• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Had enough! Anchor locker hatch.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nice! It looks like the OG hinge you just left hanging after disconnecting from the boat? Also what hinge did you use for the left side? Any other gotchas or hints to doing this?

I was looking at another post where they just made the rear hinge come apart so you could remove the hatch but I would rather do like you did.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is there a reason you left the original hinges on vs filling the holes with 5200 and sanding it down?

Love the mod! Don't know what Yamaha was thinking having it hinged they way they did! Next up...put a gas strut on it....maybe reuse those holes???

vesder21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
yes, great job @Dixemon! can you link the parts/measurements for the rest of us as I would love to convert mine for next year!

TomP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Awesome - Great Job - The only ding I have in my new fsh 195 is from trying to get the anchor up with chain on it because of the way the hatch opens. This mod is now on my bucket list.

Tom

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I left the original hinges on because ascetically it made more sense. The hinges sit in a recess that is further highlighted by the Sea-deck, so it basically would look stupid, in my opinion to remove them. If you really had time you could fill with polyester resin, sand it out and finish it. Then get a piece of sea deck cut without the hinge cutouts.
The hinge i used: Amazon.com: Thorn Boat Butt Door Hinge Stainless Steel Marine Cabinet Window Hardware Lift-Off Pair of 2 : Sports & Outdoors
Im not necessarily happy with the hinge, i had to mill a 1/16 off the faces of the hinge. It was too thick to have a uniform gap around the hatch. I was looking for a hinge that was about 3/16 thick when it was closed, this one is about 1/4 thick. Honestly i may continue searching for another hinge, i didn't think until after i installed but, i am going to look at some of the other hinges on the boat and buy a set that i think will work. I like the tensioned hinges.
Some of the other take aways. The hinge to hull attach point needs screws with nuts, not quite thick enough to hold a screw effectively in that area. also, you will need some starboard, cheap cutting board or the likes to make a few ledges like in the above picture. the hatch will need support when the OG hinges are disconnected. A few small clamps will def make the install easier.
So, i know this isn't the answer everyone was looking for as far as a complete guide with parts break down. But i feel it could be done better, so i dont want to be definitive in my recommendations. But Hey, it works!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I didnt see alot of people online adressing this issue. I took matters into my own hands in an effort to undo yamaha's bone head design.
Dude that’s awesome! I’m kinda motivated to correct the hatch opening direction after my anchoring folly at Lake Powell…

Well Done!

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Used it this weekend for the first time. Worked like a dream, no awquard deployment or retrieval of the anchor any longer, admiral and slaves seem to like it.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Nice job! :winkingthumbsup"

You would think that whomever designs the boat, would actually try in out. Yamaha is not the only manufacturer to so this! :rolleyes:

Jim

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I didnt see alot of people online adressing this issue. I took matters into my own hands in an effort to undo yamaha's bone head design.
After being inspired by your modification, I just completed mine using a 2" Stainless Continuous Hinge. The hinge is not quite as rigid as I had hoped but its not bad enough to chnge it out yet.

Attachments

nofd843

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
After being inspired by your modification, I just completed mine using a 2" Stainless Continuous Hinge. The hinge is not quite as rigid as I had hoped but its not bad enough to chnge it out yet.
Where did you get your hinge?

Thanks

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length