• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 2015 Models

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I will be interest to hear how this stands up in real use:

"Turning was crisp and sharp at all speeds and the new hull design also had the added affect that when one let go of the wheel while in a turn, the wheel and the boat immediately centered up on a smooth straight path."
Would love to see some video of driving in a straight line with no wake mode engaged and off so see how much course correction one has to make. Can you point it and let go of the wheel and generally hold a course?

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Im also curious about the tow point being farther back. With hard wake crossings will the stern keep from wagging? Maybe the new keel/rudder helps with that?

The tow point on mine is damn near center of the boat.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will be interest to hear how this stands up in real use:

"Turning was crisp and sharp at all speeds and the new hull design also had the added affect that when one let go of the wheel while in a turn, the wheel and the boat immediately centered up on a smooth straight path."
Would love to see some video of driving in a straight line with no wake mode engaged and off so see how much course correction one has to make. Can you point it and let go of the wheel and generally hold a course?
It will want to self-center the wheel. If you point it off center and let go the wheel will tend to return to center position, not hold the position you pointed.

I agree it will be interesting to see how straight a path it takes.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It will want to self-center the wheel. If you point it off center and let go the wheel will tend to return to center position, not hold the position you pointed.
Yup....which suggests it will track straight on its own (mostly)...I'll be curious if that holds true.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is that a hint???? Are you planning on picking up a new one??? :winkingthumbsup"
No, I have spent way too much time upgrading my boat this year to sell it.

At the end of the 2013 season we looked at the 2014 models and decided that Yamaha did not offer anything that we could not reasonably add to our stock Sx230 at a much better value. After adding A 30 can Refrigerator, A Magma Grill mounted on the Bow, Ray Marine Dragonfly for navigation and fish finding, Fulton F2 Winch, Fulton F2 Trailer Jack, second bilge pump, swim deck cup holders, Full Custom Hydro Teak, Seasense Stainless LED Bow Light, Lectrotab Trim Tabs, Mente Marine ACS - Trim Tab Controller, Fusion IP600 head unit, six Infinity 6912M speakers, Stainless steel retained garboard drain plug, A 16 gallon fresh water shower, Dual AGM batteries, Faria battery gauge and onboard charger we will be enjoying the upgrades for a few years before upgrading boats.

If we were facing the same choice today I would likely have bought the 2015 242 before starting the mods.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

I agree it will be interesting to see how straight a path it takes.
Drove it today, and if your in a turn and let go it will center the wheel and track straight.

I was really impressed with how well the keel works and how well it tracks!

I would say it had a good 20% sound reduction. My wife says is more like 30%.

Last edited:

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Last edited:

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Curious to know if the keel is an upgrade that fits some of the older boats. That definitely caught my attention and I would consider adding if it was available for my boat.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Curious to know if the keel is an upgrade that fits some of the older boats. That definitely caught my attention and I would consider adding if it was available for my boat.

Looks like it might be a great mod. Wait and see results and see when they post the parts on the yammi parts page. Im def going to be paying attention!

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Drove it today, and if your in a turn and let go it will center the wheel and track straight.

I was really impressed with how well the keel works and how well it tracks!

I would say it had a good 20% sound reduction. My wife says is more like 30%.

Great info. Do you think the keel and rudder combo is enough to keep the boat on a straight course with very little to no input of the steering wheel while at no wake speed?

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great info. Do you think the keel and rudder combo is enough to keep the boat on a straight course with very little to no input of the steering wheel while at no wake speed?
I really don't have that much of an issue with this on my 242 LS with Thrust Vectors and the "TDE" setting. A little more when not in TDE, but really not that much... I wonder if the TDE helps more than I realize.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really don't have that much of an issue with this on my 242 LS with Thrust Vectors and the "TDE" setting. A little more when not in TDE, but really not that much... I wonder if the TDE helps more than I realize.
I can see how the TDE would help with slow speed steering, since it points the water down and not out, giving it more of a "bite". We have the older style cobra steering. I can keep the boat relatively straight at no wake speeds, but it requires my constant attention... If I take my eyes off of where I am going for more than a second or two the boat will start to spin. If I let go of the wheel in no wake mode the boat will just sit and spin in circles. If the combination of TDE and the keel and rudder fix that issue, it would be a huge improvement for Yamaha's boats.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Volffas, there is a huge difference in straight line handling between the original cobras and the current extra large fins. My LX210 had original cobras which worked great with the smaller lighter boat. My SX230 came with original cobras which did not do much for it at all. I upgraded to extra large fins (I am staying out of the which fins are better argument) and find my SX230 to be quite stable and have much better slow speed maneuvering ability.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Volffas, there is a huge difference in straight line handling between the original cobras and the current extra large fins. My LX210 had original cobras which worked great with the smaller lighter boat. My SX230 came with original cobras which did not do much for it at all. I upgraded to extra large fins (I am staying out of the which fins are better argument) and find my SX230 to be quite stable and have much better slow speed maneuvering ability.
I will have to look into a set of new fins then. We REALLY love our boat, but my only real gripe is how terrible the slow speed steering is. My wife is a pro at driving at speed, towing wakeboarders,tubes etc.. , but she REFUSES to drive at no wake speed in crowded areas because the boat keeps getting away from her.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Volffas I wish this video had a comparison of small fins to big ones but it will give you an idea of what the bigger fins do

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If the articulated keel were an add-on option (which would be very curious to see how that would be possible), you would have to adjust your trailer bunks for sure to avoid ripping it off :).

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only have one question concerning the fins.

1. Will the fins track the boat straight in slow speed long enough to let go of the wheel, grab a soda from the cooler and take a drink?

The video above he shows the boat going right..left..right..left, ect. My question above is what I'd like to hear from fin owners.

Kevin1741

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I only have one question concerning the fins.

1. Will the fins track the boat straight in slow speed long enough to let go of the wheel, grab a soda from the cooler and take a drink?

The video above he shows the boat going right..left..right..left, ect. My question above is what I'd like to hear from fin owners.[/QUOTE

Kevin1741

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the cobra 16x fins and while they do help IMO you can't let go of the wheel without the boat tracking to the left. Within a few second it ends up going in a different direction. Was worse prior to the fins.
My 2cents