• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dreaded anchor locker drainage question

Sroc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Dreaded anchor locker drainage question
Has anyone sealed the anchor locker drain from the exterior if so how was it done? Did it drastically reduce the amount of water that comes into the boat and to the bilge pump?
TIA

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The reason that water gets from the anchor locker to the bilge is that the drain hole thru hull fitting is not coming all the way through into the anchor locker itself and water is leaking down in between the anchor locker tub and the hull. I did not use the link that @Dixemon posted, but look up water leak posts by @drewkaree, he did a very detailed post on how he fixed that issue.

Edit: Clicked on the link that @Dixemon posted and the first thing I see is a picture clearly showing what I mentioned above…

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe not the most popular/common way to do it, and maybe a bit overkill.

I ripped out the white plastic fitting on my AR250 and replaced it with this stainless one, then used 3M 5200 to seal/adhere it in place. It did not reach through far enough to thread it on, but I sealed it to the anchor locker panel.

That thru hull fitting is just an empty tube inside, so I put some 5200 on this and shoved it in there from the inside, then cut off flush the part sticking up in to the anchor locker.

I tested it with a hose after. Water doesn't come in, and water drains out of the anchor locker.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You will want to fix the through hull fitting that's leaking at the bottom of the anchor locker as that's the only way for water that comes up on a wet line/anchor can drain out. Otherwise you'll be up to your elbows in there with a turkey baster getting the water out of the bottom of that cabinet.

Here's a tip: When I've had the boat out for a day and before either trailering home or covering it up, I always lay the line about on the floor of the boat so it can get air to it and dry (this prevents it from rotting).

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The link that @Dixemon posted is definitely the place to start. One think members have tried is to simply stick a rubber stopper in from the outside (not the inside) as a way to see if their leak is cured. If it is, then you know that sealing that fitting is your next step.

If you have a leaking boat, you will want to look at the threads linked in this FAQ:

As it has the ultimate leak finding thread - if you find a new one - I'll add it!

MajorBummer210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will seal it properly with everything and gel coat at the end of season….in the meantime…I stuff the hole with duct tape and put JB weld on it and have a dry boat. That drain plug hole….

Chrisbert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
One would think that Yamaha would add a manufacturing step to finish the hole. I mean what the actual...; just put a 2 piece fitting in there so the inside has a sealed flange.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will seal it properly with everything and gel coat at the end of season….in the meantime…I stuff the hole with duct tape and put JB weld on it and have a dry boat. That drain plug hole….
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

My neighbor told me the one thing you never want to do is get your boat wet, then you've gotta dry it, clean it, wax it....

@Sotally Tober has sealed up his drain, IIRC. I'm guessing that sticking a sponge in there will take care of any water that gets in through the top of the anchor locker hatch openings. I'd go with the sponge for faster and easier water removal than a turkey baster, besides, you'll need something to clean the interior, so why dirty two things up?

You will likely reduce a ton of water getting into your bilge. If your fitting is nicely sealed around the outside, you may stop any water entry in that area altogether. It may also be getting in elsewhere at the same time. Tackle all the stuff @Julian has collected in the FAQ for easy reference until you reach an acceptable amount of water coming out of your drain plug at the end of your boating session. If your anchor locker drain hole looks like it was drilled with a shotgun, that'd be a definite area to consider fixing.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe not the most popular/common way to do it, and maybe a bit overkill.

I ripped out the white plastic fitting on my AR250 and replaced it with this stainless one, then used 3M 5200 to seal/adhere it in place. It did not reach through far enough to thread it on, but I sealed it to the anchor locker panel.

That thru hull fitting is just an empty tube inside, so I put some 5200 on this and shoved it in there from the inside, then cut off flush the part sticking up in to the anchor locker.

I tested it with a hose after. Water doesn't come in, and water drains out of the anchor locker.
Just curious, with your leak, where was the water going?

I noticed the carpet on my port bow storage compartment was wet. It was sitting in storage for 3 weeks since last use, so trying to see where this water came from.

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious, with your leak, where was the water going?
I think it was going to the ski locker and then the bilge, but I only had the issue one time before fixing it. My mother in law, wife, and son were all riding in the bow through a low speed area by the ramp. I was the only other person. My father in law is around 300lbs and was sitting right up against the stbd side of the anchor locker so the bow was riding low. Then I noticed the bilge kick on and keep running. I looked over and noticed that the anchor locker drain was bobbing up and down right at the water line. My father in law moved to one of the rear seats and the bilge stopped shortly after.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you have not already done so, be sure and check out @drewkaree ’s thread on the anchor locker drain here:

You can see my anchor locker drain replacement on page 6 post #118 of the linked thread above.

After I got my drain replaced and sealed up I found a flip top drain plug in the bargain bin at Scheels to plug it off, If you are like me and do not use your anchor very much you can just plug the drain and not worry about water coming in. If you do use your anchor on an outing just pull the plug when you get home. And, your locker may enable you to put that flip top plug inside the anchor locker, I could not in mine.

5BBE370B-3AA5-4151-AC6A-A554D09FE2EB.jpegC34DC4BC-74ED-4C7B-92FE-FD0E2A0C5C27.jpeg

Last edited: