wonder how more difficult it will be on the water. I recall @Julian had developed a rope/pulley system to refuel using the tower but don't believe we can use that with the new design.
No real "system"....my cans have a side handle, so all I do it attach a rope to the side handle, swing the can out and stuff the nozzle in the gas filler hole and then put my elbow on the side of the boat with my arm out at a slight angle (sort of in an arm wrestling position). If the filler is closer to the tower on the newer models, it might be even easier to just tie to the tower?

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No real "system"....my cans have a side handle, so all I do it attach a rope to the side handle, swing the can out and stuff the nozzle in the gas filler hole and then put my elbow on the side of the boat with my arm out at a slight angle (sort of in an arm wrestling position). If the filler is closer to the tower on the newer models, it might be even easier to just tie to the tower?
Unfortunately doesn't seem like it will be easier than previous models. It is higher up off the water though.

1611957298918.png

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
You guys should use power sports gas cans. Infinitely better/safer/more leak tight than the automotive ones with the garbage EPA safety nozzles. Easier to pour into the side gas filler too.
I’ve dropped them in the road without a leak so they’d be fine with anything you can do in a boat.
View attachment 141099
I have two of the VP Racing cans, probably should get one more.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1611960162979.png

I'm with Moose @MrMoose.
We carry on longer trips, not only Bimini, but also Lake Powell, or river runs (this was Chicago - Peoria IIRC). Easily 40 gal in 5 gal cans.

Just check your cans, don;t use them if they leak! Use the non-EPA spouts, very important.

Don't forget, Yamaha gave us the wet storage compartments in the stern of all 240/242 boats, each can fits 1 or 2 - 5 gal cans.

Why would anyone want to strap those to the swim platform? Well, unless you have no other space or try to look like one tough redneck - I get it, lol.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And not to start a shit show over it, but his tower attachment bolts were damaged before he left. Wether he did the damage and wether it's a safe design is another discussion, but the tower is plenty capable of handling an extra 63lbs.
OOH!!! Fighting words!!!!
lolol, just kidding.

Well, my story aside, several members here have had AR240 tower bolts back up in rough water, so just be careful. Tightening them up can only help so far, mine are now replaced with longer shafts and bolted down from under the hull cap, the only way I trust those things. No more headaches.

But regarding extra fuel, honestly, these boats have SO MUCH storage, there is space for easily 40gal extra fuel even fully loaded for a Bimini trip for 3-4, unless you are running stuffed with provisions for five weeks narco boat style.
:cool:

--

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
View attachment 141108

I'm with Moose @MrMoose.
We carry on longer trips, not only Bimini, but also Lake Powell, or river runs (this was Chicago - Peoria IIRC). Easily 40 gal in 5 gal cans.

Just check your cans, don;t use them if they leak! Use the non-EPA spouts, very important.

Don't forget, Yamaha gave us the wet storage compartments in the stern of all 240/242 boats, each can fits 1 or 2 - 5 gal cans.

Why would anyone want to strap those to the swim platform? Well, unless you have no other space or try to look like one tough redneck - I get it, lol.

--
Why did we strap them to the platform? Because we had skis, a wakeboard and tubes in the ski locker. We also had 8 adults, their luggage and a crap-ton of food and booze.

(Oh, and 'cuz I didn't think of the ski locker)

It's not like we cruised around Bimini with them, they were just there for the crossing.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are pics from Lake Powell trip, loading up on ethanol free at Page, AZ
1611969554557.png

The rear compartments hold 5gal cans nice and snag, along with some bumpers:
1611969614442.png

I would use a large piece of memory foam mattress to hold everything down in the ski locker, and an old ballast bag up front inflated enough to keep everything snag:
1611969741021.png

We were doing up to about 200 mile runs on the lake some days, and we went pretty far into the middle where services can scant or... non-existent.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OOH!!! Fighting words!!!!
lolol, just kidding.
Was beginning to wonder if you had seen that comment or not :)

I think these mounted low and outboard of the hull on the sides of the tower. Like literally just about the mounting flanges, on the upright tubes of the tower. At least on the forward swept towers that might work well.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was beginning to wonder if you had seen that comment or not :)

I think these mounted low and outboard of the hull on the sides of the tower. Like literally just about the mounting flanges, on the upright tubes of the tower. At least on the forward swept towers that might work well.

That is an idea. Still, making center of gravity as low as possible certainly does not hurt - when attempting silly stuff like taking an YJB offshore :D,
One other consideration that's always coming up with the offroad crowd in these situations is Sun/heat exposure, those cans sitting flat out in FL sun in the summer can balloon pretty quick.

One thing I would stress is making sure they don't leak. Filling the surface of the opening/neck to smooth it out with fine sand paper block can help a lot, and the long non-EPA fast spouts are a must IMO.
I love the idea of those racing jugs, don;t remember why I didn;t go that route, I think they are too tall for the ski locker. ANything larger than 5 gal can be an issue to transfer fuel in rough weather.

--

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That is an idea. Still, making center of gravity as low as possible certainly does not hurt - when attempting silly stuff like taking an YJB offshore :D,
One other consideration that's always coming up with the offroad crowd in these situations is Sun/heat exposure, those cans sitting flat out in FL sun in the summer can balloon pretty quick.

One thing I would stress is making sure they don't leak. Filling the surface of the opening/neck to smooth it out with fine sand paper block can help a lot, and the long non-EPA fast spouts are a must IMO.
I love the idea of those racing jugs, don;t remember why I didn;t go that route, I think they are too tall for the ski locker. ANything larger than 5 gal can be an issue to transfer fuel in rough weather.

--
In my experience (thanks Dad!) The best way to keep a 5 gallon fuel can from leaking is to only put 4.5 gallons in them. Air can compress, liquid cannot when it is heating up.

Unfortunately when the govt got involved the plastic “gas” cans became crap. The VP style of “utility” jugs are usually very good and have a thick O ring in the cap to help it stay sealed. If the O ring gets damaged replace it with a new one. And I believe the vent has a flat synthetic washer under it. Also, if you replace the PVC hose with vinyl fuel rated hose, the filler will remain flexible for years...or just replace the PVC hose when they start to get stiff. If you’re going to use VP style jugs, get an extra main cap with a fill hose to transfer fuel with, and leave the main caps without fill hoses while in transit. This makes them shorter and easier to handle.

And speaking of handles... there is always this style which could make the act of refueling easier.

95605F39-171F-4661-B30F-2688BB6B9F59.jpeg

As far as being out in the sun.. yeah they ballon up for sure. Two solutions here, after filling the can and everything is sealed up, crack the vent and use your knees to squeeze the can and force the air out then tighten the vent. So as pressure increases from heat and agitation there is a bit of a vacuum void to fill. Two is to check the cans for pressure early on a few times and vent the pressure. While epa rated cans may prevent the lighter ends from passing through the plastic, the fill tubes and caps are crap and cause spills completely negating the need for a non permeable material, whike the VP style cans are much more robust, they‘re leaps and bounds easier to use. When I was racing some folks used to drill out the vent slightly bigger and put a tube in the can to within a couple of inches of the bottom. You’d start your fill without opening the vent, then crack the vent and the vacuum would pull the fuel up out of the vent tube and the rest of the fill went quicker as the air didn‘t have to bubble up through the fuel.

If you really want a trick set up, put a larger fitting and fuel fuel hose on your fill cap and put a vent tube inside your fill tube. This concept is the way the military style cans work. Or just the larger diameter fill hose. Edit: Never mind I forgot the boats “restricted“ fuel filler size.

Last edited:

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We took 8 adults to Bimini.

2 couples were responsible for booze and food. I told them we had the cooler (meaning that's what they could fill).

They misunderstood and showed up at the dock with 3 shopping carts full of food and booze (and more booze).

EVERY possible nook and cranny was full - I think at one point I was standing on the rear hatches just to get them to close. :DView attachment 141091
Did you end up needing the extra fuel for the crossing? Or just peace of mind. The boat does sound like it was pretty well loaded down.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you end up needing the extra fuel for the crossing? Or just peace of mind. The boat does sound like it was pretty well loaded down.
Since it was the first time the group had gone (2011), most of us brought extra for peace of mind.

In addition, there was a cigarette boat group there who had run Bimini out of gas for the first few days so it was fortuitous we had brought some along.

IIRC we only used about 1/3 of a tank on the way over and about half on the way back (significant waves on the way back).

Yes, we were pretty heavy. The Bahamas lead boat had stated that they would only go as fast as the slowest boat so we were initially chugging along at too slow a pace (I wasn't even on plane). I ended up breaking off from the group and leading a few of us there with my little Garmin with a 1" black and white screen.

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Here are pics from Lake Powell trip, loading up on ethanol free at Page, AZ
View attachment 141116

The rear compartments hold 5gal cans nice and snag, along with some bumpers:
View attachment 141117

I would use a large piece of memory foam mattress to hold everything down in the ski locker, and an old ballast bag up front inflated enough to keep everything snag:
View attachment 141118

We were doing up to about 200 mile runs on the lake some days, and we went pretty far into the middle where services can scant or... non-existent.

--
Sorry to see your daughter is def.