• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone in the south had issues during the freeze?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Right before Christmas, we were hit with quite the freeze, the likes we usually don't have here (Atlanta). For context, I've never winterized my boat. I will be heading to the marina soon to check on the old girl but I was wondering if anyone encountered any issues.

I had no issues here in NEFL and I store the boat outside. It got below freezing as well. You should be good.

Some of my plants died.

nope none 52 was the coldest got here one night...

Neighbors tankless water heater froze up....I defrosted it for them with a hair dryer.

In Houston we had three days between like 15 degrees and 32 degrees a few weeks ago. I store the boat in a garage on the Lake and I took it out on Tuesday and it started up no problem. I had not run it since last September. Your Boat should be fine. I just fill ours with gas, add some fuel stabilizer and run engine (forward throttle) for a few seconds out of water when I know its going be near freezing to get any water out that just might freeze.

Neighbors tankless water heater froze up....I defrosted it for them with a hair dryer.

How's that happen? Isn't the whole point of those that they don't hold much water and get super hot to put the heat in on demand?

How's that happen? Isn't the whole point of those that they don't hold much water and get super hot to put the heat in on demand?

They still have heat exchanger tubes in them that are filled with water.. if you have exposed things like this just leave a faucet on a trickle, hot water in this case, to keep, water flowing through it and it will not freeze.

They still have heat exchanger tubes in them that are filled with water.. if you have exposed things like this just leave a faucet on a trickle, hot water in this case, to keep, water flowing through it and it will not freeze.

From a Northener...The one I had freeze up before and repaired, barn duty, usually have a flow sensor and will not ignite to heat water unless there is a certain flow rate. A trickle was not enough to make hot water. This was 25 years ago, maybe different now, but a trickle of ambient temp/ground water keeps the water moving and from freezing in those Southern freeze events most of the time.

I would not worry about my Yamaha as long as I drained the water from the hull and blew out the exhaust boxes after each outing. Just like a horse, don't ride it hard and put it away wet.

Edit: Folks that experience this weather and may have exposed "waterworks" that could freeze may find it beneficial to add drain valves at low points, that or a length of heat trace with a built in thermostat.

Last edited:
Theirs was mounted on the outside of their house as they didn't have space for it in their crawl (or their contractor was just lazy/fat and didn't want to crawl). As such, the feeder pipes froze. They should have left water running but didn't (they are getting old - in their late 70s early 80s). Since we got to it quickly, no damage done. Lots of people in the area had similar problems. I should have posted on Nextdoor that I'll fix it for them for $150.....the plumbers here were probably charging $175+ just to show up.

My Rinnai used to freeze up(its mounted outside also) doesn't freeze up any more, the inlet pipe that goes from my crawlspace to exposed outside air was not insulated. Since insulating it very well its never had issues.

Back