• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Neighbors cars repossessed: What would you do?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not boat related at all but over the last week I saw two different neighbors’ cars repossessed.

I did not do anything but watch but am wondering if I should have done something more.

For context: The first one I witnessed while mowing my lawn early in the morning (around 6:30). A white F250 rolled up and backed into the court across the street from my house. He backed up to a car in the driveway of a neighbor I know. Within a minute the hidden hitch was deployed from the bed of the truck, less than a minute later, the truck with car in tow was pulling out of the court. He stopped in front of my house to do a quick inspection before driving down the street to tie the towed vehicle down.

The second repo I saw just this morning while on my run/workout at between 6 and 6:30. This time I didn’t know my neighbor but watched as a tow truck with the company name on the side quickly pulled up, backed in and lifted his car in the driveway. I ran by as this was happening and as I completed my loop I saw the guy pull his rig into a local shopping center where he tied everything down before leaving town.

Should I have knocked on either neighbors doors to tell them what I saw or was seeing? I didn’t do so for several reasons the first being it’s none of my business, the second being I didn’t see what good could come out of giving anyone notice that their car is being or has been repossessed. I also wanted to avoid the awkward and possibly embarrassing conversation with a neighbor I know or one I just met.

Did I do the right thing by doing nothing at at all? What would you do?

Side Notes:
I lived in a less affluent neighborhood for over 20 years and never witnessed a repossession. I’ve been at my current location, a much more affluent neighborhood, for about two years and have now seen two repos in less than a week.

I thought the best time to repo a car was at night when most people are sleeping after a long day. These guys came in the early morning which seems riskier to me since traffic gets bad quickly so to beat it many people leave early, as in 5a to be at work by 7.

I could tell these were repos because the cars owners were not around, the tow truck driver didn’t knock on the doors and moreover they lifted the cars as is, both times the front wheels were turned and not strapped down to the forks initially. It looked a lot like what a shop lifter would do. Take possession quickly but don’t check out what they got until they are out of the owners sight.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I certainly don't think you did anything wrong,

I guess it would depend on how well I knew my neighbors and if they had financial issues,
If they're not having problems maybe you're stopping a car theft ??

I guess best case scenario would have been to call 911 and report the trucks plate number and let police take it from there,
that way you did something and not getting involved in a fist fight or worse,

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They were notified by the bank let the repo man do his job. Motor vehicles evaporate more wealth than probably all of the recessions combined. They are needed but are designed to fail causing immense waste of natural resources . Change this to cars that can easily be repaired and the manufactures have to stand behind them to 200k miles. Then everyone could afford boats

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Morning is the best time for repo and warrants. There are few people awake at 6am AND on a substance that leads to big ego trips.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fyi- the first one happened so fast I didn’t think to take a picture. The second one happened while I was on a run so I did not have my phone with me.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is no way I would ever get involved in that other than maybe make a phone call if I was close friends with the person getting repossessed. They should have paid their bills and it wouldn’t have happened to them.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the neighbor never talked to me about their financial issues, I would continue operating under the assumption that they wouldn't want me to bring up the fact that they have gotten themselves into a situation where they couldn't afford the vehicle that got repossessed. If they asked me about it after the fact, I would tell them what you saw, but you didn't know what was going on, and play dumb. Nobody knows what another person's behavior can escalate to, when faced with financial hardship, so a LOT of situational awareness on your part would start with simply taking note.

Remember:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I took a lot of mental notes while basically minding my own business. I bet those guys wish they lived in the nearby gated community but I would also bet that an experienced repo guy wouldn’t have much of a problem getting in anyway.

This reminds me of a friend way back, he invited me boating but when I got there he told me his boat was just stolen, it wasn’t until a few days later I found out through a mutual friend that it was repossessed. I still talk to the guy, over 25 years since this happened but we have never talked about “it”.