• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha 275SD engine died - thoughts?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here is the link to save you some time. Please don’t anger Poseidon’s brother or whoever might have taken his place after the dark ages
That’s deep dude! I‘ve loved Greek mythology since I was first introduced to it in seventh grade. My favorite is the story of Persephone.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s deep dude! I‘ve loved Greek mythology since I was first introduced to it in seventh grade. My favorite is the story of Persephone.
My first child that I never met due to a miscarriage, I refer to her a Persephone...

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My first child that I never met due to a miscarriage, I refer to her a Persephone...
Oh man.... I’m sorry for your loss... Persephone was most beautiful.

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
@BGN123 i have been keeping an eye on your story as it is disheartening to see for many reasons. Between Yamaha being slow, some bad luck and you having a bit of an attitude it is like a perfect storm. In my opinion it was a mistake for you to buy a Yamaha to begin with. Based on your statements your pay grade is way above the median pay grade of the average Yamaha owner and therefore the level of service you expect is not the level of service Yamaha is catering too. No different than going from a boat Bentley dear to a Kia dealer.

I applaud your statement about being a 1st world problem and everything but if I were you I will also try to adjust my expectations.

I know you are busy man but maybe if you can find a bit time it might help to read on Phaethon’s story

Wishing you all the best with you knew engine. And if possible please try to break her in no break her.
What a great and deep message to find on a jet boat board! A bit too deep for me but I get the point. So you are saying I could have skipped this whole thing if I knew Yamaha = Kia? Just kidding. Anyway I choose believe Yamaha when they say I did it somehow (even though the mechanics say not true). And I probably did have an attitude (although they have no way to know that). Here’s hoping I get the boat back soon. And thanks for all the comments!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Adjust his expectations? Have you priced a 275SD? These aren’t $35k boats anymore.

There are 2 components here. One is Yamaha and one a person who is thinking about making an impulse purchase of a Boston Whaler Vantage 280. Forget the 275SD, try to price those. So yes, I do believe there is a gap between what he is used to ( and/or expect) and a typical Yamaha customer expects.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There are 2 components here. One is Yamaha and one a person who is thinking about making an impulse purchase of a Boston Whaler Vantage 280. Forget the 275SD, try to price those. So yes, I do believe there is a gap between what he is used to ( and/or expect) and a typical Yamaha customer expects.
His financial situation has no bearing here. He bought a boat with a warranty from a dealer and it keeps breaking. For Yamaha to tell him to pound sand is just wrong. Level of service hasn’t even come into play here; they are refusing to fix it at all.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
IDK...a “prop strike” that no one heard, saw or felt caused north of $20k in uncovered damages?!?

Maybe it’s time they put some shear pins in the drive train.

<joe Biden voice> Come On, Man!

@yamaha

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If I know I didn't suck anything up, and the impeller has zero damage, and the mechanic says he sees no damage.....I'd be fighting Yamaha BIG TIME.

I have to assume since you aren't fighting them, that you are aware of something that happened to cause this????? Or you have metric shit tons of money and the fight isn't worth the aggravation??

There have been 3 shaft breaks in the last 3-6 months - never heard of one before that - even when people wrap ropes around their shafts that stop then engine or even break the fiber glass in the intake tunnel.

This is strange....

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@captainhook at the risk of insulating my childhood hero or sounding like I am subbing for Clemson Tiger I will attempt a further clarification.

Businesses ( just like most entities ) operate with a strategic vision which takes into consideration false positives ( or false negatives depending on point of view). This is has nothing to do with the morality or legality of the situation, but rather the reality of it. They have a way out and he has the cash. They did not badge in when they almost killed a man with an IQ of 200 and you expect them to do the right thing for the rich Yankee who is using the pandemic as opportunity for an endless vacation !!!!
Have you forgotten the retaliatory behavior towards jetboarts.net for failing to censor his criticism of a flawed design ?
You might have might have taken his lightly, but I was there and 36 inches away from the phone calls with Yamaha and the effort from the forum member to help Yamaha diagnose the issue. That on its own would have made me morally obligated to replace the broken part. But hey we all know how that ended right .....

And for the record, despite all this, I still believe their product is far superior to their closest competitor and will buy a 5th product from them when the time is right, but as far as @BGN123 goes he needs to adjust his expectations. oh and yea, I will go a limb here and say not to expect a far superior experience with a Boston Whaler either. What you want is more in par with 7 figure disposable income not a petty bourgeoisie my friend.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was just looking at some of this and the first thing I wanted to do is view the break in the driveshaft if this is your actual driveshaft look at the center and how it looks rusted and rough and then look at the edge to the right and how it looks smooth and clean this indicates that the drive shaft appears to have had a flaw in the center indicated by the rough rusted area and was fractured prior to the entire shaft failing where it is clean and smooth. Just my observation but the rusted part obviously failed first and for a while from the looks of it. So that would appear to support a faulty shaft.
1619388099096.png

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@captainhook at the risk of insulating my childhood hero or sounding like I am subbing for Clemson Tiger I will attempt a further clarification.

Businesses ( just like most entities ) operate with a strategic vision which takes into consideration false positives ( or false negatives depending on point of view). This is has nothing to do with the morality or legality of the situation, but rather the reality of it. They have a way out and he has the cash. They did not badge in when they almost killed a man with an IQ of 200 and you expect them to do the right thing for the rich Yankee who is using the pandemic as opportunity for an endless vacation !!!!
Have you forgotten the retaliatory behavior towards jetboarts.net for failing to censor his criticism of a flawed design ?
You might have might have taken his lightly, but I was there and 36 inches away from the phone calls with Yamaha and the effort from the forum member to help Yamaha diagnose the issue. That on its own would have made me morally obligated to replace the broken part. But hey we all know how that ended right .....

And for the record, despite all this, I still believe their product is far superior to their closest competitor and will buy a 5th product from them when the time is right, but as far as @BGN123 goes he needs to adjust his expectations. oh and yea, I will go a limb here and say not to expect a far superior experience with a Boston Whaler either. What you want is more in par with 7 figure disposable income not a petty bourgeoisie my friend.
This barely comprehensible reply apparently boils down to two things: WGAF about people with money to burn, and warranties are worthless? Did I get that right?

BGN does not need to adjust his expectations. He's got a brand new flagship boat that doesn't work, seemingly through no fault of his own. The expectations of a Yamaha buyer, a Bayliner buyer or an Intrepid buyer are the same - fix the boat at no cost within a reasonable timeframe.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This barely comprehensible reply apparently boils down to two things: WGAF about people with money to burn, and warranties are worthless? Did I get that right?

BGN does not need to adjust his expectations. He's got a brand new flagship boat that doesn't work, seemingly through no fault of his own. The expectations of a Yamaha buyer, a Bayliner buyer or an Intrepid buyer are the same - fix the boat at no cost within a reasonable timeframe.
I apologize if the term False Positive/False Negative or the other verbiage is barely comprehensible to you. I take it for granted maybe because I deal with at work on daily basis.
I have to admit I am taken aback by the fact that you are surprised that companies look for ways not to honor their warranties. Rich or poor cooperate America is equal opportunity to screwing over the consumer. In case particularly though, I am trying to say that "WGAF" is going to go the other direction. Let me give it one final shot.

I bought $10 worth of lemons yesterday. I tried to roast some pork with them this morning and noticed that 2/3 of them were bad. Do you think I am driving 8miles to Walmart to get a refund? Same thing here, but for @BGN123 his lemons amounted to a bit over $100K and this one particular lemon is worth $10,000 instead of mine being $10.
If you were put his income and my income, the proportionality makes sense. Or so I hope.

I am not trying to make this personal with you or Hook, or say that @BGN123 is wrong is his quest. For that matter, I am not even saying that Yamaha sucks, I am just trying to describe how a for profit entity operates and he should not hold his breath. @BGN123 is a perfect example on why I don't buy new boats or used boats from people I do not know personally. But that takes nothing away from my very best wishes for him and his boat.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This reminds me of the timing chain issues. And Yamaha sticking their head in the sand.

@yamaha

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jet Steering LLC, post: 527194, member:
I was just looking at some of this and the first thing I wanted to do is view the break in the driveshaft if this is your actual driveshaft look at the center and how it looks rusted and rough and then look at the edge to the right and how it looks smooth and clean this indicates that the drive shaft appears to have had a flaw in the center indicated by the rough rusted area and was fractured prior to the entire shaft failing where it is clean and smooth. Just my observation but the rusted part obviously failed first and for a while from the looks of it. So that would appear to support a faulty shaft.
View attachment 147910
Considering the money involved, I would hire a metallurgist with failure mode analysis experience to examine the shaft. As Jeff points out, the probable failure mode can usually be determined from examining the piece(s) afterward. A couple of possibilities: improper heat treat or a seam in the metal. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so I've been around jetboats for over 15 years, the number of times I've read about a broken shaft other than the current year model, I can't remember any, now mix in all the jetski's

now think of all the things we've seen sucked up, rocks, golfballs, branches, ropes tight enough to cut the fiberglass hull, many ran for countless hours some so bad they cause the engine to immediately stall, now mix in all the jetskis out there,

for Yamaha to write this off as "there's a ding in your impeller, that caused your shaft to break" is ridiculous and very disappointing,

but after the waketower debacle, the timing chain issues, the oil cooler bolt issue, it doesn't surprise me,

I hope that the OP does send this out for examination and hires a lawyer but I certainly understand that is an emotional and time investement that he may not need to make,

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
so I've been around jetboats for over 15 years, the number of times I've read about a broken shaft other than the current year model, I can't remember any, now mix in all the jetski's

now think of all the things we've seen sucked up, rocks, golfballs, branches, ropes tight enough to cut the fiberglass hull, many ran for countless hours some so bad they cause the engine to immediately stall, now mix in all the jetskis out there,

for Yamaha to write this off as "there's a ding in your impeller, that caused your shaft to break" is ridiculous and very disappointing,

but after the waketower debacle, the timing chain issues, the oil cooler bolt issue, it doesn't surprise me,

I hope that the OP does send this out for examination and hires a lawyer but I certainly understand that is an emotional and time investement that he may not need to make,

Scottintexas, what was the waketower debacle?

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Fwiw I’m taking Yamaha at face value that they saw something. I have no clue about these things. Prior to them saying this, the only info I had was a mechanic who said he didn’t see anything. But this same mechanic said the engine was okay and gave the boat back to me when it was messed up. I really do appreciate the help and comments. And wrt fighting Yamaha Im not doing it because I believe them (now that they explained it) and because it wouldn’t work anyway. But this is a negative experience. Hopefully back on the water by summer.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Scottintexas, what was the waketower debacle?
swatski's tower that collapsed because the screw threads weren't long/pitched enough ( I can't remember exactly) and then other owners with that model confirmed, I can't search for the thread now,