• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us what you see!!!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Dinner and drinks on the boat while the nice weather lasts.

69970D98-D9A5-404D-9DF1-BEFFB0279EA7.jpeg

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wired up the new compressor today, ran all my air lines 3/4 with 4 couplers on each side. Have on more to run at a later date when the lift comes in. Gonna have one run down the side of one lift leg.
This compressor is super quiet, very impressed
Tomorrow just have to install the brackets for the lines to straighten them up.
Shop is a mess from doing this all day20230930_203932.jpg20230930_203737.jpg20230930_203723.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We went down to Mass. again for a couple of days this week to start cleaning the hull that has been in the Atlantic for a couple of years as well as the Bahamas last Winter. She was pretty dirty above the waterline with that "Intracoastal brown smile". As well as barnacles to scrape off on the anti fouling below.

View attachment 209360

Willow washed her using Starbrite instant hull cleaner and I removed some of the boot stripes that were still on the hull with a heat gun. You can see the true color of the gelcoat once the stripe has been removed. Got some oxidized gelcoat to sand.
I must say, it is nice working the hull from the ground and not a ladder.
View attachment 209361

View attachment 209357

Parked next to a couple of other cats. A Broadblue 385 (unstepped mast) and a big Lagoon on the right. Not as much freeboard as the others.

View attachment 209358

Took the motors home to overwinter in the garage. As well as the helm seat that will be reupholstered.

Another “work in progress”.
Wait did I miss something? Did you buy ANOTHER sail boat? What about the one you have that was meticulously restored?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wait did I miss something? Did you buy ANOTHER sail boat? What about the one you have that was meticulously restored?
IDK maybe, lol. Yes we did. The Beneteau is for sale. The PDQ 36 has a lot more room, equivalent to a 46' sailboat, a few kts faster and we needed another BOAT to work on. Gonna do it all again. :banghead: Will be bringing her up the Hudson to Champlain in the Spring.

Last edited:

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use an impact to remove the rotor retaining bolt and anti seize it and lightly tighten it on install. Can’t say I’ve ever stripped one out though.
My impact didn‘t wasn’t able to get it out either. The corrosion in the northern states practically welds nuts and bolts into place.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yesterday I helped my son in law change the suspension in his 2011 Texas Expedition. No rust on the frame. Every bolt we were able to remove. No corrosion falling in my face while under the truck. What a world of difference from my time maintaining Northern IL vehicles.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Meanwhile, up in the rust belt…The colors are coming along. Maples, birch and ash are showing. The oaks have a while to go. Out walking with the dogs on the farm.

E16C95F0-1253-4D28-B8EA-83F20873D64D.jpeg

F2F172C9-03A7-44C8-947C-354CE0D95BF8.jpeg

Last edited:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have broke them before as well. I find when they put tires on they like to overtighten the lug bolts. As mentioned above use Anti-seize. Those pads were bad. Were the rotors still good?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wife said her brakes were making noises. No problem, I got this! It’ll take me under 2 hours to change some pads.

Yeah, right… 8 hours later, 4 trips to NAPA, stripped bolts, frozen calipers, bruised knuckles and a whole lotta suck I’m finally done!

I’m sure a skilled mechanic could have made easy work of this project. But I’m not a mechanic. I’m a self taught stubborn asshat who refuses to take my vehicles to a mechanic.
I salute you for the effort and had the same attitude about changing oil in my road going vehicles but for years now time savings has taken priority over cost savings. An oil change at jiffy lube and the like takes 15 to 30 minutes, runs about $100 and I often sit in the car surfing or on a call during the process. If dyi it, it takes me over an hour from setup to clean up not including buying and disposing of materials which cost about $30. Brakes run abiut $200 per axle at shops here in CA.

I’m jealous of the lift you have. Very cool and convenient.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Saw this at a funeral yesterday. Funny how few I remembered but admittedly I think of myself as spiritual not religious. Like the constitution some interpretation is involved. I also find it strange that “Thou shall not kill” isn’t closer to the top of the list.

while at the cemetery I visited my future grave site for the first time in years. It was surreal standing on it, the most expensive real estate I will ever own.
IMG_3492.jpegIMG_5741.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IDK maybe, lol. Yes we did. The Beneteau is for sale. The PDQ 36 has a lot more room, equivalent to a 46' sailboat, a few kts faster and we needed another BOAT to work on. Gonna do it all again. :banghead: Will be bringing her up the Hudson to Champlain in the Spring.
I feel the making of a financially self sustaining retirement hobby here.

Congrats on the new boat. Got a build thread going yet?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I feel the making of a financially self sustaining retirement hobby here.

Congrats on the new boat. Got a build thread going yet?
Its a labor of love. It's a BOAT, nothing about it is financially sustaining, lol. No thread yet, may start with a thread for a new name for her.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One more…I love looking thru old ship’s maintenance logs, especially when they go back 30 years to 1993. A couple of pictures from the log.

This one from 2004, no mention in the USCG report I paid for, about this $20,000 insurance repair.

View attachment 209371

And this one with hours on the motors. Not the 2018’s we have now with 600+ hours.
Wow, 5000+.

View attachment 209372

This boat spent some time down around @Murf'n'surf ‘s turf.
Must have been a surprise to find there were two holes in the hull? At least they were above the water line. They must have done a great job with the repair 19 years ago if there wasn’t any sign of damage done.

Those are great maintenance records.

Jim

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use an impact to remove the rotor retaining bolt and anti seize it and lightly tighten it on install. Can’t say I’ve ever stripped one out though.
I've never reinstalled those, once removed. I've always considered them to be assembly bolts to keep them from falling off as they move down the assembly line, and I don't ever recall seeing them called out in service manuals, save for an old Honda CRX, which actually referred to them as "assembly bolts", and didn't mention replacement after removing them. Those things are the design of the devil 😆

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've never reinstalled those, once removed. I've always considered them to be assembly bolts to keep them from falling off as they move down the assembly line, and I don't ever recall seeing them called out in service manuals, save for an old Honda CRX, which actually referred to them as "assembly bolts", and didn't mention replacement after removing them. Those things are the design of the devil 😆
Unless I am missing something, those bolts are designed to hold the rotor against the bearing surface after the brake corner module (usually made at a supplier plant) is assembled and before the wheel is installed at the assembly plant’s chassis line - which locks everything in. There are other methods to do the same thing - GM used to use pushnuts over two of the studs to keep the rotor snug, for one example.

Any debris or corrosion between the bearing outboard mounting surface and the rotor inboard mounting surface (underside of the hat) is VERY BAD news for longevity and braking output of the brake assembly. Issues here will cause lateral runout, which will at some point (through several different mechanisms that can interact to drive problems very quickly) cause pulsation then REDUCED BRAKING output problems then uneven wear then premature failure. Can also cause vehicle pulling to side under braking which can cause VEHICLE CONTROL ISSUES in extreme situations.

I was a manufacturing engineer and production manager in a brake corner assembly plant, a caliper plant, and a wheel spindle bearing plant for about 10 years, so have a fair bit of knowledge in this space. I am not familiar with the specifics of the Honda design, my knowledge is about 20 years out of date, and I am not a PE - so above is general reference and not intended as advice nor should it be taken as such. If you are not sure, seek guidance from official Honda sources. Braking issues can become very serious - sometimes with no warning - so due care is absolutely required.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Beautiful weather here, mowed a cut of hay this morning and did some fishing and catching this afternoon. Nice little smallmouth.

8B39BB63-A8B4-4557-B68D-3CC87B30F956.jpeg

980C1C6A-5E99-4CB9-94DD-39EC7B2F49D5.jpeg

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Its a labor of love. It's a BOAT, nothing about it is financially sustaining, lol. No thread yet, may start with a thread for a new name for her.
SV Sugarbush