• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie Needs help with navigation/gps system advice/suggestions

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I went with the Garmin Echomap 94SVand I am very happy with my decision. It has a great display that I can see in full sunlight. Also, I do a good amount of driving at night and it really helps to see the channel and objects very clearly with the bigger display.
Do you know which Transducer you have? Do you fish too? Hell maybe I should try fishing again since they can’t hide….all my past days of sitting there for hours and no action would be just a memory using these lol……

Who knew life would be so complicated……

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do you know which Transducer you have? Do you fish too? Hell maybe I should try fishing again since they can’t hide….all my past days of sitting there for hours and no action would be just a memory using these lol……

I bought the Garmin with the GT51 transducer as it is much stonger (goes deeper) - and this was important for fishing off Bimini in 1000 foot deep water! If you aren't into fishing big time, the less expensive transducer will be fine. I wouldn't spend more money on the more expensive one. You can always switch it out later if you all of a sudden become a massive fishing nut!

This link shows all the transducers and the pros and cons. I have side scanning....and really haven't found a good use for it.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I bought the Garmin with the GT51 transducer as it is much stonger (goes deeper) - and this was important for fishing off Bimini in 1000 foot deep water! If you aren't into fishing big time, the less expensive transducer will be fine. I wouldn't spend more money on the more expensive one. You can always switch it out later if you all of a sudden become a massive fishing nut!

This link shows all the transducers and the pros and cons. I have side scanning....and really haven't found a good use for it.
Thanks Juilian! I am thinking the same thing (going with the cheaper GT24 for now). I just need to figure out the 7” vs 9” screen, although with my eyesight I should probably go 9” lol.

Do you happen to know the difference with (GT56UHD-TM Transducer Bundle,or With CV51M-TM Transducer: both are the same price but what is the difference between the GT and CV series)??

sounds like you did a lot of research? I cannot find anything of detail about the “GT” vs “CV”. Thx

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go with the 9" if you can. I wear reading glasses and I can see the 9" without them which is nice when I have sun glasses on. The extra 2" is a big difference.

Also with respect to the Transducer, I have the GT56UHD, it is fantastic. You could go to one that is a bit cheaper but if you ever want to upgrade you will have to run a new line and remove the old one and undo the sealant and the thru hull fitting, etc. My transducer is built so you cant just change the unit without replacing the the unit and the wiring. They are one and sealed together. Plus the cost is negligible in a bundle. Just some food for thought.

I just looked and the GT56UHD only costs $200 in a bundle with the 93sv UHD. Can't really go wrong with that.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so I found some specs on the GT24 vs GT56. It looks like “downward” coverage are the same, but the 56 adds the “side view” coverage??? Do I really need all the side view capability if I’m just using it for charting/avoiding shallows on the lakes I dont know and not trying to hunt down the biggest fish (lol)???
Sideview is pretty cool. I don't use it alot, but I do use it in the rivers and channels in Lake St. Clair, you can see the fish stacked up against the shore's where it is deep. Also found some other cool sunken things. It did help me avoid a nasty sunken cement pylon/wall that was sunken while pulling up to gas. I had it on by chance and saw it before I would run over it. Freak thing from one of our storms but saved me some fiberglass damage most likely. Now when I need to dock on a break wall or somewhere else I always flip it on.

Again, for $200 in the bundle you can't go wrong.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Sideview is pretty cool. I don't use it alot, but I do use it in the rivers and channels in Lake St. Clair, you can see the fish stacked up against the shore's where it is deep. Also found some other cool sunken things.

Again, for $200 in the bundle you can't go wrong.

Hmm. I see both the 93SV and 94Sv are $899. Then the 93SV with GT56 is $1099, but the 94SV with the GT56 is $1199??

Any Idea what the 94SV has that the 93SV doesn’t???

I think I might be able to fit the 9” using your ram mount Idea, as the engine start buttons are there, but once started I could swing the screen over to fill that spot, then swing it out of the way if I need to re-start again…..

I think I’m heading to the boat show tomorrow if I dont have afternoon meetings…..maybe a Garmin rep will be there???

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
94SV is for Oceans/Coastl and such with mapping. You want the 93sv. The difference is the charts only. If you get the 94SV you won't have charts for inland lakes and such. You can add them but the cost is hefty.

l

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
94SV is for Oceans/Coastl and such with mapping. You want the 93sv. The difference is the charts only. If you get the 94SV you won't have charts for inland lakes and such. You can add them but the cost is hefty.

l

Great info! Sounds like the 93SV/gt54 is the best value. Looks like MAP pricing. Where did you buy yours? Wondering if I should go to garmin warehouse or Bass Pro shop/local walk-in?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the 93sv and it is bundled with the gt56. From bass pro. The gt54 was the previous model

Last edited:

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

It's the GT54. I do fish a little, but to be honest I haven't installed it yet. I'll probably do it in October when I have some time. I bought this mainly for the chartplotter. Also, I'm in the Chesapeake Bay and plan to go offshore a little next year.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks Juilian! I am thinking the same thing (going with the cheaper GT24 for now). I just need to figure out the 7” vs 9” screen, although with my eyesight I should probably go 9” lol.

Do you happen to know the difference with (GT56UHD-TM Transducer Bundle,or With CV51M-TM Transducer: both are the same price but what is the difference between the GT and CV series)??

sounds like you did a lot of research? I cannot find anything of detail about the “GT” vs “CV”. Thx
Here is a link that describes the differences between CV and GT transducers. The short of it is, the CV uses 2 lower power elements while the GT has one higher power element. The practical result is - the GT will scan A LOT deeper (which is what I was looking for in deep drop fishing off bimini), while the CV doesn't go anywhere near as deep but does better side scanning.

Now they have more expensive ones that do both better.....just depends how much money you want to spend!!!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked at theses also when buying.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Out of all the gps /plotters that i owned, my current raymarine Axiim is the easiest to use.
I agree...I've used chartplotters before, and I played with several at an in-store demo panel to compare, and the Axiom was one of the easiest to figure out while playing around. The Simrad GO series were also very nice but not readily available in my area so that made my choice easy.