• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us what you see!!!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ran that ozone generator on Saturday for about an hour.. It smelled badly of ozone when I dropped it off at the dealer on Monday. They did the manifold and rear window and I picked it up today. I still smelled mold when I opened the door.. I took it to the car wash and I wiped down most of the interior surfaces. Gonna give it another day and maybe give it another go with the ozone generator. I'm thinking that I should pay a detailer to go through the interior and steam the carpets and headliner. It's too big of a job for my harbor freight steamer. They should be able to get the carpet under the seats.
Here's how I run mine, I leave the car running, put the HVAC on recirculate, and run an extension cord through the window. I close the window as well as I can, then set the timer for 120 minutes. I set a timer for 15 minutes (more, if my wife complains that it's bad), and let everything run (car and ozone generator).

After the 15 minute timer is up, I open the door and shut the car off, and let the ozone generator finish the 120min cycle.

When that's done, I unplug the extension cord, open the car, and open every window and sunroof. Start the car again, and run the HVAC on high, and let it run for 15 minutes to allow the ozone to settle out.

I have a garage, not sure if you do too, but then I leave the windows open overnight. The ozone smell is usually fine at that point, and it will stay smelling like that for at least a week, unless I have another cigar. I usually do this about once a month during the summer, and in the winter I hit it when the car starts to smell stale.

I can imagine the smell is quite powerful if you got in soon after treating it. Like @Coult45 said, sometimes it'll take a number of treatments to get some success - think of it this way, it's been "percolating" for a number of weeks or months on you, so your case is going to be more extreme than even my cigar smoke.

Mequiars makes a bomb if you want to add that, but I'd try the ozone treatment 2-3 more times before adding the scent bomb. There's no harm in trying it, but it may be more effective after the ozone has knocked down the smell a bit more.

I HAVE smelled cars that were beyond hope, but that was my wife's aunt who let her beagles destroy her car in horrible fashion, and she was equally horrible with her hoarder-like cleanliness tendencies. Replacing the seating in the car couldn't fix it - the ozone generator did a great job knocking it down, but it always had some slight scent of "WTF is that, are we near a farm?"

The Meguiars bomb isn't too spendy, but I don't know what you're looking at as a point where it's too much out of your pocket - @suke may have some input, since he's great at exteriors, maybe his expertise extends to the interior, or he knows of a magic bullet for stuff like this

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here's how I run mine, I leave the car running, put the HVAC on recirculate, and run an extension cord through the window. I close the window as well as I can, then set the timer for 120 minutes. I set a timer for 15 minutes (more, if my wife complains that it's bad), and let everything run (car and ozone generator).

After the 15 minute timer is up, I open the door and shut the car off, and let the ozone generator finish the 120min cycle.

When that's done, I unplug the extension cord, open the car, and open every window and sunroof. Start the car again, and run the HVAC on high, and let it run for 15 minutes to allow the ozone to settle out.

I have a garage, not sure if you do too, but then I leave the windows open overnight. The ozone smell is usually fine at that point, and it will stay smelling like that for at least a week, unless I have another cigar. I usually do this about once a month during the summer, and in the winter I hit it when the car starts to smell stale.

I can imagine the smell is quite powerful if you got in soon after treating it. Like @Coult45 said, sometimes it'll take a number of treatments to get some success - think of it this way, it's been "percolating" for a number of weeks or months on you, so your case is going to be more extreme than even my cigar smoke.

Mequiars makes a bomb if you want to add that, but I'd try the ozone treatment 2-3 more times before adding the scent bomb. There's no harm in trying it, but it may be more effective after the ozone has knocked down the smell a bit more.

I HAVE smelled cars that were beyond hope, but that was my wife's aunt who let her beagles destroy her car in horrible fashion, and she was equally horrible with her hoarder-like cleanliness tendencies. Replacing the seating in the car couldn't fix it - the ozone generator did a great job knocking it down, but it always had some slight scent of "WTF is that, are we near a farm?"

The Meguiars bomb isn't too spendy, but I don't know what you're looking at as a point where it's too much out of your pocket - @suke may have some input, since he's great at exteriors, maybe his expertise extends to the interior, or he knows of a magic bullet for stuff like this
I went in this morning to check it out. I didn't smell anything. I'll get a HEPA filter and do a few more cycles to be sure that mold is gone. Like, run the ozone generator 15 minutes then leave the HEPA filter running over night. But it was a big improvement with the ozone generator. I feel like I'm on the right path and I just have to keep at it.

I did do an odor bomb similar to the meguiars. Picked it up at walmart, ozium brand. I really didn't like that smell. I can try another 1

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went in this morning to check it out. I didn't smell anything. I'll get a HEPA filter and do a few more cycles to be sure that mold is gone. Like, run the ozone generator 15 minutes then leave the HEPA filter running over night. But it was a big improvement with the ozone generator. I feel like I'm on the right path and I just have to keep at it.

I did do an odor bomb similar to the meguiars. Picked it up at walmart, ozium brand. I really didn't like that smell. I can try another 1
Ozium "regular" or "new car smell" is probably what they had available, and oddly, I find the "new car smell" to be horrible. They have a "Carbon Black" scent that I thought was great, but it's very hard to find other than Amazon. If you haven't tried the original scent, but you find that smell tolerable, they used to sell a 4-5" round solid air freshener that lasts for 30 days or so.

Good to hear that you seem to be making some progress, that moldy smell is something that seems to cut through everything else and tickle the nose

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ozium "regular" or "new car smell" is probably what they had available, and oddly, I find the "new car smell" to be horrible. They have a "Carbon Black" scent that I thought was great, but it's very hard to find other than Amazon. If you haven't tried the original scent, but you find that smell tolerable, they used to sell a 4-5" round solid air freshener that lasts for 30 days or so.

Good to hear that you seem to be making some progress, that moldy smell is something that seems to cut through everything else and tickle the nose
I think I did the original scent. I don't like any air fresheners because they give me a headache. I prefer a freshly cleaned smell. So probably any odor bomb is going to bother me. I bought a little HEPA filter. I'm going to ozone treatment a few more times, 15 minute intervals, and run the HEPA filter. I think it just needs a few treatments to be sure that I've got all the mold out. Otherwise it will keep growing

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Headed to CG station St Pete to pick up my Auxiliary uniform and snapped a couple photos of Tampa bay. @zipper your not the only one up and close anymore 😉
IMG_5540.jpegIMG_5541.jpegIMG_5544.jpeg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How it started: we were supposed to have rain all weekend, last weekend. Saturday turned into sunshine and a beautiful day. Forecast said Sunday, no more rain in the area. I went to help family/friends plumb 3 separate campers and campsites for DWV, and my wife removed all the stone shown on either side of that dirt patch, so we could attempt to address the shifting of the well tank, and stabilize the area for longer than a year or two that's been typical. She's a champ, but it cost us.

Sunday rained all fricken day. Due to the aliens transporting us into the bodies of old people who were painfully sore, we chose to welcome the rain and finish this weekend.

1000021085.jpg

Fast forward, the work last weekend, combined with some other work on Tuesday, combined to require an ER trip for my wife that night, and bedridden Wednesday and Thursday. She toughed out the drive to the lake house, but we ended up having to head back to pick up pain meds Friday. Picked up materials on the way back up, also visited with the physio neice who came up, and she was operational Saturday, while my brother-in-law repaid my plumbing help by helping me remove the 8 extra stones in the pic below. THREE hours for those. Mud, muck, water, everything slipperier that all get out, and heavy. We finished getting almost all the rest of the materials, and we were down for the count.

Rain helped push this off ANOTHER weekend until things dry out, so I graded and compacted as much as possible. The rain made it feel like I was working concrete! Next time, down goes the geotextile, some base gravel and prepping a base for some flat block, and building it up to the level needed, and hopefully this won't have to be touched again until I'm in the grave 😆

Later this summer, hopefully the new house supply pipe gets trenched in, and that concern won't be an issue anymore, but it'll bring more BS work like this. Today's the pickup for the boat, and I'm not even putting the battery in, to avoid the temptation to work on it.

1000021331.jpg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Started taking apart the new trailer and making a list of needs. Think I’m going to go with torsion axles instead of leaf springs, not sure what I’m going to do for bunks yet and have to measure the OE trailer to get the bow stop in the correct position so the weight over the axles is close to the same. Also going to eventually look for some decent aluminum rims to dress it up.
IMG_1431.jpegIMG_1430.jpeg

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How it started: we were supposed to have rain all weekend, last weekend. Saturday turned into sunshine and a beautiful day. Forecast said Sunday, no more rain in the area. I went to help family/friends plumb 3 separate campers and campsites for DWV, and my wife removed all the stone shown on either side of that dirt patch, so we could attempt to address the shifting of the well tank, and stabilize the area for longer than a year or two that's been typical. She's a champ, but it cost us.

Sunday rained all fricken day. Due to the aliens transporting us into the bodies of old people who were painfully sore, we chose to welcome the rain and finish this weekend.

View attachment 219254

Fast forward, the work last weekend, combined with some other work on Tuesday, combined to require an ER trip for my wife that night, and bedridden Wednesday and Thursday. She toughed out the drive to the lake house, but we ended up having to head back to pick up pain meds Friday. Picked up materials on the way back up, also visited with the physio neice who came up, and she was operational Saturday, while my brother-in-law repaid my plumbing help by helping me remove the 8 extra stones in the pic below. THREE hours for those. Mud, muck, water, everything slipperier that all get out, and heavy. We finished getting almost all the rest of the materials, and we were down for the count.

Rain helped push this off ANOTHER weekend until things dry out, so I graded and compacted as much as possible. The rain made it feel like I was working concrete! Next time, down goes the geotextile, some base gravel and prepping a base for some flat block, and building it up to the level needed, and hopefully this won't have to be touched again until I'm in the grave 😆

Later this summer, hopefully the new house supply pipe gets trenched in, and that concern won't be an issue anymore, but it'll bring more BS work like this. Today's the pickup for the boat, and I'm not even putting the battery in, to avoid the temptation to work on it.

View attachment 219255
Oof...some of these projects are a young man's game...stay on the Advil.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

You guys are all on the right track. I've been camping with my oldest and haven't looked at my phone much. I haven't seen much that I could add that hasn't already been covered. I will say while I have the knowledge.....I hate interiors. Worst case an exterior at least gets rained on. Some interiors never see a lick of cleaning. Which I why I generally try to stay away from doing others interiors. LOL!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Started taking apart the new trailer and making a list of needs. Think I’m going to go with torsion axles instead of leaf springs, not sure what I’m going to do for bunks yet and have to measure the OE trailer to get the bow stop in the correct position so the weight over the axles is close to the same. Also going to eventually look for some decent aluminum rims to dress it up.
View attachment 219272View attachment 219273
Might want to address that spare tire too 😉. Trailer came from a Skeeter bay boat?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
View attachment 219272View attachment 219273
I see there are disc brakes on the front axle. Thought it was supposed to be the rear axle with leaf springs. But that must be up to the manufacturer. Does Alabama require brakes on both? Guessing not.

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trailer came from a Skeeter bay boat?
The guy I bought it from did not have a Skeeter. He bought it a while back and decided he didn’t want it anymore.
I see there are disc brakes on the front axle. Thought it was supposed to be the rear axle with leaf springs. But that must be up to the manufacturer. Does Alabama require brakes on both? Guessing not.
I believe that it had brakes on both axles at one point in time. I haven’t looked into the legality of it but the plan is to put brakes on one axle unless I find out otherwise.