• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Stuffed the Bow 3x in a row big time - raised some concerns

Could have been worse -
. Not sure a bilge would have helped these folks
That’s a crazy video. The guy driving is awful but the guy splashing little bits of water out and trying to put his arms through that life vest every which way is the star. They are lucky there’s a lot of rescuers in the area.

Seems weird how they towed them out backwards and didn’t unload any of those people from the smallest rescue boat there. I guess they didn’t want to lose momentum.

Hey everyone - So as stated above my family and i had an occurrence on the lake last weekend. After changing my shorts from this near swamping i started thinking about redundancy systems especially for the bilge pump and electrical.

Here's the story;

As read in other posts i know the boat is compartmentalized with plugs in the ski locker, engine compartment and rear drain plugs. I always boat with all plugs closed while in the water and open all plugs once out of the water as recommended by yamaha. during my "occurrence" water filled the anchor locker and ski locker ( they are 1 continuous cavity ) then through open seams under the floor, water filled the gas tank compartment. The bow was about 4" above water line and the stern was pretty much close to being fully out of the water. Long story short the bilge was overwhelmed but with our bucket brigade helping, we saved the boat with no damage ( except to ego and 1 cell phone ).

so here's my thought - please give your opinions;

I believe the stock Bilge pump is an automatically activated 1000gph pump - So Should i add a second pump of equal size in the ski locker and plumb the egress port into the existing line or make the second pump independent utilizing a flexible hose that can be thrown over the gunnel if use is needed. The independent option would utilize a larger pump, say a 2500gph pump. 3rd option is to upgrade the current pump to say a 4000gph to really move some water if needed. Bilge pumps are cheap, boats are not.

Battery protection - From factory the battery is exposed - adding a quality water tight battery box to prevent shorting thus allowing pumps to run as long as they possibly can.

Obviously avoiding being stuffed like a turkey is the best option but the lakes here in AZ get suuuuper busy in summer and the power boats love to zip by us tiny bow riders. So im thinking better safe than sinking! Thanks folks!

Im trying to imagine how the anchor locker and ski locker filled with water after stuffing the bow three times if the hatches are closed? The anchor locker has a small hole for the rode when the hatch is shut, but that doesn’t seem like it’s big enough to let enough water in to fill that compartment. Perhaps adjusting the ski locker hatch latching mechanism so that it is sealed on the gasket better? Same thing with any other compartments on your boat, and keep all compartment latches secure whenever they are not being used.

Try to keep the water from entering those compartments and have the water drain out the self bailing deck drain. And speaking of the deck drain, make sure it is clear and working properly.

Im not exactly sure how your boat is laid out as far as the different compartments go that have drains, but I’m with the others in that I keep my compartment drains open except the fuel tank. In fact I keep the drain plugs in the bow floor compartment and the center console compartment propped up so that water can drain quickly out of those compartments should they some how get water in them. My anchor locker is it’s own compartment and since I rarely use the anchor I now keep that “drain” (should be called an inlet) plugged.

Your boat more than likely came with a 500 gph bilge pump, I’m glad to hear that it worked in to clear the boat of water, eventually. Have you pulled the oem bilge pump out of the strainer to make sure the strainer is clear of debris? There is usually a lot of production crap in the bilge, might want to give the bilge a good flush then check the bilge screen, then put the plug in and using a hose fill the bilge with water to make sure the bilge pump works automatically, that’s something I do a couple of times a year. Did your bilge pump run automatically during this “occurrence” or did you run it manually ? I installed an additional bilge pump I’m my boat, an 800 gph unit in the very rear of the bilge with its own discharge line. The 800 still uses a 3/4” discharge, once you go above the 800 size you will be into the 1” discharge line, and once you get into the big pumps, 2500 gph, I think the discharge hose size is either 1&1/4” or 1&1/2”. You should only need another 500, same with me, but I went with the 800. But hey, after your occurrence you could go with a 1500gph one if that makes you feel better.

As far as batteries go, did your battery get submerged? if you have a flooded lead acid battery it has to be vented to let out the gasses. I don’t know that I’d feel comfortable putting any lead acid type battery in a water tight box, but I I like your thinking on this. Just be sure the battery is secure and in a box to contain any acid from getting on stuff.

Further on the battery front, do you have an onboard charger that you can plug in when you get home after a day on the lake? This is probably the best thing you can do for battery performance and longevity. Our boats charging systems just don’t have the capacity to charge batteries properly and fully while on the water. Having a properly charged battery will assure your bilge pump(s) will be able to clear water from any future occurrences. Adding a second battery may not be a bad idea either.

While I did not have an “occurrence” I was concerned about taking waves over the bow as some of the lakes I go to are large and can get really big waves with short frequencies so I added two deck drains and that extra bilge pump for capacity and redundancy. I also made sure my bow floor locker hatch seals properly so no water gets in when the hatch is closed. I’m glad the only real damage was soiled laundry, a cell phone and an ego bruising…as a friend of mine says, Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want. Use the “occurrence“ as a learning experience and make the necessary changes to make your boat as bullet proof as possible.

Edit: Also as the others said, when conditions are crazy like you described, all persons in the back of the boat, and, keep the bow high, under power going slow, use the bow as your shield, you see the successful Haulover boats practicing that.

Wrong way: You can’t see them on this photo, but there are three women and a small boy in the bow.

BACE7FF6-C9A9-4B0A-B925-7025CE5051BE.png

Right way:

D138473C-7FB5-438B-9550-4CF2C6B50D23.png

Any water that does come in will go immediately to the stern and go out the deck drain, and if any water does get in the bilge the pump will remove it. My friend who has been a huge help to me on the boat and my projects observed that my boat, and I’m going to assume all the Yamaha boats, are well designed to handle taking waves over the bow in that most of the water will stay out of the bilge. I went back and looked at some vids and I don‘t think your aft storage compartments have latches on them. Consider adding the rubber bungee style latches to these compartments so a wave couldn’t come in and lift them allowing water free access into those compartments.

Last edited:
I'll piggyback on above posts. I keep all inside plugs open so as to let water flow back to the bilge.

Another suggestion, which I have used, is to add a snap on bow cover to keep the water out of the boat in those conditions.

Yikes! Bow was 4” above the water?! I’ve used my Tsunami wake surf bag portable pump before to get rid of excess water. That’s my back up. It worked great.
Sounds like the same backup I keep on the boat. FATSAC Supa Tsunami at 1700 gph should help the little 500 gph stock pump I figured. Knock on wood, haven't had to use it yet, but better to have it and not need it....as they say.

Sounds like the same backup I keep on the boat. FATSAC Supa Tsunami at 1700 gph should help the little 500 gph stock pump I figured. Knock on wood, haven't had to use it yet, but better to have it and not need it....as they say.
My boat was filled with water and I was throwing water out with a freaking solo cup when I remembered the pump. It just pumped it out in gallons. It was such a relief. Something to consider.

Agree, leave all plugs open.
On my 250 there is no plug in the ski locker so cant close it even if I wanted to.

Im trying to imagine how the anchor locker and ski locker filled with water after stuffing the bow three times if the hatches are closed? The anchor locker has a small hole for the rode when the hatch is shut, but that doesn’t seem like it’s big enough to let enough water in to fill that compartment. Perhaps adjusting the ski locker hatch latching mechanism so that it is sealed on the gasket better? Same thing with any other compartments on your boat, and keep all compartment latches secure whenever they are not being used.

Try to keep the water from entering those compartments and have the water drain out the self bailing deck drain. And speaking of the deck drain, make sure it is clear and working properly.

Im not exactly sure how your boat is laid out as far as the different compartments go that have drains, but I’m with the others in that I keep my compartment drains open except the fuel tank. In fact I keep the drain plugs in the bow floor compartment and the center console compartment propped up so that water can drain quickly out of those compartments should they some how get water in them. My anchor locker is it’s own compartment and since I rarely use the anchor I now keep that “drain” (should be called an inlet) plugged.

Your boat more than likely came with a 500 gph bilge pump, I’m glad to hear that it worked in to clear the boat of water, eventually. Have you pulled the oem bilge pump out of the strainer to make sure the strainer is clear of debris? There is usually a lot of production crap in the bilge, might want to give the bilge a good flush then check the bilge screen, then put the plug in and using a hose fill the bilge with water to make sure the bilge pump works automatically, that’s something I do a couple of times a year. Did your bilge pump run automatically during this “occurrence” or did you run it manually ? I installed an additional bilge pump I’m my boat, an 800 gph unit in the very rear of the bilge with its own discharge line. The 800 still uses a 3/4” discharge, once you go above the 800 size you will be into the 1” discharge line, and once you get into the big pumps, 2500 gph, I think the discharge hose size is either 1&1/4” or 1&1/2”. You should only need another 500, same with me, but I went with the 800. But hey, after your occurrence you could go with a 1500gph one if that makes you feel better.

As far as batteries go, did your battery get submerged? if you have a flooded lead acid battery it has to be vented to let out the gasses. I don’t know that I’d feel comfortable putting any lead acid type battery in a water tight box, but I I like your thinking on this. Just be sure the battery is secure and in a box to contain any acid from getting on stuff.

Further on the battery front, do you have an onboard charger that you can plug in when you get home after a day on the lake? This is probably the best thing you can do for battery performance and longevity. Our boats charging systems just don’t have the capacity to charge batteries properly and fully while on the water. Having a properly charged battery will assure your bilge pump(s) will be able to clear water from any future occurrences. Adding a second battery may not be a bad idea either.

While I did not have an “occurrence” I was concerned about taking waves over the bow as some of the lakes I go to are large and can get really big waves with short frequencies so I added two deck drains and that extra bilge pump for capacity and redundancy. I also made sure my bow floor locker hatch seals properly so no water gets in when the hatch is closed. I’m glad the only real damage was soiled laundry, a cell phone and an ego bruising…as a friend of mine says, Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want. Use the “occurrence“ as a learning experience and make the necessary changes to make your boat as bullet proof as possible.

Edit: Also as the others said, when conditions are crazy like you described, all persons in the back of the boat, and, keep the bow high, under power going slow, use the bow as your shield, you see the successful Haulover boats practicing that.

Wrong way: You can’t see them on this photo, but there are three women and a small boy in the bow.

View attachment 181053

Right way:

View attachment 181052

Any water that does come in will go immediately to the stern and go out the deck drain, and if any water does get in the bilge the pump will remove it. My friend who has been a huge help to me on the boat and my projects observed that my boat, and I’m going to assume all the Yamaha boats, are well designed to handle taking waves over the bow in that most of the water will stay out of the bilge. I went back and looked at some vids and I don‘t think your aft storage compartments have latches on them. Consider adding the rubber bungee style latches to these compartments so a wave couldn’t come in and lift them allowing water free access into those compartments.

Last few days I've been doing all the checks - scupper is free flowing, bilge screen is not plugged however a lot of manufacturing debris did come out and the mechanical access port broke a tab while inspecting things ( ugh ) - All in all the boat held up well. In the Yamaha 19' boats the anchor locker and ski locker are one long cavity and the seals from oem are less than desirable but are functional enough for normal use. I did not lose power and the battery did not get wet but if it had then the pump could have failed making a bad situation worse.

I've decided to add a battery box but not watertight as my battery is not designed to be sealed and i like that FAT SAC Tsunami pump that was mentioned - maybe i can leave it loose on a long cord that i could plug into my power port allowing me to pump water from any part of the boat if needed.

@AZ_AR195 I added a 2nd bilge pump to my boat as redundancy/extra pump power - primarily for Bimini crossing. I also have a 3rd ballast bag pump that I could deploy in an emergency if I need more pumping capacity.

When I'm crossing to Bimini there is no one allowed in the bow, and all our weight is shifted to the stern. Did you have anyone in the bow - it seems like you must have to have the bow end up that low. As others have said, you want to keep the speed up so that the bow remains high. This also makes the bow a dangerous place to be if there are bigger waves as bow participants could get hurt with the heaving up and down.

Back